X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2019-2020: Motzko 2.0

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Fully updated roster.

19 Fr./So. and 3 Sr. I realized they were young but seeing it right there....wow.

How does Bob get out of a cycle of having so many new Fr. coming in every 2-3 years? I realize that's a pretty loaded question given how many moving parts there are and the inevitable unknowns that come around every off-season but...
    Seems like a mixture of 1, 2, 3 and 4 year players will get out of the cycle quickly. Just sort of aligned this way this year with combo of early departures and graduations. But when some of the freshman are coming in at a range of ages, it also tempers the impact, compared to the days of all 18 y.o freshmen.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
      That said, I do look for this team to exceed expectations, which certainly was not the case last season.
      So your expectation is to exceed what you expect?

I thought there were unknowns going into last year, especially with a suspect D corp, so I wouldn't say I was surprised by the season.

I don't have high expectations this year given how unpredictable freshmen will be adjusting to the NCAA, the unknown goaltender situation and the loss of some top players like Pitlick and Sheehy and Novak whose contributions will be difficult to replace. That isn't to say I would be surprised if they have a better season than last either. Too many years of watching teams that returned the core and looked poised to compete for a championship that under-performed, or teams that looked like they would be outgunned that went further than expected. That is why they play the games, and what makes it so fun (and sometimes agonizing) to watch. Chemistry is difficult to predict (and I think that often the coach has less control on this than many people believe). But with 19 Freshman and sophomores and unproven goaltending, I have trouble EXPECTING any specific outcome.

But I've got my tickets for Duluth. (If you go to buy, the fee from UMD is $5 vs TicketMaster's $15 PER ticket.)

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
        So your expectation is to exceed what you expect?
        No I meant that I expect this team to exceed the general consensus. I think a very realistic goal would be to qualify for the NCAA Tournament.
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

SportsCenter anchor John Buccigross has Big Ten teams Penn St., Wisconsin and Ohio State (??) in his "Top 16". A Top 20 poll was just too much for Bucci Mane.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
            Chemistry is difficult to predict (and I think that often the coach has less control on this than many people believe). But with 19 Freshman and sophomores and unproven goaltending, I have trouble EXPECTING any specific outcome.
            The only line chemistry that has some predictability is the BMW line. Not sure they can come close to KHL line (MSU) production, but it took a couple seasons for that line to reach the flow state of performance (total pts. 108). Limoges/Barratt/Folkes from Penn St. are back for another offensive attack and were the top scoring line in the NCAA last season (135 pts). Their first season together (62 pts/2017-18) was very similar to the BMW line (61 pts.) last season. The BMW definitely has something to build on and should raise the bar this season. How high remains to be seen, but they will be the top scoring line.

Comment

2019-20 BIG TEN PRESEASON POLL

Penn State
              Notre Dame
              Wisconsin
              Ohio State
              Minnesota
              Michigan
              Michigan State

With much of their high octane scoring returning, Penn St. is my early pick for the B1G title. The Liam Folkes' line with Evan Barratt and Alex Limoges is back who combined for 53 goals and 70 assists for 123 points good for 3.84 points per game, the most in the nation by any one line. Limoges tied Hirose (MSU -signed with Detroit) for most points in the nation last season. Their only negative is their D has to improve and Peyton Jones has to stop being a sieve. The Nittany Lions had the dubious honor of landing last in the B1G in GA and 5th in the nation. PSU is hosting the regional in their backyard in Allentown, PA in 2020, so if they get those things fixed they're a FF team.

Notre Dame was young on the backline last season and only lost four seniors, so they'll be tough this season as well. With Cale Morris returning in net, whose .093 SV% was 7th in the nation, ND will be much improved from last season.

Michigan lost Josh Norris and Hughes, but the bulk of their scoring returns and they will also fight for 3th-4th. First rounder Cam York will anchor the D. They struggled in net last season. But they're bringing in 6-6, Goteborg, Sweden native, Erik Portillo (Frolunda HC J20) which seems like a nice find for the Wolverines.

Much of the scoring by committee for UW will be returning and they have one of their best recruiting classes in recent years coming in with first round forwards Alex Turcotte and Cole Caufield. Perhaps the weakest link in the chain for BADgers are the netminders, Jack Berry and Daniel Lebedeff. With numbers like (GA 3.19/SV% .895) and (GA 3.42/SV% .893) last season, pick your poison cuz they're both mediocre in net.

Both Ohio State and the Gophers lost a lot of scoring and I think these two teams will fight for some place (4th-6th) on the low end of the pack in the B1G standings.

My Picks

Penn St.
              Notre Dame
              Michigan
              Wisconsin
              Minnesota
              Ohio State
              Michigan St.
              Last edited by SteveO; 10-01-2019, 09:12 AM.

Comment

NCAA 2019-20 National Poll

1 Minnesota Duluth (49) 29-11-2 996
                2 Denver 24-12-5 891
                3 Minnesota State (1) 32-8-2 788
                4 Massachusetts 31-10-0 737
                5 Cornell 21-11-4 673
                6 St. Cloud 30-6-3 566
                7 Providence 24-12-6 550
                8 Quinnipiac 26-10-2 526
                9 Notre Dame 23-14-3 509
                10 Clarkson 26-11-2 500
                11 Boston College 14-22-3 466
                12 Ohio State 20-11-5 449
                13 Penn State 22-15-2 406
                14 Western Michigan 21-15-1 371
                15 Northeastern 27-11-1 359
                16 Wisconsin 14-18-5 300
                17 Bowling Green 25-11-5 283
                18 North Dakota 18-17-2 211
                19 Harvard 19-11-3 195
                20 Arizona State 21-13-1 181
                Last edited by SteveO; 10-01-2019, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                    Ben needs to go.

Comment

At least it's progress over what we had on play by play, plus a smoking new "sideline" reporter.

Comment

Gopher fans will never be happy
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                          Gopher fans will never be happy
                          I haven't heard her even talk, but I happy with the selection of Bobbie Bohlig.

Comment

Here you go from the 2-2 tie in the exhibition tonight.

Can't read much into a scrimmage.
                            -Overall and on the PP it was sloppy for sure. That is to be expected.
                            -Lacombe and Johnson will be the two best D on the team by Christmas if not before. Not surprising.
                            -Stucker seemed to be "QB1" on the PP. I hope and don't expect this to last long.
                            -Lacombe was kind of QB2. I expect him to take over for Stucker.
                            -Usually you have three D on your two PP units. I expect it to end up Lacombe on 1 with four forwards, and Johnson with either Stucker or Nanne on the second unit.
                            -D depth is better than F depth in terms of the extra skater. I expect Staudacher to be the most common extra skater, especially with his physicality.
                            -This will leave Denman and Rossini looking for playing time.
                            -With 7 D, the top 12 F is clear, especially until Weber comes back. Munson and Marooney won't play much.
                            -Sammy will be the best player on the team and there won't be much debate.
                            -The freshmen look like they will all be fine.
                            -Hopefully BB (and Ranta) get enough chances to release their great shots.
                            -Nelson and Sorenson should be good replacements immediately for Romanko and Ramsey. Nelson looks to have a good wrist shot. Hopefully he can hit the net more than Romanko, and if so, he'll score more than Romanko did. Thank god lol.
                            -I know it's one game, but did Reedy play?

-I'd say between 1,500 and 2,000 in the arena.
                            -Beer has finally arrived. It will sell well. There need to be WAY more recycling bins. Coke has them but in hard to read print they say plastic bottles only. People will constantly screw that up.
                            -Pitlick is not on the mural yet. Confusing.
                            -The bathooms had an exit only sign on one side. Good luck with that LMAO.
                            -How the NCAA still doesn't allow visors is beyond me.
                            Last edited by Bonin21; 10-06-2019, 08:18 PM.

Comment

The bathroom exit only: LOL!!!!!!!!!

Things that have literally zero chance of happening for $400 Alex.
                              Code:
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Wait, as in just visors on the helmets? No full masks?

Because they’re still kids playing for sport, not money.
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X