Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2019-2020: Motzko 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2019-2020: Motzko 2.0

If only 3M could somehow add screens around the rink so fans could watch the things they usually watch instead of Gopher hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
      Recognize the name, but no recall about him. Can you tell us a little about him? I've got time.
      I won't act like I've watched him a ton. But I know this:

+ Local kid, HS teammate of Stucker, essentially a one year rental which is a growing thing in college hockey
      + 55 points in his first three years. Here are the depressing career totals of all the Gopher D since Reilly left (68 (Bischoff), 48, 43, 40, 37, 31, 23, 22, 16, 13, 11, 10, 10, 10, 10, 8, 6, 2)
      + 21 points last year
      + 28 power play points in his career. We could use any PP help at the point we can get just in case.

- Shoots left, which is not ideal for the roster
      - Faber would likely have to agree to play a year in the USHL

Comment

Anyone disagree with the answers to some good questions?

http://www.startribune.com/mailbag-w...ain/569063572/
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
          Anyone disagree with the answers to some good questions?

https://www.startribune.com/mailbag-...ain/569063572/
          A return to the NCAA tournament -- and making an impact in it -- should be the expectation next season, and this team has the personnel to do so.
          Reedy had a breakout season and gets my vote for "most improved player", doubling his point totals from 2018-19. His SH% was off the charts at 23.1%. Sampo Ranta doubled his goal scoring from the previous season as well.

Sammy Walker and Blake McLaughlin didn't make huge strides from the previous season. Ben Meyers far eclipsed all freshman in scoring and if he gets off to a better start next season I can see him having a 20 G season.

I'm not at a place where I can see making an "impact" in the NCAAs should be "expected". The Gophers need more consistent scoring for that to happen. The PP was pretty bad this season too.

I think there's increasing fan pressure on Motzko to make the NCAAs next season. He won't have "they're young" mantra anymore. He's got to get it done or IMO he's in the hot seat.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
            Reedy had a breakout season and gets my vote for "most improved player", doubling his point totals from 2018-19. His SH% was off the charts at 23.1%. Sampo Ranta doubled his goal scoring from the previous season as well.

Sammy Walker and Blake McLaughlin didn't make huge strides from the previous season. Ben Meyers far eclipsed all freshman in scoring and if he gets off to a better start next season I can see him having a 20 G season.

I'm not at a place where I can see making an "impact" in the NCAAs should be "expected". The Gophers need more consistent scoring for that to happen. The PP was pretty bad this season too.

I think there's increasing fan pressure on Motzko to make the NCAAs next season. He won't have "they're young" mantra anymore. He's got to get it done or IMO he's in the hot seat.
            I think this a fair assessment. Now if they can get marginally better GAA% (which was not horrible but spotty at times) combined with more scoring they should take a step. And you're right the PP was abysmal and has to improve. That they return so many key players should help if the progression doesn't stagnate.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post

I guess it depends on how you define "impact". While I don't expect them to make the Frozen Four, I think a reasonable expectation would be to not only qualify for the NCAA tournament, but to:

a) Be seeded high enough to be considered a favorite to win their first game - and win it, and
              b) Play their opponent in the Regional Final even. I think winning that game and advancing to the Frozen Four would exceed any reasonable expectation.

Comment

Since I'm banned from GPL lol...
                For years people give me crap about suggesting some kind of cross conference setup. Over and over they say it will never happen and we have to accept the way things are. And now Vegoe tweets something like this.
                https://***********/evegoe/status/1242883539449896960

Gopher hockey needs the old rivalries in meaningful games. The fans are not just gonna get over it. When it finally happens all the people that said it will never happen will be silent.

Comment

Why did they ban you?.

Also, I'm very much on board with that setup.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Questions:

When was the last time an end-of-season conference playoff included teams from two different conferences?
                    How exactly would this ever become a thing - who would have to approve it? The coaches, the AD's, Big Ten and other conference officials, and finally the NCAA?

I give it a snowballs chance in hell.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                      Since I'm banned from GPL lol...
                      For years people give me crap about suggesting some kind of cross conference setup. Over and over they say it will never happen and we have to accept the way things are. And now Vegoe tweets something like this.
                      https://***********/evegoe/status/1242883539449896960

Gopher hockey needs the old rivalries in meaningful games. The fans are not just gonna get over it. When it finally happens all the people that said it will never happen will be silent.
                      He did it for fun and it's not going to happen so yeah, it's still time to get over it. Also pretty sure you weren't banned.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                        He did it for fun and it's not going to happen so yeah, it's still time to get over it. Also pretty sure you weren't banned.
                        Unless GPL is practicing social distancing with posters who have the eeyore-itis virus. You know like finding that cloud in a silver lining.

Comment

I was temp banned because I called SCC "private p***ies" for not moving up lol. Maybe the world is more PC than a few years ago when it would be chanted at the X. It wasn't targeted at the kids themselves. Think they were looking for an excuse to do it anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                            Questions:

When was the last time an end-of-season conference playoff included teams from two different conferences?
                            How exactly would this ever become a thing - who would have to approve it? The coaches, the AD's, Big Ten and other conference officials, and finally the NCAA?

I give it a snowballs chance in hell.
                            Back in the old days (the 80s), the WCHA had an "interlocking" schedule with Hockey East, meaning teams from the two conferences would play each other a handful of times during the regular season, and the games would count in the regular season conference standings. But then then each conference held a post-season tournament with just its own teams.

If I recall correctly, this started around the time the WCHA only had six teams (Minnesota, Wisconsin, UMD, UND, CC, and Denver) and was looking for other teams to play. Hockey East was a relatively new conference and wanted to establish itself. The arrangement ran its course after a while (6-10 years?), partly because St. Cloud State went D-1 and Tech came back to the WCHA from the CCHA.

Comment

Originally posted by duluthguy View Post
                              WCHA only had six teams (Minnesota, Wisconsin, UMD, UND, CC, and Denver)
                              What a conference

Comment

Any flight risks on the table from last season? I can't think of anyone who might make the jump.

Assessment on Ryan Johnson from The Hockey Writers:

The Sabres were fortunate to have two picks in the first round. With the 31st pick, they selected defenseman Ryan Johnson.

Johnson has had a solid, though unspectacular freshman campaign with the Minnesota Golden Gophers. Not projected to ever put up massive point totals, Johnson has accumulated 8 assists in 32 games. He continues to display his excellent skating which is without a doubt his greatest asset.

His point totals may not ever become elite. What is strong is his ability to defend. Johnson will likely spend at least two more seasons with the Golden Gophers. The disappointment of not making Team USA at the World Junior Championship can hopefully bolster him to improve his game going forward.

The Sabres’ defense will look very different by the time Johnson is ready to make the jump to the NHL. What we do know is if he makes it he will be behind Rasmus Dahlin. Just how far down he is below that remains to be seen.
                                Last edited by SteveO; 03-26-2020, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X