Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2019-2020: Motzko 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2019-2020: Motzko 2.0

Anyone that leaves for the pros would be making a massive, frankly idiotic, mistake.

I expect at least one of Denman or Rossini to leave since there will likely be three D coming in (leaving 10 total if no one leaves). 7 D will dress. Fish probably won't play much as a freshman.

Comment

What are the experts saying about LaCombe? I thought he really came on strong towards the end of his freshman year.
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
        What are the experts saying about LaCombe? I thought he really came on strong towards the end of his freshman year.
        Hot off the press:

Anaheim director of player development Todd Marchant on University of Minnesota freshman defenseman Jackson LaCombe: “Jackson’s had a very strong year as a true freshman. He’s an excellent skater, he likes to get up in the play and he has definitely gotten better in the defensive zone since the beginning of the season. The sky’s the limit for Jackson because of his ability to skate. He can get himself out of trouble and he’s got very good vision coming through the neutral zone to get the puck to players.”
        He actually had more points in the first half and played pretty good shutdown defense. He seemed to jump up into the rush and pinch more often in the second half showcasing his elite skating and puck handling ability in the o-zone. Even though there were times when he went solo and perhaps held the puck a little too long, as he matures I think he'll be one of best offensive D the Gopher's have had in quite some time.

Comment

We should expect 25 points from him next year, minimum.

Comment

Question: Who gets your vote for MVP and why?

Comment

Meyers. By the end of the year he looked like the best player most often. Walker/McLaughlin/Ranta disappeared too much and though Reedy and McManus had better years, they still haven't come close to the expectations when they committed. There was not much separation between Meyers and Walker, though.

The good thing is all six are back, and hopefully Sorenson/Brodzinski/Perbix/Nelson have more confidence and the game has slowed down for them next season.
              Last edited by Bonin21; 03-27-2020, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                Question: Who gets your vote for MVP and why?
                I don't know if any one player stood out enough to deserve a true "MVP", which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Their improvement in the second half was truly a team effort.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                  Since I'm banned from GPL lol...
                  For years people give me crap about suggesting some kind of cross conference setup. Over and over they say it will never happen and we have to accept the way things are. And now Vegoe tweets something like this.
                  https://***********/evegoe/status/1242883539449896960

Gopher hockey needs the old rivalries in meaningful games. The fans are not just gonna get over it. When it finally happens all the people that said it will never happen will be silent.
                  They will get over it but it will take 20 years from now.
                  Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                  dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                  wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Gotta admit I'm glad NCAA isn't allowing another year eligibility for seniors of winter sports. There were a lot of other teams in country that would have potentially gained a lot more than MN, and could have messed up future classes as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                      Gotta admit I'm glad NCAA isn't allowing another year eligibility for seniors of winter sports. There were a lot of other teams in country that would have potentially gained a lot more than MN, and could have messed up future classes as well.
                      Totally agree.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                        The way things look it doesn't matter one way or another. I don't think there will be a 2020-21 Gopher season.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                          The way things look it doesn't matter one way or another. I don't think there will be a 2020-21 Gopher season.
                          After some nice cuts in season ticket prices, the renewal rate is going to be dreadful because of the unknown everyone is dealing with personally. They will certainly have to extend the deadline by months.

I would think there would be at least a half season next year. The 100th Gopher hockey season could start in January just like the first one. Early departures could happen well into the fall, and some that said they're going to stay may leave.

Comment

After some nice cuts in season ticket prices, the renewal rate is going to be dreadful because of the unknown everyone is dealing with personally. They will certainly have to extend the deadline by months.
                            I renewed my season tickets right away, before the virus threat exploded. If the season doesn't materialize - called off completely - I would expect to receive a full refund of approximately $900. If they decide on just a half a season will be played then I would expect my ~$900 to be pro-rated.

We'll see.

Comment

I would think there would be at least a half season next year. The 100th Gopher hockey season could start in January just like the first one. Early departures could happen well into the fall, and some that said they're going to stay may leave.
                              If the NCAA season is on hold surely NHL, AHL etc., will also be on hold. I see no reason why this situation would escalate early departures.

Comment

What a game...

(Wish I could see some games form the year Neal won the Hobey. I just remember thinking how dominant that Roseau line was, I wish I could watch them again to really see if they were as good as I remember.)

Comment

Working...
                                X