Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2019-2020: Motzko 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2019-2020: Motzko 2.0

NCAA granting eligibility to student-athletes in spring sports sounds like a logistical nightmare.

The NCAA has decided to address rule changes that would provide avenues for Division I student-athletes in spring sports to regain lost eligibility and is considering the possibility of enacting similar waivers for athletes in winter sports whose seasons were recently cut short.

"Council leadership agreed that eligibility relief is appropriate for all Division I student-athletes who participated in spring sports," the Division I Council Coordination Committee said in a statement.

In a letter to member schools, the committee said "that it will be appropriate to grant relief for the use of a season of competition for student-athletes who have participated in spring sports. The committee recognizes that several issues need to be addressed related to providing an additional season of competition, including financial aid implications." - USA Today
    I think something like a "red-shirt year" is fair for seniors in spring sports (i.e. baseball, softball and men's and women's lacrosse), but can it happen for winter sports? I'd be surprised if the NCAA enacts a similar waiver for winter sports. It's a massive logistical undertaking with multiple factors that need to be addressed and resolved.

Arguably some seniors who have already finalized their post-graduation plans are moving on with their lives and would not be able to take advantage of the eligibility waiver. It also creates a potential "log jam" for the 2020-21 recruiting class which intends to replace a number of outgoing athletes. Will the NCAA loosen roster and scholarship limits? How does the school pay for the extra scholarships?

Comment

Gopher fans should be hoping they do not allow that... The Gophers had a weak senior class, and other schools would benefit more decreasing the likelihood of the Gophers contending next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
        Gopher fans should be hoping they do not allow that... The Gophers had a weak senior class, and other schools would benefit more decreasing the likelihood of the Gophers contending next year.
        Good point. I think it's dumb they're even thinking about it.
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Rumor has it Minnesota will shrink Mariucci Arena to 8,500ish.
          Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
          dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
          wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Gophers up 1-0!!
            https://***********/fakebobmotzko/st...825923078?s=20

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
            And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
            Twenty red lights in his honor
            Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
              Rumor has it Minnesota will shrink Mariucci Arena to 8,500ish.
              Source? I don't think they need to drop 1,500 seats to take 7.5 feet off the width of the ice.

Comment

Source? I don't think they need to drop 1,500 seats to take 7.5 feet off the width of the ice.
                What is the latest cost estimate to shrink the width to 92.5 feet? And is there any kind of a firm plan as to when this will be completed?

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                  What is the latest cost estimate to shrink the width to 92.5 feet? And is there any kind of a firm plan as to when this will be completed?
                  The only one of us that would be close to being in the know which is Vegoe said it could happen next summer I think since they are no longer waiting to start projects until all funds are secured.

Comment

The only one of us that would be close to being in the know which is Vegoe said it could happen next summer I think since they are no longer waiting to start projects until all funds are secured.
                    Makes sense. From what I've heard the university is already carrying more debt than it should. Hopefully they'll sell out most of their football games which would help pay some of that debt down.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                      Shrinking the ice seems like a fairly low cost endeavor (at least compared to expanding the sheet). I am not up-to-date on the issue, so forgive the newbie questions:

What are the construction needs for a shrinking project? new re-sized boards and floor coverings for now-exposed portions of the ice bearing surface? Or does the floor of the arena need to be replaced?

I assume that this would be done for competitive purposes, but would it make that much of a difference?

Comment

They don't have to but attendance has been bad so they have decided to shrink the arena. Moreover, when the rink expanded to 10k the Wild were not in town yet.

Comment

They don't have to but attendance has been bad so they have decided to shrink the arena.
                          Are you just making stuff up now? This project would make no sense in a nearly 30 year old building.

Comment

They don't have to but attendance has been bad so they have decided to shrink the arena. Moreover, when the rink expanded to 10k the Wild were not in town yet.
                            Sorry, not buying it.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post
                              Sorry, not buying it.
                              No need to apologize because what he made up is ridiculous.

Comment

Are you just making stuff up now? This project would make no sense in a nearly 30 year old building.
                                This person works in the athletic department and I was stunned he made this statement.

Comment

Working...
                                X