X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2019-2020: Motzko 2.0

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    What does this entail?
    Getting more butts in the seats. For example, Motzko will be seen more on Wild broadcasts selling Gopher hockey. We will see more of partnership and promtions between the Wild organization and Gopher hockey. The Wild people have said we don't want to see what happened to Gopher hockey.
    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
      A bit aggressive trix. I'd tried softening my views by stating in my earlier post this was not intended to be personal or condescending. With regard to your statement, it spurred my curiosity because it doesn't seem to match what you stated earlier this year:

As a university professor with a PhD, I teach basic, multivariate and advanced statistics and research methods among other subjects. I've taught over 25 courses and it's impossible to not have studied the various forms of regression analysis if you've taken a multivariate stat course, which is by far the most widely used statistical tool in virtually every professional domain of science, sports, manufacturing and business.

I do stand by my statement that you have misunderstood the study I posted. However, I don't have any interest in pursuing this any further, especially discussing more in-depth stat matters here on USCHO.
      Can you repeat the part of the stuff where you said all about the things?

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
        The problem is we don't even know how that site is assigning its star ratings, one of the main bases for how the algorithm is rating the recruiting classes and the "study's" conclusion that the Gophers have had elite recruiting classes the last few years. They don't give a ton of info on how they assign that nor any real transparency as to the variables in the algorithm or the weights etc. This isn't terribly shocking for a pay site that wants to sell the idea that they have some comprehensive rating system (yet don't want people actually digging into the nuts and bolts) but there's no real reason to just assume these ratings (and thus the outputs of the algorithm) are accurate especially when we can see with our own eyes that they probably aren't. You seem to be just taking the outputs of the alorithm as gospel and coming to the conclusion that Motzko isn't coaching the team up because of the results of this "study" despite the fact that it clearly flies in the face of reality and we don't really even have that much info on the methodology. I'd also argue that the article even admits that it's overrating 18 year old NTDP players based on potential rather than current output, which isn't terribly useful when trying to evaluate the current talent level of the team. I think we can reasonably say that Ben Meyers is currently a better player than Reedy or McManus and yet that algorithm would probably come to the opposite conclusion (can't say for sure without paying).

I'd also point out that Casey Mittlestadt is no longer part of the team and he was partly the reason one of those classes was highly rated.
        I completely agree with you. It’s trying to assign some sort of objective rating but it uses completely subjective inputs. Stats don’t magically transform the subjective to the objective.

A .400 average is just a number. By itself it doesn’t tell us whether it’s a good average or bad. It only has meaning when compared to other people in the same population and done objectively. Applying this to baseball: that Juan Doe played in the Dominican Leagues but John Doe played in the Little League World Series means nothing. You can’t assign them objective values and say this draft class is better than others.

And completely agree on the numbers machine clearly not passing the eye test. Sure, that’s generally a subjective measurement. But when the results are so clearly lopsided on the ice when comparing Duluth and Minnesota, it’s hard to know whether that’s an outlier or a completely broken system.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
          Getting more butts in the seats. For example, Motzko will be seen more on Wild broadcasts selling Gopher hockey. We will see more of partnership and promtions between the Wild organization and Gopher hockey. The Wild people have said we don't want to see what happened to Gopher hockey.
          So how does that work? If the wild said **** off, how are we going to get Motzko on?

I’m not trying to be flippant here. I’m glad we’re trying to work it harder. Honestly I think the propaganda machine needs to work harder on things like Little Chippers, as one example. Start these kids super young and get them out on the ice at Maroosh. Make them thinks it’s a huge deal. You never know whether the next Potulny is skating out there. But get that influence started young. And add the skate with the gophers back. That was so good for the program. Get kids to think the M is everything.
          Code:
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Yeah, no chit.
            You hardly know a day goes by in a cardboard cutout sundown...

Comment

First, I want to say that Wooger was my favorite coach, not only for the Gophers, but any team in any sport. I loved that all Minnesota thing. He had a phenomenal record and as we all know, a great personality. Brooks obviously was a phenomenal coach, and had many traits to admire, but didn't have the personality of Wooger. (I don't go any further back than that.) And as many others have stated, he was also my favorite sports broadcaster. Not just the Woogisms, but how much he showed his love for the game, and specifically, for MN hockey. I always had trouble with the people (fans of other teams) who complained about his 'homerism'. It was a Gopher broadcast. He SHOULD be cheering for the team for which he is calling the game, just like every home team announcer does in every other sport. But he also called it as he saw it. Pointed out bad calls against the other team and missed calls against the Gophers as much as he did the opposite. And he shared a lot of his knowledge with us viewers. And obviously, with all we have heard from others in recent times, he shared that knowledge with any coaches or random fans who were lucky enough to run into him. Reading posts on here and GPL, and reading and listening to people who knew him personally talk about him, showed how many of us he affected with his great and infectious attitude. He'll be missed.

Comment

Off topic question for you;

Have the Wild worn North Stars uni's as throw backs?

Or legally does Dallas own the entire Stars copyrights?
                "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Those went with Dallas.
                  Code:

Comment

• Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post

The old guy team was allowed to wear them during the stadium series events a few years back against the Blackhawk old guy team. That's about it. The Wild aren't allowed.
                    the state of hockey is good

Comment

Why has Gopher hockey been so bad since 14-15? Well since then here are the highest career totals for almost all of the top MN defensemen. This was depressing but it's been clear to me the lack of anything from the back has been a killer for Gopher hockey when you watch them play and watch other games.

Gross - 121 - ND
                      Schuldt - 118 - SCSU
                      Beaulieu - 111 - NMU
                      Prow - 99 - SCSU
                      Ahcan - 93 - SCSU
                      Perunovich - 88 - UMD
                      Scheid - 85 - MNSU
                      Welinski - 77 - UMD
                      T. Poolman - 72 - UND
                      C. Poolman - 68 - UND
                      Bischoff - 68 - Gophers
                      Snuggerud - 65 - UNO
                      Raskob - 59 - UMD
                      Pionk - 51 - UMD
                      Donohue - 50 - MTU
                      M. Anderson - 50 - UMD
                      Last edited by Bonin21; 01-02-2020, 08:49 PM.

Comment

I’d be curious what the annual totals are, not career totals.
                        Code:

Comment

It's not going to look any better in fact it will look even worse because the guys with multiple good seasons will be listed multiple times and Bischoff only broke 20 once.

Shocker, the one year he did was the one acceptable year for Gopher hockey since 14-15. You need guys with some skill back there. Lacombe should hit 50 points, but I don't see any of these other guys doing it. Johnson could be gone after next year so he probably won't hit 50. Tons of pressure on Koster. Boltmann isn't even putting up point per game in HS and Ratzlaff has slowed down too.
                          Last edited by Bonin21; 01-02-2020, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                            First, I want to say that Wooger was my favorite coach, not only for the Gophers, but any team in any sport. I loved that all Minnesota thing. He had a phenomenal record and as we all know, a great personality. Brooks obviously was a phenomenal coach, and had many traits to admire, but didn't have the personality of Wooger. (I don't go any further back than that.) And as many others have stated, he was also my favorite sports broadcaster. Not just the Woogisms, but how much he showed his love for the game, and specifically, for MN hockey. I always had trouble with the people (fans of other teams) who complained about his 'homerism'. It was a Gopher broadcast. He SHOULD be cheering for the team for which he is calling the game, just like every home team announcer does in every other sport. But he also called it as he saw it. Pointed out bad calls against the other team and missed calls against the Gophers as much as he did the opposite. And he shared a lot of his knowledge with us viewers. And obviously, with all we have heard from others in recent times, he shared that knowledge with any coaches or random fans who were lucky enough to run into him. Reading posts on here and GPL, and reading and listening to people who knew him personally talk about him, showed how many of us he affected with his great and infectious attitude. He'll be missed.
                            You hardly know a day goes by in a cardboard cutout sundown...

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post

No.

NHL owns the North Stars TM.

Comment

Gophers head to Michigan State with something new: momentum

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-m...ate/566850762/

(None of this "hoping for at least a split" crap, I say "nothing less than a sweep will do!")
                                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X