Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2019-2020: Motzko 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by UMD21 View Post
    Did they really wear them again this weekend? That’s legitimately the best story I’ve heard this whole season
    Yes. They wore them on Saturday and Sunday. All future games they'll be the road team, so i think that streak is over. I suppose because they are gold, they could try to pull a Sweden and say they are home and road, but I doubt they can seeming the IIHF doesn't allow it anymore either.
    the state of hockey is good

Comment

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2019-2020: Motzko 2.0

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
      Despite the sparse crowd the atmosphere was pretty good. Hats of to the band, they were fantastic and it seemed they were able to play a lot more than they do in regular season games.
      Kudos for the band support.
      You hardly know a day goes by in a cardboard cutout sundown...

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
        Yes. They wore them on Saturday and Sunday. All future games they'll be the road team, so i think that streak is over. I suppose because they are gold, they could try to pull a Sweden and say they are home and road, but I doubt they can seeming the IIHF doesn't allow it anymore either.
        I just read on GPL that they will be allowed to wear the gold Woogers this weekend.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Read the comments to get the public's opinion of Gopher hockey, which is what matters more than those with a vested interest in the program.
          http://www.startribune.com/dismal-ma...ers/568627342/
          Depressing. The creation of PSU hockey has the program bleeding badly. The least we could do is beat them once in a big game next week as payback...

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
            Read the comments to get the public's opinion of Gopher hockey, which is what matters more than those with a vested interest in the program.
            http://www.startribune.com/dismal-ma...ers/568627342/
            Depressing. The creation of PSU hockey has the program bleeding badly. The least we could do is beat them once in a big game next week as payback...
            Thanks for the link. Interesting article, and one with which I agree completely.

Conference re-alignment has severely eroded my general interest in a wide variety of college sports. I miss the traditional rivalries and have no motivation to watch my teams' new conference members play OOC foes, as I once did frequently.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
              Thanks for the link. Interesting article, and one with which I agree completely.

Conference re-alignment has severely eroded my general interest in a wide variety of college sports. I miss the traditional rivalries and have no motivation to watch my teams' new conference members play OOC foes, as I once did frequently.
              People just say "accept it and move on, or see you later." First of all many people said see you later and look how easily they are being replaced... And second of all I am thankful I don't work for a company led by anyone with that attitude.

The conference leaders need to innovate. Cross conference scheduling or more affiliate members. If not, those 100 people saying get over it will be the only ones in Mariucci and they can all high five each other and sit wherever they want.

Comment

Yeah the comments section from the Strib is as worthless as Twitter and FB. The worst of the worst post. Also UW, UMi and MSU are traditional UM rivals, while the Gophers had and will again have next year a pretty **** NC schedule. And I don't miss playing the Alaskas and a few others.

If you've lost interest as in you don't even care and can't even be bothered to follow the team/watch games on TV then you weren't a real fan anyway.

Comment

When basically all the comments anywhere say the same thing, they reflect the overall public sentiment. The number of fans out there that like the Big Ten is probably hugely over-represented on these shrinking message boards. The numbers overall are just tiny, and getting new customers isn't going well because now the Wild are in town and many people graduating these days just don't care about sports.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                    1. On Friday night just before the start of the 3rd I moved to a different section, hoping it might bring some luck. Didn't work!
                    2. On Saturday night I decided to not go to the game (still ) and lo and behold THEY WON!
                    3. So tonight I'm again going with Strategy 2 - will again stay home - hoping that this strategy (which I'll call "Bringing the Bad Luck to the Irish") repeats itself.
                    Sorry. You can't claim credit for wins. It was the Wooger.

Comment

Any word on Perbix?

And did any of you take pleasure is seeing Jackson and ND complaining about calls? I didn't think refs went one way or the other with bad calls, but good to see their season ended and to have them perceive it as refs fault. Doesn't make up for last year, when we had a team that was playing at the end of the year like one that had a chance of making it to NCAA and maybe win a couple, but there was some justice at least.

Comment

• Originally posted by Koho View Post
                        Any word on Perbix?

And did any of you take pleasure is seeing Jackson and ND complaining about calls? I didn't think refs went one way or the other with bad calls, but good to see their season ended and to have them perceive it as refs fault. Doesn't make up for last year, when we had a team that was playing at the end of the year like one that had a chance of making it to NCAA and maybe win a couple, but there was some justice at least.
                        I certainly didn't have any pity for them, but felt like Gophers got a little lucky in having a minor on Sat and on Sun that both were reviewed and probably should have been majors. Especially considering the non-call that was reviewed and assessed a major against ND.
                        That one was especially bad for them because if it had been called right when it happened, they wouldnt have picked up the 2nd hooking call that put them down 5-on-3 for a full 2 minutes

Comment

• As far as Perbix, I haven't seen anything other than the vague "lower body injury," but it looked like a knee to me and my guess would be he's out for the rest of the season. Hopefully its just a meniscal and not ligament injury

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                            The number of fans out there that like the Big Ten is probably hugely over-represented on these shrinking message boards.
                            Agreed. Unfortunately, you can't upload photos from your hard drive to the forum, but I am reminded of a photo a friend snapped from the poor crowd of the B1G Championship game they lost to Michigan a few years back--four guys in gold Gophers sweaters, all with the #10 and "B1G MISTAKE" as the nameplate. Seemed like a fair representation of public sentiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
                              Sorry. You can't claim credit for wins. It was the Wooger.
                              I will definitely take a bow to the Wooger.
                              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                                Yeah the comments section from the Strib is as worthless as Twitter and FB. The worst of the worst post. Also UW, UMi and MSU are traditional UM rivals, while the Gophers had and will again have next year a pretty **** NC schedule. And I don't miss playing the Alaskas and a few others.

If you've lost interest as in you don't even care and can't even be bothered to follow the team/watch games on TV then you weren't a real fan anyway.
                                I respect everyone's viewpoint but respectfully, when only 2,000 fans (if that) show up two consecutive years for a home playoff series, on the heels of dwindling season ticket holder numbers, I think it's fair to analyze what the mass are thinking. For sure, social media and the "comment sections" can be a cesspool of negativity, but it also can be constructive (especially when there's over 330+ comments). This platform provides a channel for sentiment analysis—gathering social sentiments and then analyzing the sentiments for themes. These are all nuggets of information that can be useful to make your business (or in this case, a hockey program) more successful and perceptive of the barriers you face. Scrolling through a lot of those comments, I saw some common themes that I think would be valuable to analyze, especially if I was in a role at the U's Athletic Department. To each their own on that I guess.

I also think the vilifying of who's a good fan / bad fan is a tricky route to take. A lot of people were genuinely upset about the conference transition and how the administration has handled it, and I think this shows in a number of ways publicly. We penalize some fans and say "you didn't care to begin with"...or maybe they cared so much they felt patronized and decided to invest their time and money elsewhere? Is that plausible? That entitled way of thinking will continue to drive fans away IMO - and that by saying this it seems we're above listening to some of the outcry (and that many view these outcries as the same old recycled complaints). I do totally get it by saying that, but it's my two cents.

Again, I truly respect every individual's perspective (especially different generational perspectives), but I think analyzing constructive feedback should be encouraged and not dismissed like their opinion's aren't worthy because they didn't support a conference transition. In the end, I know it strikes the cord of a lot of emotion and it's divisive, and I wish it wasn't that way. It isn't just on here, it's just an observation of other outlets too that cover Gopher Hockey that want to cast shade immediately on fans/articles that want to voice their opinion.

Comment

Working...
                                X