Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2019-2020: Motzko 2.0

Originally posted by D2D View Post
    No need to apologize because what he made up is ridiculous.
    I am a 50 year old man who doesn't make **** up who is well connected with various people. This was a statement made by a person who works in the athletic deparment. It's why I said rumor has it.
    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
      I am a 50 year old man who doesn't make **** up who is well connected with various people. This was a statement made by a person who works in the athletic deparment. It's why I said rumor has it.
      Can you be more specific as to what your friend(s) in the athletic department told you? You said "shrink the arena". Does that mean the entire building's footprint? Or leave the structure itself unchanged but reduce the number of seats?

And are you sure your friend(s) were not simply referring to shrinking the ice surface, which has been in the works for years but with no definite timetable?
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post
        Shrinking the ice seems like a fairly low cost endeavor (at least compared to expanding the sheet). I am not up-to-date on the issue, so forgive the newbie questions:

What are the construction needs for a shrinking project? new re-sized boards and floor coverings for now-exposed portions of the ice bearing surface? Or does the floor of the arena need to be replaced?

I assume that this would be done for competitive purposes, but would it make that much of a difference?
        Shrinking the ice would not be a low-cost endeavor. Probably in the millions.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
          Shrinking the ice would not be a low-cost endeavor. Probably in the millions.
          Why would it cost so much? What are the components of the project? Honest question: I just don't know what would be involved in such a project

Comment

All indications are they are going to shrink the ice in the next few years despite the cost.

Comment

Can you be more specific as to what your friend(s) in the athletic department told you? You said "shrink the arena". Does that mean the entire building's footprint? Or leave the structure itself unchanged but reduce the number of seats?

And are you sure your friend(s) were not simply referring to shrinking the ice surface, which has been in the works for years but with no definite timetable?
              I just don't get what the point would be of reducing the number of seats; I think the resources could be better applied to more effective strategies and better uses (lowering ticket prices). I am also unclear on what the pros and cons are of moving away from the international-sized sheet.

Comment

Why would it cost so much? What are the components of the project? Honest question: I just don't know what would be involved in such a project
                Unless you want to watch from 10 feet away instead of on the glass... You'd need to jackhammer up all of the concrete, remove the existing cooling system, upgrade it to code if there are any deficiencies, add additional seats or somehow move existing seats, add a new cooling system, pour new concrete. Likely purchase new boards. The concrete work along is going to cost half a million. At least. The cooling system install would be another 250k to 500k. The seats another 100-200k.

They're going to do it, but it's gonig to be expensive.
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                  Unless you want to watch from 10 feet away instead of on the glass... You'd need to jackhammer up all of the concrete, remove the existing cooling system, upgrade it to code if there are any deficiencies, add additional seats or somehow move existing seats, add a new cooling system, pour new concrete. Likely purchase new boards. The concrete work along is going to cost half a million. At least. The cooling system install would be another 250k to 500k. The seats another 100-200k.

They're going to do it, but it's gonig to be expensive.
                  Thanks for taking the time to sketch it out. That makes sense to a degree (Except for worrying about seats on the glass--just because I think seats along the glass are the worst in the house, and plenty of arenas have awkward seating down low, but to each his own). Reading up on it, it looks like the NHL sheet is actually longer than the international dimensions, despite being much narrower --I can see why significant construction would be needed to meet NHL length if the arena wasn't already built to have a flexible surface.

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to sketch it out. That makes sense to a degree (Except for worrying about seats on the glass--just because I think seats along the glass are the worst in the house, and plenty of arenas have awkward seating down low, but to each his own). Reading up on it, it looks like the NHL sheet is actually longer than the international dimensions, despite being much narrower --I can see why significant construction would be needed to meet NHL length if the arena wasn't already built to have a flexible surface.
                    From my understanding the planning was never to alter the sheet enough to match 100% an NHL sized sheet, but instead to shrink closer than what the current dimensions are.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                      From my understanding the planning was never to alter the sheet enough to match 100% an NHL sized sheet, but instead to shrink closer than what the current dimensions are.
                      I believe they've settled on a 92.5 foot width, halfway between current (100') and NHL (85'). But to the best of my knowledge there is no definite timetable as to when.
                      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I was told the school was going to shrink the rink and discontinue 1,500 hundred seats. I told them this was a bad idea but this person said, the Wild have hurt their ticket sales.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                          Correct, I do remember this person saying this to me.

Comment

Another reason why Minnesota wants to shrink the capacity they would like to add more suites to the arena.

Comment

Seamus Donohue transfering and eligible immediately. Gophers could use him, and maybe give Faber or Koster another year.

My prediction is he'll go to UMD with Perunovich, Wolff, and probably Samberg gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                                Seamus Donohue transfering and eligible immediately. Gophers could use him, and maybe give Faber or Koster another year.

My prediction is he'll go to UMD with Perunovich, Wolff, and probably Samberg gone.
                                Recognize the name, but no recall about him. Can you tell us a little about him? I've got time.

Comment

Working...
                                X