Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2019-2020 Season Thread

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
    I assume starting Campbell was/is a 'respect your opponent' thing; start the starter until the game is well in-hand, and then give the local kid (Kronish is from NY) some ice time in front of family, etc.
    Did the same go for the other players? The line chart looked pretty much like a normal game, and I saw the usual players were the ones bombarding the scoresheet early. I just had the live stats up at work and wasn't watching - did they start to give heavier minutes to the depth players (and/or try different combinations) as the game went on? Without actually having watched, it seems like the sort of game where Wisconsin would put its best foot forward, respect the new program by being that #1 team they scheduled (and not making assumptions about a miracle upset being impossible), and then try other things once the game was put away.

(I also recall a game many years ago - though I'm hesitant to ID the game or the goalie too specifically - when MJ gave the start to a backup goalie; senior, final home game, only start of her career, regular season standings already decided, etc. She gave up a goal on the first shot she faced, was replaced by the regular goalie, but the 'hole' the first gaol put them in ended up leading them to lose a game they likely wouldn't otherwise have lost. Maybe that was 'lessen learned' for MJ.)
    I believe you're thinking of this game in 2011-12, in which Nikki Kaasa started against OSU.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post

I believe you're thinking of this game in 2011-12, in which Nikki Kaasa started against OSU.
      LOL.

It wasn't a quiz or a puzzle to be solved. I still feel bad for Nikki and that day.

Comment

Originally posted by Sieve1 View Post
        Unfortunately for Kronish, giving up 2 to LIU isn’t a good way to begin a college career. Any idea why MJ gave Campbell the start (for stats?) instead of letting Kronish (or someone else) have the confidence of starting a game- rather than sitting on the bench for a period and then relieving the starter? Will be interesting to see the goalie strategy for game 2. Speaking of goalies...any ideas who’s coming in next year? Graduating 2 senior goalies at the end of the year, and no indication of any goalie commits coming in the next 2 years....🤔
        Kronish is the 4th best goalie, so I'm not shocked she gave up a couple (especially giving one up on a breakaway). She's from out east, as is DeVito, so MJ was probably just getting them some ice time in front on loved ones.

I liked that all 4 goalies got some playing time over the weekend.

The next 2 years it is the Blesi/Kronish show. I trust that those 2 can handle load, though MJ will probably bring someone in, only having 2 goalies on the roster is a little scary. The next incoming goalie that I know of is Ava McNaughton in 2023.

All the skaters have scored goals now but Drake, Grant and Buchbinder. MEGA scoring depth! LOL.
        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

with 83 people in the stands I would have hoped each one of them would get their own personal shot as a memento
          your team fell 3 short, very disappointing to the 3 fans who had to go home empty handed

Comment

Maybe three of the fans were LIU fans? It seems fair that they get two shots apiece, given that they were lower-value shots.
            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
              All the skaters have scored goals now but Drake, Grant and Buchbinder. MEGA scoring depth! LOL.
              Just a little more MEGA would have propelled them to outscore your football team at Illinois!

Men's football 23, Women's hockey 22

Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                Just a little more MEGA would have propelled them to outscore your football team at Illinois!

Men's football 23, Women's hockey 22

I had the same thought.

Comment

Rumor has it there will be a Tailgate in Lot 91 at 11:30 Saturday featuring Burgers, Dogs, Brats, & snacks! BYOD, & of course... plenty of Thinner!
                  Last edited by GopherBadger; 10-22-2019, 12:03 PM.

Comment

It's going to be a tough series this weekend. The Beavs are never an easy out. Last weekend was pretty much just 2 practices. I wonder behind the walls of Labahn if MJ thinks last weekend was all that productive to the team's development. Can you even build any confidence at all knowing your opponent was over-matched from the start to that degree? It may have been a frustrating situation for the players who didn't impact the scoresheet.

Comment

Last weekend was pretty much just 2 practices.
                      I've got to believe that your practices are more competitive than that.
                      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Thought our Wisconsin friends would enjoy this "blast from the past".

OLD-TIME HOCKEY
                        Ex-Badger Johnson led Team USA over Gophers

The Minneapolis Star from Oct. 24, 1979.

Oct. 23, 1979: Behind three goals and an assist from Mark Johnson, the 1980 U.S. Olympic hockey team defeated the Gophers 8-2 at the St. Paul Civic Center as part of its preparation for the Lake Placid Games. Johnson, a former Wisconsin standout who now coaches the Badgers women’s team, enjoyed beating his former collegiate rival even with several former Gophers as his Olympic teammates. “My blood’s in Madison. I’m a Badger all the way,’’ the Richfield-born Johnson told the Associated Press after the game. “But I hold no grudges against these guys. This is a team game, and after it’s over, we’re all just guys.’’
                        Team USA coach Herb Brooks sang Johnson’s praises after the game. “We used to despise him because he killed us all those years, but he’s a helluva kid’’ said Brooks, the former Gophers coach. “I appreciate him for his comradeship, especially after playing against most of these guys. He’s got his head screwed on right.’’
                        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                          I've got to believe that your practices are more competitive than that.
                          I was trying to be nice. Ok, so it was a nice weekend get-a-way financed by the generous taxpayers of WI.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                            Thought our Wisconsin friends would enjoy this "blast from the past".

OLD-TIME HOCKEY
                            Ex-Badger Johnson led Team USA over Gophers

The Minneapolis Star from Oct. 24, 1979.

Oct. 23, 1979: Behind three goals and an assist from Mark Johnson, the 1980 U.S. Olympic hockey team defeated the Gophers 8-2 at the St. Paul Civic Center as part of its preparation for the Lake Placid Games. Johnson, a former Wisconsin standout who now coaches the Badgers women’s team, enjoyed beating his former collegiate rival even with several former Gophers as his Olympic teammates. “My blood’s in Madison. I’m a Badger all the way,’’ the Richfield-born Johnson told the Associated Press after the game. “But I hold no grudges against these guys. This is a team game, and after it’s over, we’re all just guys.’’
                            Team USA coach Herb Brooks sang Johnson’s praises after the game. “We used to despise him because he killed us all those years, but he’s a helluva kid’’ said Brooks, the former Gophers coach. “I appreciate him for his comradeship, especially after playing against most of these guys. He’s got his head screwed on right.’’
                            “We used to despise him because he killed us all those years, but he’s a helluva kid’’ said Brooks, the former Gophers coach......Can you imagine someone saying that is this day and age? No way. That was awesome. Thanks for posting.

Comment

I was only able to attend Saturday, Sunday I had a commitment @ Church. Saturday was the worst game of the year for them. A very uneven, disjointed affair. They did not play with a lot of poise with the puck at times and misconducted on many attempted passes. Apparently Sunday they righted the ship from listening to the comments of Roque. I think the LUI series was so easy that it took momentum and focus away from the team. Luckily that is behind them, the rodents are on the menu next. Must be all systems go for that series.

Comment

Luckily that is behind them, the rodents are on the menu next. Must be all systems go for that series.
                                They could put a cardboard cut-out in net and still win the games this coming weekend. Minnesota is just another cupcake on the schedule and the Gophers will be lucky to get within a couple of goals in one game and then in the other, Watts is going to light them up. It might be running time bad.
                                At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Working...
                                X