Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2019-2020 Season Thread

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
    The two explanations are not mutually exclusive. It is perfectly possible that Wisconsin was affected by soft ice on both nights, but that the difference between games is where the shots were going in.
    Nicole and Arlen are saying Wisconsin 'failed to adjust'; either that 'failure to adjust' nevertheless resulted in a 5-1 win on Friday, or they adjusted on Friday but then failed to adjust on Saturday, even though that failure did not result in fewer shots on goal, etc.

I'm having trouble seeing the logic of that argument, or evidence to support it.

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
      Nicole and Arlan are saying Wisconsin 'failed to adjust'; either that 'failure to adjust' nevertheless resulted in a 5-1 win on Friday, or they adjusted on Friday but then failed to adjust on Saturday, even though that failure did not result in fewer shots on goal, etc.

I'm having trouble seeing the logic of that argument, or evidence to support it.
      To clarify, I'm not saying the ice was or wasn't slow. The only part of the games I watched was the 3rd period in UW's loss. I'm offering my opinion on how I read what Nicole posted. I didn't see her post as blaming a loss on slow ice.

My personal opinion, based on nothing other than watching a lot of WCHA games, is that the game is much tougher in this league when a team is behind. Minnesota dominated UMD one day, and then fell behind immediately the second day and lost. If the Badgers had not fallen behind in the first five minutes on Saturday, we likely would have seen a different script play out, no matter what the condition of the ice nor how hard the opponent was working.
      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
        If the Badgers had not fallen behind in the first five minutes on Saturday, we likely would have seen a different script play out, no matter what the condition of the ice nor how hard the opponent was working.
        That I will buy into. They do not play well from behind (but then again, they don't get much practice at it. :-) )

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
          If the Badgers had not fallen behind in the first five minutes on Saturday, we likely would have seen a different script play out, no matter what the condition of the ice nor how hard the opponent was working.
          If Watts buries that open net look early in the 2nd and the score is 2-1, UW has momentum, MSU had doubt and UW wins.
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
            If Watts buries that open net look early in the 2nd and the score is 2-1, UW has momentum, MSU had doubt and UW wins.
            When Minnesota State was whistled for their second penalty giving the Badgers a 5 on 3 for over a minute I certainly had doubts! And those doubts grew when Shirley scored on an easy tap-in and there was still over 4 minutes to go. I remember thinking at that point that even with a two goal deficit, they still had a 50-50 chance to close the gap and win the game. The Mavs got some bounces, but they also made some critical blocks and clears, and did what was necessary to pull the upset.

With the possible exception of St. Cloud, which continues to really struggle, no longer can the "Big Two" take the night off against any other team in the conference and expect to win.
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I'm not wading into the rest of it - most of ya'll got what I was trying to say.

Literally no one made any excuses or gave any explanations for the loss in Bemidji because it was perfectly clear what happened if you watched the game. The Bemidji loss was the Beavers playing perfect, shut down offense. The Badgers had 40 shots on goal AND Bemidji had 23 blocks. We've seen it over and over from Scanlan's Beavers, especially later in the season when the team is playing at its most cohesive. It could be a verb at this point, IMO. The Badgers got Bemidji'd.
              It's a great day for hockey!

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                With the possible exception of St. Cloud, which continues to really struggle, no longer can the "Big Two" take the night off against any other team in the conference and expect to win.
                Yes, the gap between the Big Two and most of the league is closing.

Comment

Just listened to the MJ presser, Soup may not play this weekend as of the presser date. He said if she was a skater that she probably could go....hmmm....
                  Last edited by Timothy A; 02-14-2020, 07:45 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by NMH View Post
                    The Badgers got Bemidji'd.
                    Good one!

Comment

Senior day is upon us.

Rowe has really been a team player for the team. When the big guns were at the Olympics and MJ was trying to find scoring, she played F on the line with Roque, otherwise she has played D. Usually she was the 3rd pair or even didn't dress early on, and her skating isn't the most beautiful thing, but you have to admire her desire to do whatever it takes to help the team.

Mauermann has been so much fun to watch. Her heart is bigger than anyone's yet she is the smallest player. Clearly a fan favorite, she'll charge into any situation along the boards and out-hustle and work any player out there. I'm not sure there's another player on the team as fearless as her. She has a heck of a sniper shot too. She is so much fun to watch.

Norby maybe never lived up to her billing as Ms MN hockey (or maybe my expectations were too high), but she has been a dependable solid F all four years, scoring 20+ points all 4 years. She's just the kind of player you need on your team if you want to succeed, in fact you probably want 4 or 5 of her on your team.

When Roque came in, I didn't know what to expect since she played against boys in HS. It became apparent she was very talented and maybe a little too strong on her skates as other plays seem to fall down when they bumped into her. She improved all 4 years and what a top line player she has become. I'm not I've seen as creative a player as she is with the puck on her stick to set up goals. The 360 spins and eyes behind her head passes.....wow.

Steffen is the latest in a long string of D who arrive at UW as and freshmen fit right into the starting lineup and play like a seasoned vet from day 1. You just don't see her make any mistakes out there, no risky passes, no holding the puck too long, just an awesome D who also qb's the PP. I think we will end up missing her like we miss Rolfes and Gardner. That is a heck of a compliment.

Soup was a shocker pick-up. It looked like Cece was the heir apparent to ARD, she some in and grabs the job from day 1 and never lets it go. To backstop a Natty team is something that is truly an accomplishment, its SO hard to be the last team who doesn't lose.

Cece was the ARD heir apparent. She played well in 5 games he Fr year when ARD was injured and I was very confident she would be able to do the job as I am in any UW goalie who MJ recruits. UW is truly goalie U. What can be said other than Soup took the job and had the success to back it up. When Soup played those first games for UW the thought never crossed my mind that Cece needed to play because Soup did such a great job. There's no second guessing MJ on who plays in goal.

All these players contributed in different ways their 4 years and to bring that Natty home last year after a lot of heartbreak the years before will always bring a smile to my face. Let's finish the year out strong and be the last team not to lose again.

It's a great day for hockey.

Comment

Great write up Tim. Enjoyed the read.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                          Great write up Tim. Enjoyed the read.
                          Thank you. Sadly Cece was not part of Sr day due to the suspension (which I was hoping would be lifted somehow so she could be honored today), but I am a bit obsessed with goalies/goalie play, so since I thought about her a lot the 3.5 yrs I thought she was due some ink.

The game....I was in a way relieved to see Soup lead the team out, though the thought crossed my mind that she was still injured and would start then get yanked at the first whistle, but she played the whole game. Part of me wanted to see how Blesi would have bounced back after last week. Anyway, Roque get a 5 minute at the end of the first period for boarding. From my angle, it was a 2 at best and not a 5. (MJ was HOT and chewing out Bradshaw at the end of the period, and usually he keeps his cool so the call must have been bogus. After MJ went down the tunnel Koch was still at it with Bradshaw). So OSU pops 3 at the start of the 2nd to get out to the 3-0 lead. Goal 1 just got under the pad on the off angle on a rebound, just one of those deals. That group of PK'ers never got the puck out of the zone and they paid for it. Goals 2 and 3 may be flipped in my mind they happened so close together. 1 goal was a shot from straight out a ways out that got by Soup. I don't think she was screened, that one I would call soft. The other goal was also a longer shot from the boards area that may be been screened, there was a Badger crossing the slot covering an OSU player that may have blinded her, but my gut reaction was that was soft too from that distance. Soup may have had some rust that got the better of her. Then late in the 3rd UW gets a 5 min pp and doesn't score (even when pulling the goalie for a 6 on 4), so it was essentially even from the pp standpoint. I think on that pp they were too patient and passy. They should have done the old pass pass shoot, just pepper the goal with volume to get a screen or a rebound power play. OSU did get a number of clears as well, all the more reason to fire more shots.

I think the 2 best chances for UW were by Mauermann, one while killing the 5 minute one, she got the puck in a golden spot, had all day to pick where to shoot and it got stopped, but the save was not in sniper spot. She had another chance in the 3rd that didn't go in either. Curl did get stopped on a breakaway, so that is great chance #3, which I had forgot about. UW had the chances, they just didn't convert. UW had their usual time of possession domination and really didn't allow any great chances 5 on 5.

The parents of the OSU trainer sat next to us, really nice people and a great sense of humor. The Dad practically apologized for his son working for OSU, pretty funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                            Anyway, Roque get a 5 minute at the end of the first period for boarding. From my angle, it was a 2 at best and not a 5. (MJ was HOT and chewing out Bradshaw at the end of the period, and usually he keeps his cool so the call must have been bogus. After MJ went down the tunnel Koch was still at it with Bradshaw).
                            From his angle on the bench, Johnson really had no idea whether it was a good call; he can't possibly see well down into that corner. If he had a beef, it's that interference wasn't called against OSU a moment before, though: 1) they weren't calling that all game long, and 2) if any team in the conference would be hurt by calling tighter interference, it would be Wisconsin.

As for Roque's penalty, I was sitting behind the net at that end and had a good angle. It deserved five minutes. It wasn't a hard check, but it was really dangerous. What happened is that she ran into Rosenthal along the boards, knocking her off balance. I had no problem with not calling that initial contact, but as Rosenthal was trying to recover and play the puck, she was bent over, with the top of her head about a foot from the boards. Roque then hit her again, not hard, but it shoved Rosenthal's head straight into the boards. Roque was fortunate not to get a game misconduct along with her five minutes.

Comment

As I said in the scores thread, Wisconsin's big problem was that they didn't show any urgency to score. Other than a flurry late in the second period, they let the Buckeyes control the area in front of the OSU net. Brändli had to make about three really good saves, but other than that, all of the Badgers' puck possession didn't get them many good scoring chances. And their play when they got their own major power play with four minutes left in the game was not impressive. By that stage of the game, they just didn't compete very well.

Wisconsin just isn't the same team when they have to play from behind. In the last two games, they've scored two power play goals, both when they were already down 3-0, on a total of 73 shots. Right now, they are utterly dependent upon scoring first. They need to figure out how to fight back.

Comment

I hate that tomorrow's game is at the Kohl Center; it negates home ice advantage with the ice sheet being bigger. It's practically a must win for UW because next week UW goes to UMD and UM gets Kato at home. This is exactly the worse case scenario I laid out when the season schedule came out and fill the bowl was late in the year against a quality opponent. It sucks that the sweep of UM has been pea'd away. This late season swoon is just a mess. By not just winning, they are getting sucked into the pairwise vortex of angst.

MJ almost must put the superline back together. Look at the results.

Comment

Working...
                                X