Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2019-2020 Season Thread

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    Minnesota will be lucky to hold Wisconsin to under double digit goals in both games
    With the strainers your team sticks in front of the net, I wholeheartedly agree.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Hockey, it's a great for it, let's go see some.

I think both sides are nervous about this weekend's games. UW coming off a loss where they didn't play a full 60 minutes, UM coming off perhaps a similar weekend, though they come in with W in game 2 of the OSU series. I'm very interested to see how UW and UM stack up with my own eyes and with watching a lot of the UW/NE game recently, to establish a bit of a pecking order between UW, UM and NE with recent results. If I'm able to, I want to zero in on the play of the D who are perhaps not as nearly perfect as they have been with other recent players leading the fight back there. It's hard to do that in person with all the distractions and excitement of being there live.

LET'S GO RED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Wisconsin can't be too happy (Obviously happy winning in OT) giving up a 4-1 lead in the 3rd period...

(I literally have to login multiple times and try posting multiple times to get anything to work...Site is fubared)
        Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 01-24-2020, 09:46 PM.
        At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
          Wisconsin can't be too happy (Obviously happy winning in OT) giving up a 4-1 lead in the 3rd period...

(I literally have to login multiple times and try posting multiple times to get anything to work...Site is fubared)
          I'm not sure what was more shocking, UM only getting 4 sog in the first or UW's epic meltdown in the 3rd. I've never had a win feel so much like a loss. The UW D need to grow a backbone and at some point stop backing up and engage the puck possessor vs letting them get a point blank shot off. It's hard to fault Soup but a BIG save would have come in handy on one of the chances. I am shocked UW won. UM had all the juice going their own way, I was convinced they'd close it out.

I liked UW's plan of pinching hard, dumping in and using the D on the rush in the first 2 periods. It worked really great. UM D struggled handing the puck along the backline. UM's top line was a handful. I really thought after UM didn't score on the PP that UW was out of the woods. Wrong.

The MOST shocking was breaking up the superline! Roque centered Mauermann and Curl, and Pettet centered Watts and Shirley. I think the lines looked good. Mauermann was a beast.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
            I'm not sure what was more shocking, UM only getting 4 sog in the first or UW's epic meltdown in the 3rd. I've never had a win feel so much like a loss. The UW D need to grow a backbone and at some point stop backing up and engage the puck possessor vs letting them get a point blank shot off. It's hard to fault Soup but a BIG save would have come in handy on one of the chances. I am shocked UW won. UM had all the juice going their own way, I was convinced they'd close it out.

I liked UW's plan of pinching hard, dumping in and using the D on the rush in the first 2 periods. It worked really great. UM D struggled handing the puck along the backline. UM's top line was a handful. I really thought after UM didn't score on the PP that UW was out of the woods. Wrong.

The MOST shocking was breaking up the superline! Roque centered Mauermann and Curl, and Pettet centered Watts and Shirley. I think the lines looked good. Mauermann was a beast.
            Did you notice which defender got pulled after the Goph's scored their fourth goal. She let herself get out of position again and left the back side of the net wide open for the score. There were more than a few around me that also noticed this.

Comment

Originally posted by Connaught Point View Post
              Did you notice which defender got pulled after the Goph's scored their fourth goal. She let herself get out of position again and left the back side of the net wide open for the score. There were more than a few around me that also noticed this.
              Lord, I hate posts like this. You have something to say, then say it!

"Got pulled" was all of six minutes of ice time. And whoever you are referring to, she played a full game's worth today.

Comment

Time for your weekly "Hanzlik got another goal this weekend" post. Five now in seven games.

Comment

Well, that was a great bounce back game for UW. UW had the edge in play in the first period, UW owned the 2nd period territorially but did not get a lot of great chances. Going into the 3rd period I was dreading another UM comeback, and for the first 3-4 minutes it looked likely, then UW got back on track through the middle 10 minutes then basically played keep away the last 5 or so and it was a thing of beauty. A very complete game against the toughest opponent in the land. Overall my confidence in UW has been restored after getting dented by NE and then the loss to BSU. I do think UW has the ability to be a FF team and do some damage.

Great to see Soup get the S/O. Edwards was impressive, played with a lot of poise for a Fr, her and Rowe seemed to make a good pair. Rowe can be a little clanky out there, but today she played well and the D corps as a whole played well.

I like the new lines. It was smart to keep SS and Watts together. SS is a very creative W, so Watts doesn't miss Roque as much as one might think. Pettet looked good with those 2. Mauermann didn't seem to get a lot of shots playing with Roque, but she can stir the pot like no other. There's a reason she is a crowd favorite. Curl and Roque played together last year, so there is chemistry there (and I think they played together for Team USA as well). 3rd line did not look out of place at all, Schneider's goal Friday was awesome, what a set of jets she has. Today Norby scored twice. If all 3 lines can produce like this, well, it's looking good for sure.

The dump and chase forecheck was unusual for UW to use like that, but the results were fantastic. They have plenty of speed to win the races to the puck, even against UM. UM did do a great job of limiting UW's shots once UW gained control. It would be interesting to see them do it next week.

Comment

I thought breaking up the superline was a great move. Possibly inevitable if they want to raise the trophy at the end of the season. I was pretty frustrated with the 3rd period on Friday. Zumwinkle is something, though. She puts so much pressure on you to be perfect. I thought on her 2nd goal there were 3 at their offensive blueline, I think including Roque, who just got caught flat-footed as Zumwinkle got the edge on them in what felt like just a few strides. It just really got away from them defensively. Good to see them get it to overtime. That was some great work by Watts and Shirley on the winner.

Comment

Originally posted by HCSmooth View Post
                      I thought breaking up the superline was a great move. Possibly inevitable if they want to raise the trophy at the end of the season. I was pretty frustrated with the 3rd period on Friday. Zumwinkle is something, though. She puts so much pressure on you to be perfect. I thought on her 2nd goal there were 3 at their offensive blueline, I think including Roque, who just got caught flat-footed as Zumwinkle got the edge on them in what felt like just a few strides. It just really got away from them defensively. Good to see them get it to overtime. That was some great work by Watts and Shirley on the winner.
                      Yeah, I recall seeing Roque back there at D and I thought, this is not ideal but is IS Roque, so......and they score a goal. So much for that thought LOL.

There was a pivotal non call against UM in the 3rd where Curl got clearly tripped cutting to the net with the puck and on the next rush the puck was in our net. I'm not sure if that was the Roque situation we are talking about or a different one, but that penalty HAD to be called, it negated a scoring chance.

Comment

Was wondering if anything has been mentioned about a new goalie recruit. My hard drive took a crap about a month ago and I lost the spread sheet to look up recruiting for the men and women, if anyone has the link, I would greatly appreciate it! Anyways the goalies name is Jane Gervais a 2020 - 2021 recruit and plays on the same team that Marianne Picard plays on. I found this on the Elite Prospect sight. I'm not registered for that site and can't pull up much information.

Comment

Was wondering if anything has been mentioned about a new goalie recruit. My hard drive took a crap about a month ago and I lost the spread sheet to look up recruiting for the men and women, if anyone has the link, I would greatly appreciate it! Anyways the goalies name is Jane Gervais a 2020 - 2021 recruit and plays on the same team that Marianne Picard plays on. I found this on the Elite Prospect sight. I'm not registered for that site and can't pull up much information.
                          https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...0oE/edit#gid=0

Comment

There are only 2 goalies 20-21 and 21-22, zero 22-23 and 1 23-24 and beyond, so it's a sure thing UW is going to be signing some goalies or maybe pick up a transfer.

There is minimal info on the young lady on the web. There is a article on the school's website that calls her a key returning contributor in 2017-2018...pretty old.

If you go to Standstead College's website and look at the stats, it does list her as committed to UW! We have a winner.
                            Last edited by Timothy A; 01-27-2020, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Thank You!

Comment

There are only 2 goalies 20-21 and 21-22, zero 22-23 and 1 23-24 and beyond, so it's a sure thing UW is going to be signing some goalies or maybe pick up a transfer.

There is minimal info on the young lady on the web. There is a article on the school's website that calls her a key returning contributor in 2017-2018...pretty old.

If you go to Standstead College's website and look at the stats, it does list her as committed to UW! We have a winner.
                                I just wish there was more information out there for women recruiting, Minnesota seems to do a decent job, but here at Wisconsin you don't hear much until they sign.

Comment

Working...
                                X