Wisconsin Badgers 2019-2020 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by thirdtime's . . . View Post
    Thx, a reminder to us production curmudgeons of the wider mission. (But just think of what vivid play-by-play streamed into local gyms could do!) MJ seems to be the first among equals in getting this kind of exposure done. And Roque’s story alone - - - "I hadn't seen a game of women's hockey until I played in one" - - - is an eye-opener about some of these players’ histories.
    Haha, as a fellow production curmudgeon, I can relate.

Yes Roque’s story was quite something, not to mention impressive she played boys hockey all the way through. Similar to a story about the MSU goalie I read last year - until she was ten or 11 years old she thought she was the only girl in the world that played hockey.

In my own case, I was a freshman in 2001, and didn’t do a recruiting trip. I don’t think I will ever forget my first captains practice. It was the first time I had ever seen or been on the ice with a group where every woman was talented, experienced, competitive etc. 98 Olympics were t really visible to me, as Canada got second, which influenced the media stories understandably. It blows my mind how much good women’s hockey my 5 year old has seen, 20 years later. Some of that is a function of where we live which further hammers home the point of how great something like the Country Classic is.

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2019-2020 Season Thread

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
      In my own case, I was a freshman in 2001, and didn’t do a recruiting trip. I don’t think I will ever forget my first captains practice. It was the first time I had ever seen or been on the ice with a group where every woman was talented, experienced, competitive etc. 98 Olympics were t really visible to me, as Canada got second, which influenced the media stories understandably. It blows my mind how much good women’s hockey my 5 year old has seen, 20 years later. Some of that is a function of where we live which further hammers home the point of how great something like the Country Classic is.
      Good point about location. I remember former UM coach Laura Halldorson, who was a teammate of Patty Kazmaier at Princeton, saying that she played on all-girls teams throughout her youth-hockey experience, in spite of girls hockey not really being much in evidence in Minnesota until the 1990s. The majority of the UM players that she coached had played on boys and/or mixed teams at some point.
      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
        https://www.uscho.com/2019/12/05/wom...-in-nashville/

Thought this was fantastic from Nicole Haase. Includes commentary from players of various teams, including Wisconsin, after the country classic in Nashville. She spoke to players who grew up in non traditional markets or places without much girls hockey.

As it relates to Nashville and growth of girls hockey in Tennessee, I believe Delaney Collins, a coach formerly with Hockey Canada has relocated there, as is now involved in the Junior Preds girls program. Would not be surprised at all to see girls hockey see some big percentage increases in participation down there.
        Thank you! I was excited to put it together and glad it resonated.
        It's a great day for hockey!

Comment

The hockey gals eeked out a win. The 2nd period was their worst of the season by far, they completely lost their poise with the puck, but didn't allow a goal that period. All 3 goals allowed reminded me of the men's team, poor D zone coverage, just chasing around or completely allowing an open shot. This team is not nearly as talented on the back end as MJ's teams usually are. The D need to move the puck quicker. Bowlby multiple times could have made the easy quick pass, but froze and then coughed it up. Rowe hardly played at all. Lamantia got injured multiple times and came off slowly. I'm not convinced they will get to the promised land if they don't improve their play on the backend. Credit to UMD for burying their chances.
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

I scored 2 tickets on the way out of the rink tonight for tomorrow! Thanks again to the fellow putting his tickets up on the glass for tomorrow tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
              I scored 2 tickets on the way out of the rink tonight for tomorrow! Thanks again to the fellow putting his tickets up on the glass for tomorrow tonight.
              I hurried down from volleyball and caught the last eight or nine minutes of the 3rd period (I guess they had put away the bar code scanners because the guy tore my ticket coming in, just like the old days). I guess if I was only going to see a few minutes, those last eight were pretty eventful. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                I hurried down from volleyball and caught the last eight or nine minutes of the 3rd period (I guess they had put away the bar code scanners because the guy tore my ticket coming in, just like the old days). I guess if I was only going to see a few minutes, those last eight were pretty eventful. ;-)
                The first and last periods were the eventful ones for sure. At least you were spared the 2nd period. I'd like to pretend I didn't see that one.

Comment

Interesting things that happened....

They were showing the VB game between the 2nd and 3rd period. UW had match point coming up. The VB game goes off the video board so they could play the "who is this Badger" on it. The crowd vociferously booed. They must have paused the VB game, then after the "who is this Badger", the point was played. And there was much rejoicing.

After the UW's first goal, there was this loud humming noise stuck in the sound system. It went on for many minutes. When they finally fixed it, the crowd erupted with a cheer.

In the second period Steffen came on to the ice for a change and bumped into a Badger going off. One of her gloves popped off her hand and went back into the UW bench. Steffen was down playing D in the D zone playing with the one bare hand, the play came up the ice, she was flying up the ice, someone threw her her glove while she was in full stride, she caught and put it on. Pretty cool to have seen that. Heck of a throw.

There was a collision on the ice, Crowell threw her hands up like it was a penalty. I said "no way, put your hand down", she looked at her assistant with a sheepish grin and shrugged her shoulders like "yeah, you busted me". I guess the opposing coaches can hear you when you sit right behind them.

What a LASER blocker side high shot by Mauermann. I want to say more than WOW, but the words don't do justice to that shot in a CLUTCH moment in the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                    Interesting things that happened....

They were showing the VB game between the 2nd and 3rd period. UW had match point coming up. The VB game goes off the video board so they could play the "who is this Badger" on it. The crowd vociferously booed. They must have paused the VB game, then after the "who is this Badger", the point was played. And there was much rejoicing.

After the UW's first goal, there was this loud humming noise stuck in the sound system. It went on for many minutes. When they finally fixed it, the crowd erupted with a cheer.

Hmmm... UW had two match points, and they did indeed happen in the 8:30 or so time frame. But there was no particular delay or timeout called, etc, between 'going up by one' and the next serve (I just went back and looked at the BTN video stream; not even a momentary one to wipe up sweat off the court, a common occurrence). So maybe they had the stream buffered or otherwise recorded, and went back to that after booing.

At the first Mankato game (I think) the 'goal' airhorn (valve?) got stuck; not wide open and making the 'goal' noise, but open enough to cause an audible hum. They tried giving it an extra blast or two of full horn at the time, but in continued to hum for the rest of that first period, and then somehow stopped in between periods.

Comment

Couple of questions on players that there may have been information on but I haven't seen it and I am too lazy to look back and read old posts.

I see on WHockey Commits that Kyleigh Hanzlik is transferring to RMU after the Christmas break. Has she even been on the ice this year?

Is Katie Kotlowski, the freshmen D from Warroad, injured or is she just going to be redshirted?
                      At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                        I see on WHockey Commits that Kyleigh Hanzlik is transferring to RMU after the Christmas break. Has she even been on the ice this year?
                        As far as I can tell from the UW web site 'stats' pages, she has not been on the ice since her freshman year, when she played '4th line' for about half the games. Understandable that she would want to go somewhere where she stands a better chance of seeing ice time. I hope she gets some, and I'll have to try to remember to keep track of that. Being only a 'practice player' must be a difficult role to play mentally.

Good luck, Kyleigh!

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                          As far as I can tell from the UW web site 'stats' pages, she has not been on the ice since her freshman year, when she played '4th line' for about half the games. Understandable that she would want to go somewhere where she stands a better chance of seeing ice time. I hope she gets some, and I'll have to try to remember to keep track of that. Being only a 'practice player' must be a difficult role to play mentally.

Good luck, Kyleigh!
                          Thanks...

You wouldn't happen to know about Kotlowski would you?
                          At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

You wouldn't happen to know about Kotlowski would you?
                            Not a thing.

Comment

Couple of questions on players that there may have been information on but I haven't seen it and I am too lazy to look back and read old posts.
                              Is Katie Kotlowski, the freshmen D from Warroad, injured or is she just going to be redshirted?
                              There is nothing in old posts about these 2 items.

Best wishes to Kyleigh! I hope she gets on the ice for them.

I would assume Kotlowski either redshirts or burns up a year if she wants to try and get out of school in 4 years. DeVito has even played ahead of her a couple times and she's listed as an F.

I didn't get to the game Saturday, sometimes things don't go according to plan.

Comment

Secondary scoring for the weekend was good, it was 5-4 for the top line.

Soup's save% is .907, she's being victimized by D zone coverage on rebounds and backside plays. Squared up initial shots are not beating her, from what I have seen anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X