Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2019-2020 Season Thread

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    They could put a cardboard cut-out in net and still win the games this coming weekend. Minnesota is just another cupcake on the schedule and the Gophers will be lucky to get within a couple of goals in one game and then in the other, Watts is going to light them up. It might be running time bad.
    I'm Bucky Badger and I approve this message.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Time for yet another cupcake series. These get so boring sometimes. Now I know how T3 feels.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
        Time for yet another cupcake series. These get so boring sometimes. Now I know how T3 feels.
        I wonder if Frosty has Sarah Bacon working with the girls this week??? Wisco better hope Ludwig isn't working the series...

Comment

I know what you mean. The outcomes are rather predictable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
            I know what you mean. The outcomes are rather predictable.
            Were you the kind of kid that got one walkie talkie for Xmas?

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
              Were you the kind of kid that got one walkie talkie for Xmas?

I am a little dismayed at the production of the 2 & 3 lines. I wonder watt MJ will do to try and get those players going. Can they afford to break up the top line? Not this weekend, but it might be worth a try the 4 games after this epic series.

Rowe was a little shaky playing D last weekend; she had some clumsy moments and with a team with more speed those moments will be amplified. She's just not as smooth as the other D. I'd rather see Edwards get all the ice time to accelerate her development. Grant has been un-noticeable as a Fr D.

Comment

Rowe was a little shaky playing D last weekend; she had some clumsy moments and with a team with more speed those moments will be amplified. She's just not as smooth as the other D. I'd rather see Edwards get all the ice time to accelerate her development. Grant has been un-noticeable as a Fr D.
                LaMantia, on the other hand, just looks better and better, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                  LaMantia, on the other hand, just looks better and better, IMO.
                  Absolutely. She has certainly helped fill the Rolfes/Gardner void.

Comment

Wisconsin certainly didn't play poorly this weekend as they did have stretches of dominance but very little to show for it. Maybe this is the concern some of you have expressed with the lineup having one line doing the majority of the scoring and what can happen if they essentially get shut down.
                    At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                      Wisconsin certainly didn't play poorly this weekend as they did have stretches of dominance but very little to show for it. Maybe this is the concern some of you have expressed with the lineup having one line doing the majority of the scoring and what can happen if they essentially get shut down.
                      Any feedback on how they played is welcome. Is it fair tot say they played better Sunday than Saturday? MJ said after game 1 he didn't like how they played between the blue lines; they gave a lot of pucks away. That seemed to be what I saw against BSU as well. One other thing I am interested in learning more about is Norby playing with Greig. Did they spot Norby onto the 4th line? MJ has said in the past he has liked Greig's game quite a bit.

Now a bye week. They certainly have things to clean up. I'd love someone to ask MJ if the LIU series actually set them back a bit.

Comment

Any feedback on how they played is welcome. Is it fair tot say they played better Sunday than Saturday? MJ said after game 1 he didn't like how they played between the blue lines; they gave a lot of pucks away. That seemed to be what I saw against BSU as well. One other thing I am interested in learning more about is Norby playing with Greig. Did they spot Norby onto the 4th line? MJ has said in the past he has liked Greig's game quite a bit.

Now a bye week. They certainly have things to clean up. I'd love someone to ask MJ if the LIU series actually set them back a bit.
                        Saturday, the Badgers were more than a little sloppy and careless with the puck in the D end - obviously I jinxed LaMantia this week :-( - and the Gophers made them pay for it. But Minnesota was quicker to the puck all over the ice. Not by 'a lot', but clearly they were the better team. Sunday was very even, and with just a bit of 'puck luck' either could have won. Minn was better early, UW was better late, but again not by a lot. Tracking line combinations was tough in internet stream; I was surprised to see that Greig was the one who got the goal off Norby's pass. No idea if that was a 'regular' thing later in the game or a one time mid-line-change occurance.

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                          Saturday, the Badgers were more than a little sloppy and careless with the puck in the D end - obviously I jinxed LaMantia this week :-( - and the Gophers made them pay for it. But Minnesota was quicker to the puck all over the ice. Not by 'a lot', but clearly they were the better team. Sunday was very even, and with just a bit of 'puck luck' either could have won. Minn was better early, UW was better late, but again not by a lot. Tracking line combinations was tough in internet stream; I was surprised to see that Greig was the one who got the goal off Norby's pass. No idea if that was a 'regular' thing later in the game or a one time mid-line-change occurance.
                          Greig...I was listening to the 3rd period/OT/OT and it seemed like Norby was with Greig on a bit of a regular basis.

Comment

I wasn't following the Wisconsin line combos very closely, but with that caveat, I saw Grieg and G. Shirley out there with Norby a lot. It felt like the latter was getting regular shifts, but that Grieg/Shirley rotated with Schneider/Drake. Posick played little.

Wisconsin did look sloppier than I'm used to. Maybe that was just an off weekend, but I think that there are two actual issues that could be ongoing. This, of course, comes with the note that it's based off of watching only two games. The first is that, as ARM has mentioned, the back end of the defensive corps is not up to the usual standards. After Steffen and Rowe, there's a significant drop off. The S. Potomak/Heise/Zumwinkle kept finding empty space in the Badger zone and taking advantage. In a universe in which hooking and holding were penalties, they would have had a serious problem, because those were the only ways most of the defensemen could keep from getting run over by Amy Potomak. Right now, LaMantia and Buchbinder are liabilities, and Bowlby had a rough weekend. I didn't see Edwards and Grant on the ice enough to get a good feel for their games.

The second issue may not come up very often, but it did this weekend: Watts looks like an awkward fit for a Mark Johnson team. She has one elite, world class skill that I could see: she can be lethal in transition. Once Wisconsin was set up in the offensive zone, she looked good but not great. She isn't an especially good forechecker, and her play in the defensive zone is best described as "indifferent." After the first period on Saturday, Minnesota gave her very little room to operate, with Emily Brown's primary job being to be on the ice whenever Watts was and always staying between her and the net. She did a very good job of it, and Watts was quiet for the rest of the weekend, albeit at the cost of Brown not being much of a factor in the Gophers' offensive game, which a significant thing to give up.

The problem Watts causes for the Badgers is more insidious. Minnesota/Wisconsin games are typically a match to see who can force their preferred style upon the other. The Gophers can look completely lost when Wisconsin really tightens the screws and plays a lock down game. On the other hand, the Badgers get sloppy running around if Minnesota can really crank up the pace. But Daryl Watts, and to a lesser extent Sophie Shirley, wants to play that loose, speed game and when Minnesota offered it to her, she jumped right in. As a consequence, Wisconsin's top line, which logs a ton of ice time, suffered a systems breakdown. The first four periods of the weekend were played according to the Gophers' script. In the fifth, Wisconsin kept the puck in the Minnesota zone for most of the first fifteen minutes, but struggled to get the puck into good scoring locations. By the third, both teams were exhausted and it was basically a death march to see whose errors would matter most.

Wisconsin has enough talent that they can keep things close under those conditions. Indeed, the problem won't come up very often, because there are few teams that want to play run-and-gun hockey with the Badgers. But what I saw this weekend suggests that, when they do run into a quality team that wants to, they aren't going to maximize their performance. It will be interesting to see what happens when they play BC in Nashville, and I'm now extra glad that I'm making that trip.
                            Last edited by Still Eeyore; 11-04-2019, 12:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
                              I wasn't following the Wisconsin line combos very closely, but with that caveat, I saw Grieg and G. Shirley out there with Norby a lot. It felt like the latter was getting regular shifts, but that Grieg/Shirley rotated with Schneider/Drake. Posick played little.

Wisconsin did look sloppier than I'm used to. Maybe that was just an off weekend, but I think that there are two actual issues that could be ongoing. This, of course, comes with the note that it's based off of watching only two games. The first is that, as ARM has mentioned, the back end of the defensive corps is not up to the usual standards. After Steffen and Rowe, there's a significant drop off. The S. Potomak/Heise/Zumwinkle kept finding empty space in the Badger zone and taking advantage. In a universe in which hooking and holding were penalties, they would have had a serious problem, because those were the only ways most of the defensemen could keep from getting run over by Amy Potomak. Right now, LaMantia and Buchbinder are liabilities, and Bowlby had a rough weekend. I didn't see Edwards and Grant on the ice enough to get a good feel for their games.

The second issue may not come up very often, but it did this weekend: Watts looks like an awkward fit for a Mark Johnson team. She has one elite, world class skill that I could see: she can be lethal in transition. Once Wisconsin was set up in the offensive zone, she looked good but not great. She isn't an especially good forechecker, and her play in the defensive zone is best described as "indifferent." After the first period on Saturday, Minnesota gave her very little room to operate, with Emily Brown's primary job being to be on the ice whenever Watts was and always staying between her and the net. She did a very good job of it, and Watts was quiet for the rest of the weekend, albeit at the cost of Brown not being much of a factor in the Gophers' offensive game, which a significant thing to give up.

The problem Watts causes for the Badgers is more insidious. Minnesota/Wisconsin games are typically a match to see who can force their preferred style upon the other. The Gophers can look completely lost when Wisconsin really tightens the screws and plays a lock down game. On the other hand, the Badgers get sloppy running around if Minnesota can really crank up the pace. But Daryl Watts, and to a lesser extent Sophie Shirley, wants to play that loose, speed game and when Minnesota offered it to her, she jumped right in. As a consequence, Wisconsin's top line, which logs a ton of ice time, suffered a systems breakdown. The first four periods of the weekend were played according to the Gophers' script. In the fifth, Wisconsin kept the puck in the Minnesota zone for most of the first fifteen minutes, but struggled to get the puck into good scoring locations. By the third, both teams were exhausted and it was basically a death march to see whose errors would matter most.

Wisconsin has enough talent that they can keep things close under those conditions. Indeed, the problem won't come up very often, because there are few teams that want to play run-and-gun hockey with the Badgers. But what I saw this weekend suggests that, when they do run into a quality team that wants to, they aren't going to maximize their performance. It will be interesting to see what happens when they play BC in Nashville, and I'm now extra glad that I'm making that trip.
                              Thanks for the synopsis.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post

Excellent synopsis! As one whose game summaries go more like 'They played good,' I appreciate thoughtful and incisive analysis.

Comment

Working...
                                X