Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2019-2020 Season Thread

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    Couple of questions on players that there may have been information on but I haven't seen it and I am too lazy to look back and read old posts.

I see on WHockey Commits that Kyleigh Hanzlik is transferring to RMU after the Christmas break. Has she even been on the ice this year?
    I have updated the spreadsheet with Kyleigh transfering to Robert Morris. Wish her all the best of luck there!
    Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
      I have updated the spreadsheet with Kyleigh transfering to Robert Morris. Wish her all the best of luck there!
      Interesting - I wasn't aware that a player could transfer mid-year. Is it something that has to be in the works since the summer? Or how fast can that actually happen? Not necessarily asking about this particular player but the process in general.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
        Soup's save% is .907, she's being victimized by D zone coverage on rebounds and backside plays. Squared up initial shots are not beating her, from what I have seen anyway.
        Campbell has also had some bad moments. At least one of the goals against BC was really soft, and the one she gave up to Harvard was awful: let a soft shot bounce off her chest, fumbled it with the glove, and let it fall just outside the crease. She didn't get any help from the defense, either, as a Harvard player came in entirely unmarked to poke it home, but the puck should never have been sitting there for the chance.

The two games in Nashville reinforced my previously held opinion: Wisconsin's team defense falls far short of what we're used to seeing. They have the puck enough that they limit the overall number of chances, but they give up some glorious opportunities. Campbell, outside of last year's playoffs, is a decent goalie that isn't going to bail you out of too many of those situations. Right now, I actually trust Minnesota's team defense more than the Badgers'.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
          Campbell has also had some bad moments. At least one of the goals against BC was really soft, and the one she gave up to Harvard was awful: let a soft shot bounce off her chest, fumbled it with the glove, and let it fall just outside the crease. She didn't get any help from the defense, either, as a Harvard player came in entirely unmarked to poke it home, but the puck should never have been sitting there for the chance.

The two games in Nashville reinforced my previously held opinion: Wisconsin's team defense falls far short of what we're used to seeing. They have the puck enough that they limit the overall number of chances, but they give up some glorious opportunities. Campbell, outside of last year's playoffs, is a decent goalie that isn't going to bail you out of too many of those situations. Right now, I actually trust Minnesota's team defense more than the Badgers'.
          Defense is definitely the biggest question mark. The concern should be that it was super exposed against Minnesota and we haven't really seen much improvement since then. The defense struggled at times in Nashville and then UMD just showed things aren't much different than they were a month ago in Minneapolis.

And not to reopen old wounds from two pages ago, but IMO the Kepler transfer had as much to do with the chaos at Ohio State as anything. Google tells me her transfer was announced the same day Potter was terminated as head coach. That also means Kepler was at OSU for two years with Handrahan, who resigned under threat of being fired for a whole litany of messed up behaviors, including sexual harassment and intimidation. That Handrahan got away with that for four years and then the Potter year happened tells us a lot about what kind of oversight the athletic department had on women's hockey. We talk a lot about what Muzzerall has done on the ice, but there's been a huge shift behind the scene in Columbus, as well. It's crap the situation happened, but I do think OSU seems to have taken steps to make sure it's not repeated.
          It's a great day for hockey!

Comment

Originally posted by still eeyore View Post
            right now, i actually trust minnesota's team defense more than the badgers'.
            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

A bit of a positive shock to see Curl, Roque and Buchbinder on the roster for this Canada series. I haven't watch the entire game yet to see if Buchbinder played ay all but Curl and Roque were getting regular shifts when I was watching) late into the first period. The line chart said they were playing with this Pankowski player, interesting. No Decker, another interesting tidbit.

Hey hey is Robert going to the Final Four?! Great job VB team demolishing Nebraska yesterday and all season!
              Last edited by Timothy A; 12-15-2019, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Hey hey is Robert going to the Final Four?! Great job VB team demolishing Nebraska yesterday and all season!
                Boy, I'd like to, but no. Besides being right up against Christmas, my record of attending women's hockey final fours says I should definitely stay home.

Wisconsin has a tough, tough task ahead with Baylor. UW played Baylor back in September, and Baylor 'outside hitter' Yossiana Pressley pretty much beat them single-handedly. Not that Baylor doesn't have other weapons - they do - but Pressley is just crazy good. Six foot even, and with a full 36 inch vertical, she can hit over anybody. There's two reasons to hope it might be different this time around: back in Sept, UW was still working out their backline ball-handling responsibilities, and they very much have done so now; and one of their outside hitters, Madison Duello,was out injured against Baylor. So *maybe* she can manage to slow Pressley down a bit. But...

And then there's Stanford. National champs two of the last three years, with almost all of the players from those teams still there and playing (they won as freshmen and again as juniors). They have a tendency to 'sleepwalk' through a set now and then, so our friends from Minnesota might have a chance. But if Stanford shows up to play, they are extremely hard to beat.

If you get the chance on Thursday, tune if only to see Pressley jump and swing on the ball.

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                  Boy, I'd like to, but no. Besides being right up against Christmas, my record of attending women's hockey final fours says I should definitely stay home.

Wisconsin has a tough, tough task ahead with Baylor. UW played Baylor back in September, and Baylor 'outside hitter' Yossiana Pressley pretty much beat them single-handedly. Not that Baylor doesn't have other weapons - they do - but Pressley is just crazy good. Six foot even, and with a full 36 inch vertical, she can hit over anybody. There's two reasons to hope it might be different this time around: back in Sept, UW was still working out their backline ball-handling responsibilities, and they very much have done so now; and one of their outside hitters, Madison Duello,was out injured against Baylor. So *maybe* she can manage to slow Pressley down a bit.
                  Ok, you are grounded, though I'd bet you'd come back with a very interesting story or 2 for us.

Madison Duella is a BEASTETTE! Isn't some of UW run's due to her being healthy and the ball handling being worked out? The way they have just run the table and just dominated other than the 5 set loss to PSU after going up 2-0 makes me more confident than ever they can get it done. I especially enjoyed the 3-1 win at the rodents and the 9-0 shucking of the Huskers. Let's go RED!

Comment

Ok, you are grounded, though I'd bet you'd come back with a very interesting story or 2 for us.

Madison Duella is a BEASTETTE! Isn't some of UW run's due to her being healthy and the ball handling being worked out? The way they have just run the table and just dominated other than the 5 set loss to PSU after going up 2-0 makes me more confident than ever they can get it done. I especially enjoyed the 3-1 win at the rodents and the 9-0 shucking of the Huskers. Let's go RED!
                    More so the back end ball handling, I'd say. But certainly a healthy Duello helps.

But all the teams are different, better than they were earlier. Minnesota's setter (the 'quarterback') was injured for the middle part of the year; if she had been healthy, UW would have had a harder time winning the B1G. Dana Rettke missed a couple matches in the middle of the year. Stanford's best player, Kathryn Plummer missed a couple weeks, but is back and playing well. Baylor has a soph outside named Van der Mark who has really upped her game in the NCAAs. What happened in September only goes to far in predicting what might happen next weekend.

And volleyball really is an amazing game; I'm just enjoying it more and more. I used to think football was the most 'integrated' game there was; everything affects everything. But VB may be even more so. Back end serve-receive gets a 'cleaner' ball to the setter, giving her more and better options to set for the kill. Tough serving keeps the other team from doing likewise, making it easier for your block to get into a good position, etc etc etc. Offense leads to defense leads to offense, and on and on.

UW definitely has a chance against Baylor; Minn definitely has a chance against Stanford. But Baylor and Stanford have to be the favorites.

Man, this year has been fun!

Comment

A bit of a positive shock to see Curl, Roque and Buchbinder on the roster for this Canada series. I haven't watch the entire game yet to see if Buchbinder played ay all but Curl and Roque were getting regular shifts when I was watching) late into the first period. The line chart said they were playing with this Pankowski player, interesting. No Decker, another interesting tidbit.
                      I watched the last 2 periods, the Badger line produced a lots of good pressure and Pankowski had some 1 on 1 efforts that were splendid where she fought through rubs and interference along the boards. Rigsby played very well, she seemed really in control and dialed in. In the past she has over-moved at times, but not that game. Didn't hear Buchbinder's name called at all and I was too lazy to find out what her number was, so I have no idea if she even dressed. The last 3 of this series of games are early February and conflict with St. Cloud and Kato series for UW, so I have no idea if these same players will be gone for those series or not; I selfishly hope they are not, UW can't afford any "bad" losses in the pairwise.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                        I watched the last 2 periods, the Badger line produced a lots of good pressure and Pankowski had some 1 on 1 efforts that were splendid where she fought through rubs and interference along the boards. Rigsby played very well, she seemed really in control and dialed in. In the past she has over-moved at times, but not that game. Didn't hear Buchbinder's name called at all and I was too lazy to find out what her number was, so I have no idea if she even dressed. The last 3 of this series of games are early February and conflict with St. Cloud and Kato series for UW, so I have no idea if these same players will be gone for those series or not; I selfishly hope they are not, UW can't afford any "bad" losses in the pairwise.
                        Just a guess but I think USA Hockey will want to get another look at the Lamoureuxs and Decker before worlds, so that’s at least 3 spots right there. I’d be surprised if many, of any college players are on the Jan/Feb USA roster. I looked at the previous rosters and since 2018 4 Nations 43 players have represented the senior US National team.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                          Just a guess but I think USA Hockey will want to get another look at the Lamoureuxs and Decker before worlds, so that’s at least 3 spots right there. I’d be surprised if many, of any college players are on the Jan/Feb USA roster. I looked at the previous rosters and since 2018 4 Nations 43 players have represented the senior US National team.
                          I think you are 100% correct. It was nice of them to take a look at them when they would not affect their day jobs.

Comment

Roque scores on ARD with an A from Buchbinder. Oh the humanity! I am bummed I didn't dvr the game, it was not clear to me when it was going to be played from Twitter anyway. Maybe I can find it on replay on the NHL Network. Pankowski got bumped up to the first line, her strong showing in game one must have been noticed. Did see a highlight of ARD stoning Ms Kessel. I didn't mind that at all. I wouldn't mind at all if Kessel and Clark or Nurse traded nationalities.

Comment

I wouldn't mind at all if Kessel and Clark or Nurse traded nationalities.
                              That would be a bad trade for the USA. I knew you were Canadian at heart!
                              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Figured that trade option he mentioned was coming from an evening of heavy thinner consumption...
                                At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Working...
                                X