Wisconsin Badgers 2019-2020 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NMH View Post
    We can nitpick the goaltending and it's true that Campbell does probably stop two of those three goals, but the bigger point has to be that you simply have to score more than one goal against MSU.

I don't see putting this loss on Blesi when the only goal scored on offense was too late to matter on a 5-on-3 they didn't deserve.

Watching Sunday's game felt a lot like watching the national championship game against Clarkson in 2017 to me. In both cases it was clear the ice was playing slow and the Badgers had no idea what to do about it. They couldn't play their usual fast game and they couldn't rely on crisp passes as the puck wasn't moving like they wanted it to and then they were just totally lost and it showed.

I'd like to see the team be able to adapt better than that and it's not great that this has happened before and the team still hasn't been prepared for it. There's something to being so far in system that you can't function if the system breaks down and it felt a lot like that's what happened on Sunday. It's like the slow ice threw them off so badly that suddenly they couldn't complete simple passes or hit wide open shots. Everything was just OFF and it was honestly really hard to watch.
    They lost because of slow ice??!! This sounds like a Muzz presser after a loss.

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2019-2020 Season Thread

Originally posted by Offsides Guy View Post
      Indeed, that does sound like something the Muzzinator would say...
      At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
        I don't think goals 1 and 3 have anything to do with lack of experience, and I'm not sure goal 2 did either.

Personally I don't like a goalie rotation system unless it's a set game 1 goes to x player and game 2 goes to y player. Play the best one and go for it.
        Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
        No matter how bored ARD or Rigsby were, I never saw them have a game like a I saw Saturday.
        You can't have it both ways. If you play one goalie all of the time, and then she gets hurt, be prepared for a drop in effectiveness when your backup goalie has sat on the bench for two years. Sidney Peters redshirted a year and then played the equivalent of about 15 games over the next two seasons. By the time she took over as the No. 1 goalie as a redshirt junior, there was definitely rust in her game, and she didn't always react to things that were happening at game speed. If the backup goalie goes more than a season with irregular work, she isn't going to be as sharp as a goalie who sees the ice almost every weekend.

On the other hand, I do think that falling behind in the WCHA is not a recipe for success. Even the weaker teams are pretty effective at protecting multiple-goal leads. Many offenses, even those that are high-scoring, start to press when they're looking at a deficit.
        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
          You can't have it both ways. If you play one goalie all of the time, and then she gets hurt, be prepared for a drop in effectiveness when your backup goalie has sat on the bench for two years. Sidney Peters redshirted a year and then played the equivalent of about 15 games over the next two seasons. By the time she took over as the No. 1 goalie as a redshirt junior, there was definitely rust in her game, and she didn't always react to things that were happening at game speed. If the backup goalie goes more than a season with irregular work, she isn't going to be as sharp as a goalie who sees the ice almost every weekend.

On the other hand, I do think that falling behind in the WCHA is not a recipe for success. Even the weaker teams are pretty effective at protecting multiple-goal leads. Many offenses, even those that are high-scoring, start to press when they're looking at a deficit.
          Blesi is practicing against top end shooters and playmakers in practices and scrimmages, it isn't like she just came in off the street. She played very well in the games before, hence the clunker Saturday was all the more shocking. It was just 1 bad game. I'm sure everything will turn out just fine.

The wild card in all of this is Cece, a Sr. goalie who was listed in the game day roster sheets as the primary back-up many many times over the last 4 years. She apparently was suspended. I wonder if she was still with the team if she would have started some of these games.

Also, the fact that this did happen shows why you can't stick your backup into the starter's role against a weak opponent and assume you are going to win (in a tight race as usual). Also, historically, the back-up for UW is usually a star in the waiting, so it's not a big deal. ARD looked awesome when she filled in for Rigsby.
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

I think I'll leave it up to MJ and the other coaches...

Comment

In baseball, groundskeepers are known to tweak the field conditions to suit their team, such as packing the dirt in front of the plate or leaving the infield grass a little long. Maybe rink managers around the WCHA will start dialing up the ice temperature by a degree or so when the Badgers come to town.

Comment

Originally posted by Leather helmet View Post
                In baseball, groundskeepers are known to tweak the field conditions to suit their team, such as packing the dirt in front of the plate or leaving the infield grass a little long. Maybe rink managers around the WCHA will start dialing up the ice temperature by a degree or so when the Badgers come to town.
                They thought of it between Friday's game and Saturday's game?

(Friday's game, Wisconsin put 37 shots on goal; On Saturday, 36 SOG. On Friday, Mankato put 12 shots on goal; On Saturday, 11 SOG.)
                Last edited by robertearle; 02-12-2020, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                  They thought of it between Friday's game and Saturday's game?
                  Hey, I'm a big-picture guy. I've already moved on to other theories. My next idea involves the home team surreptitiously wearing night-vision goggles and backlighting the visiting goalie.

Comment

They lost because of slow ice??!!
                    Let's see if we can edit this sentence so that it doesn't misrepresent what NMH said, shall we?

They lost in part because of their inability to adjust to slow ice??!!
                    Only an idiot would deny that the characteristics of the ice surface can affect the play, and that it's going to affect different teams in different ways. Some teams are going to benefit from slower ice, and other teams are going to be hurt by it. And it's neither surprising nor nefarious that teams that fall into the former category might opt to produce slower ice when one of the latter teams comes to visit. As NMH said, if you want to be a great team, you need to be able to adapt to that. If Wisconsin can't do that, it's on them. There's a difference between an explanation of what happened and an excuse for what happened. NMH was positing the first, not the second. I didn't watch Sunday's game, or the Badgers' loss up in Bemidji, so I can't offer an opinion as to whether that's a correct assessment, though it does sound plausible.

As I said, it's interesting to hear that, because I find that Minnesota usually struggles more to make that adaptation than Wisconsin does, but the Gophers have done a really good job adjusting to bad ice this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
                      Let's see if we can edit this sentence so that it doesn't misrepresent what NMH said, shall we?

Only an idiot would deny that the characteristics of the ice surface can affect the play, and that it's going to affect different teams in different ways. Some teams are going to benefit from slower ice, and other teams are going to be hurt by it. And it's neither surprising nor nefarious that teams that fall into the former category might opt to produce slower ice when one of the latter teams comes to visit. As NMH said, if you want to be a great team, you need to be able to adapt to that. If Wisconsin can't do that, it's on them. There's a difference between an explanation of what happened and an excuse for what happened. NMH was positing the first, not the second. I didn't watch Sunday's game, or the Badgers' loss up in Bemidji, so I can't offer an opinion as to whether that's a correct assessment, though it does sound plausible.

As I said, it's interesting to hear that, because I find that Minnesota usually struggles more to make that adaptation than Wisconsin does, but the Gophers have done a really good job adjusting to bad ice this year.
                      NMH said, "In both cases it was clear the ice was playing slow and the Badgers had no idea what to do about it. They couldn't play their usual fast game and they couldn't rely on crisp passes as the puck wasn't moving like they wanted it to and then they were just totally lost and it showed." Sorry, but that's laying the blame on the ice as the cause of their troubles and the loss.

I was at the Bemidji/WI series and can tell you ice had nothing to do with the outcome even though Sanford is known for soft ice. The Beavers simply worked much harder in Saturday's win than they did in Fri's loss and their goaltending once again shined. It was similar to the recent Beaver/Gopher series (though BSU didn't get a win obviously) in which the Beavers worked much harder in Saturday's game making it much more of a contest.

Comment

NMH said, "In both cases it was clear the ice was playing slow and the Badgers had no idea what to do about it. They couldn't play their usual fast game and they couldn't rely on crisp passes as the puck wasn't moving like they wanted it to and then they were just totally lost and it showed." Sorry, but that's laying the blame on the ice as the cause of their troubles and the loss.
                        You're free to reach your own conclusions, but I agree with NMH and Eeyore on this one. There are days where the ice can vary (more/less snow, water at the start of the period, whatever). Some days, the pucks don't seem properly chilled and they're bouncing all over. In all of these cases, both teams have to deal with the same factors. IMO, NMH is placing the ultimate blame on the Badgers' failure to adjust, more so than on the conditions. I don't view it as sour grapes.

I have no problem believing that the Beavers worked hard.
                        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                          You're free to reach your own conclusions, but I agree with NMH and Eeyore on this one. There are days where the ice can vary (more/less snow, water at the start of the period, whatever). Some days, the pucks don't seem properly chilled and they're bouncing all over. In all of these cases, both teams have to deal with the same factors. IMO, NMH is placing the ultimate blame on the Badgers' failure to adjust, more so than on the conditions. I don't view it as sour grapes.

I have no problem believing that the Beavers worked hard.
                          Wisconsin put as many shots on goal against Mankato on Saturday as they did on Friday; Wisconsin allowed the same number of shots on goal on Saturday as they did on Friday. Any issue with the quality of the ice does not seem to have changed that 'output' from Friday to Saturday.

On Friday, Wisconsin managed to get shots to go in; on Saturday they didn't. On Saturday, Mankato got shots to go in; on Friday, they didn't. It happens.

Comment

Sorry, I didn't realize that misrepresentation was your goal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
                              Sorry, I didn't realize that misrepresentation was your goal.
                              Or misunderstanding yours...

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                                Wisconsin put as many shots on goal against Mankato on Saturday as they did on Friday; Wisconsin allowed the same number of shots on goal on Saturday as they did on Friday. Any issue with the quality of the ice does not seem to have changed that 'output' from Friday to Saturday.

On Friday, Wisconsin managed to get shots to go in; on Saturday they didn't. On Saturday, Mankato got shots to go in; on Friday, they didn't. It happens.
                                The two explanations are not mutually exclusive. It is perfectly possible that Wisconsin was affected by soft ice on both nights, but that the difference between games is where the shots were going in.

Comment

Working...
                                X