Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2019-2020 Season Thread

Originally posted by D2D View Post
    All that said, I do wish our women's D1 hockey sport (which we all love here) generated much greater fan interest and attendance numbers than is currently the case. When looked at it this way, Wisconsin and Minnesota are leading the way.
    It is truly sad to turn on UW/Kato and see like 14 people in the stands. It's shocking that the fine inhabitants of Mankato MN in the state of hockey really could care less about women's hockey. It sends the wrong message, but the you can't deny the facts. It's even sadder that a huge city like Baustin doesn't have a couple thousand at each BC or BU game. Everyone is saying that the women's game is growing, but in hockeycentric locations aside of UM and UW no one seems to put their butt where there mouth is. What's really neat is Minneapolis St Paul has 3.4+ million people in it and Madison has 259,000, but UW had lead the country in attendance without a fill the Kohl event for like forever. On Wisconsin!
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
      It is truly sad to turn on UW/Kato and see like 14 people in the stands. It's shocking that the fine inhabitants of Mankato MN in the state of hockey really could care less about women's hockey. It sends the wrong message, but the you can't deny the facts. It's even sadder that a huge city like Baustin doesn't have a couple thousand at each BC or BU game. Everyone is saying that the women's game is growing, but in hockeycentric locations aside of UM and UW no one seems to put their butt where there mouth is. What's really neat is Minneapolis St Paul has 3.4+ million people in it and Madison has 259,000, but UW had lead the country in attendance without a fill the Kohl event for like forever. On Wisconsin!
      Good points all around but reality is that there are several options for hockey fans in the state of hockey. From the Wild all the way down to high school hockey, which can draw really large crowds. UW women have a great fan base, no doubt. But they aren’t competing with a lot of hockey options in Madison or the state of Wi, other than the men’s team or possibly the Madison Capitols juniors team. But you really can’t compare the hockey scene in MN to that in Wi or any other state. Its just different

Comment

WI State Journal reporter Todd M tweets that WKOW TV is picking up this weekend's telecasts from Duluth and putting them on their digital channel 27.3, where they otherwise have one of those rerun channels, 'Decades'.

I have no idea what that means on a local cable system or DISH or Hulu or ... If you switch to where 'Decades' is, do you get the game? And what about outside Madison.

But I get to watch them on my regular over-the-air TV. YAY!

Comment

Originally posted by Sieve1 View Post
          Good points all around but reality is that there are several options for hockey fans in the state of hockey. From the Wild all the way down to high school hockey, which can draw really large crowds. UW women have a great fan base, no doubt. But they aren’t competing with a lot of hockey options in Madison or the state of Wi, other than the men’s team or possibly the Madison Capitols juniors team. But you really can’t compare the hockey scene in MN to that in Wi or any other state. Its just different
          Keep in mind that the "State of Hockey" is really only a thing north of I-94, plus the Twin Cities suburbs/exurbs and Rochester. The southwest third of the state is basketball territory.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
            Keep in mind that the "State of Hockey" is really only a thing north of I-94, plus the Twin Cities suburbs/exurbs and Rochester. The southwest third of the state is basketball territory.
            WATT!?!?! I've been lied to all these years? Hockey is only a regional thing in MN? I suppose now someone is going to tell me landing on Saturn was just a big lie too. Geepers.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
              I suppose now someone is going to tell me landing on Saturn was just a big lie too. Geepers.
              No, but Paul McCartney died in 1966...
              Elvis is still alive...
              The CIA executed JFK...
              The 1969 Moon landing was a staged event...
              9/11 was an orchestrated, controlled demolition...
              TWA fight 800 was shot down by a surface to air missile...

And yes, Jeffrey Epstein did not kill himself...
              At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                No, but Paul McCartney died in 1966...
                Elvis is still alive...
                The CIA executed JFK...
                The 1969 Moon landing was a staged event...
                9/11 was an orchestrated, controlled demolition...
                TWA fight 800 was shot down by a surface to air missile...

And yes, Jeffrey Epstein did not kill himself...
                F
                T
                T
                F
                F
                F
                T

Hey, it's a great day for hockey! True for sure.

As much as I hate getting the bye in the wwcha, I vote for retaining first place this year and winning the regular season title.

Comment

Robert, can you provide some insight as to how UW only had 2 sog in the first period? I might just go out an buy an antenna to watch Sunday's game. If the travel trailer wasn't snugged away and winterized, I could probably watch it in there.

Comment

Robert, can you provide some insight as to how UW only had 2 sog in the first period? I might just go out an buy an antenna to watch Sunday's game. If the travel trailer wasn't snugged away and winterized, I could probably watch it in there.
                    There were times when pressure from the Duluth fore check had them bottled up pretty good - ice the puck, or clear to center ice and go for a 'dump and change'. But much of the period didn't 'feel' that way. I bet if we could find a box score where they reported both 'shots' and 'shots on goal', the 'shots' stats would look more 'normal'. Duluth was doing a good job of blocking shots and keep them from getting to Rooney. And twice S Shirley had really great 'breakaway' type chances where the puck rolled off her stick.

In the second, they got a couple lucky bounces that turned into fairly easy goals, and penalties help 'tilt the ice'; the box score says five PPs, but at least two of them were shortened by overlapping calls against the Badgers - all legit calls; the Duluth TV announcer even said a couple times that he though UMD got away with others that probably should have been called; Roque getting tackled on a 'chip and chase' that should have been holding/interference, for one. Eeyore favorite ref, Ludwig, brought his whistle to the game for once.

What might have been Rooney's more impressive save came on a quick shot from the faceoff circle from one of her defensemen (!) The TV guy said it "only" hit the pipe, but I think she got a piece of it to deflect it into the pipe. The D player was, of course, going for a pass off th board behind goal, and 'missed'.

Adding: the UW web site has a play-by-play recount of the game. Shots in the first period were 10-to-7 in favor of UMD.

----

Another quality win from the men's team last night. They've had a good number of them this year. Too bad they can't seem to play that way more consistently.
                    Last edited by robertearle; 02-22-2020, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Robert, insight part 2?

Comment

Robert, insight part 2?
                        The first two periods looked a lot like yesterday. Duluth had UW on their heels even more so than yesterday in the 1st Period; in the 2nd, a couple power play opportunities finally got them going. An early 3rd period goal, I was hoping the 3rd would play out like yesterday as well. It didn't. A couple of pucks that need to get cleared away but weren't cleared turned into Duluth goals; one in the crease that Watts left alone, thinking the D would get there, and then a Campbell rebound that just sat far enough away from UW sticks for Duluth to get to and put away.

And then came the final minute...

They are just not playing well right now. The heroics at the end today might wipe some of that away... until Monday video review, when I'm sure MF will impress that fact on them.

Hey, outright WCHA champs! The last minute heroics keep the Gophers from claiming a share of the title. That is something to celebrate all by itself!

(At crucial moments, it was Shirley-Roque-Watts again. But for most of the game, it was the recent 'usual' combinations.)

Comment

A reminder:

Even though UW has next weekend off, tomorrow 8:30 AM is the first chance (for season ticket holders) to request NCAA quarterfinal tickets.

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                            The first two periods looked a lot like yesterday. Duluth had UW on their heels even more so than yesterday in the 1st Period; in the 2nd, a couple power play opportunities finally got them going. An early 3rd period goal, I was hoping the 3rd would play out like yesterday as well. It didn't. A couple of pucks that need to get cleared away but weren't cleared turned into Duluth goals; one in the crease that Watts left alone, thinking the D would get there, and then a Campbell rebound that just sat far enough away from UW sticks for Duluth to get to and put away.

And then came the final minute...

They are just not playing well right now. The heroics at the end today might wipe some of that away... until Monday video review, when I'm sure MF will impress that fact on them.

Hey, outright WCHA champs! The last minute heroics keep the Gophers from claiming a share of the title. That is something to celebrate all by itself!

(At crucial moments, it was Shirley-Roque-Watts again. But for most of the game, it was the recent 'usual' combinations.)
                            Thanks a ton for the analysis. Is there any issue with Soup that you can see? Any regrettables? They are not any where near "peaking at the right time". They could very well not win another game this season and that is not an exaggeration. It is good to see Roque/SS/Watts/Curl come through in clutch times the last few games after not being clutch @ BSU or Kato.

That Watts OT winner was SICK. Also her goal from laying on the ice was kinda sweet too.

Comment

Is there any issue with Soup that you can see? Any regrettables?
                              It's hard to separate out how much is better D in front of her last year vs this year as opposed to her not being as good individually this year. Some of both, I suspect. One of the 3rd period goals from Brodt today was a two-on-one where Steffen took away the pass, but Brodt beat Campbell clean. One of those you hope she stops, but... there were others she made really good saves on today. The Duluth TV guy (who was actually pretty insightful at times) said that UW kept Duluth outside and away from the slot yesterday, and Duluth needed to attack the net more today, which they were able to do.

Yeah, they could go out early, or win five in a row; Who knows. Somebody's gonna win three or four or five in a row. Why not us?

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                                Yeah, they could go out early, or win five in a row; Who knows. Somebody's gonna win three or four or five in a row. Why not us?
                                Because eventually - likely on March 8th - you'll have to play the Gophers, and they owe ya!
                                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X