Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2019-2020 Season Thread

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    It's almost an inconsequential game in regards to the NCAA's for UW, and to me it's all about getting home ice for the NCAA's. ... If the Dwagettes win the wwcha, they are headed to Madison or Rodentapolis, correct?
    If Wisconsin loses in the semi, they might very well drop to #3 in the Pairwise, and that might very well mean a quarterfinal against Ohio State. Staying at #2 would more likely mean Clarkson. So that feels 'consequential' to me. But then, what I always say about a tournament is 'you play a pretty good team who just got done beating a pretty good team'. So...

I don't know if Duluth would get sent to Madison or back to Minneapolis for their quarterfinal should they win the WCHA. But it would be one or the other, yes.

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
      If Wisconsin loses in the semi, they might very well drop to #3 in the Pairwise, and that might very well mean a quarterfinal against Ohio State.
      I don't know of a scenario where UW drops below #2.

I don't know if Duluth would get sent to Madison or back to Minneapolis for their quarterfinal should they win the WCHA. But it would be one or the other, yes.
      Because OSU is still in play, I would think that Duluth goes to Madison. The exception would be if Duluth, Harvard, a HEA team other than Northeastern, and a CHA team all get auto bids, at which point I assume that OSU is out.

Really I only see two possible ways that UMD vs UW can play out: 1) UMD has no legs early and immediately falls into a multi-goal hole; 2) UMD gives it a good try but runs out of gas after about 30 minutes. The Badgers will win their semifinal, period.
      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Originally posted by ARM View Post

Because OSU is still in play, I would think that Duluth goes to Madison. The exception would be if Duluth, Harvard, a HEA team other than Northeastern, and a CHA team all get auto bids, at which point I assume that OSU is out.

Really I only see two possible ways that UMD vs UW can play out: 1) UMD has no legs early and immediately falls into a multi-goal hole; 2) UMD gives it a good try but runs out of gas after about 30 minutes. The Badgers will win their semifinal, period.
        UMD’s legs looked fine on Sunday and won’t be an issue but WI will win anyway. MJ must have found a way to light a fire under his Badgers this week and they’ll finally play a full 60 minutes up to their potential.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
          (One of the reasons I suggested a set of 'defaults' to Grant in his predictor tool)

1) Load the defaults. 2) Change WCHA winner from Wisconsin to Minnesota.

Minnesota move to #2 and Wisconsin to #3.

Comment

(One of the reasons I suggested a set of 'defaults' to Grant in his predictor tool)

1) Load the defaults. 2) Change WCHA winner from Wisconsin to Minnesota.

Minnesota move to #2 and Wisconsin to #3.
            Thanks.

Don't you just love the PairWise? UW can lock up #2 by losing a semi, but not by winning. Stupid system.
            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
              Thanks.

Don't you just love the PairWise? UW can lock up #2 by losing a semi, but not by winning. Stupid system.
              This is entirely a function of including head-to-head matchups in PWR. Minnesota passes Wisconsin in RPI in most situations in which they win the WCHA final, but lose the pairing on a combination of common opponents (thanks largely to the tie with BC) and the extra point the Badgers get from head-to-head. The Gophers need to equalize the latter criterion, and have RPI be the tiebreaker.

Comment

If Wisconsin loses in the semi, they might very well drop to #3 in the Pairwise, and that might very well mean a quarterfinal against Ohio State. Staying at #2 would more likely mean Clarkson. So that feels 'consequential' to me. But then, what I always say about a tournament is 'you play a pretty good team who just got done beating a pretty good team'. So...

I really don't want another wwcha match in the ncaa's for the sake that it is boring to play someone for a 5th or 6th time. I want to see another team. I really enjoyed the Princeton game last year, someone new to watch. Unless you get the CHA chumpion, there will not be an easy out. And THEN, UW and UM will be the 2/3 and they will play in the semi. Somehow UM and UW need to get together and figure out how one of them can get to the 4th seed.
                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

...and figure out how one of them can get to the 4th seed.
                  If Wisconsin wins the WCHA, Cornell loses in their semi, and Minn loses to Ohio state in their semi, Wisconsin can get to #1... and Minn to #4.

Is that what you had in mind? :-)

(Wisconsin win, Minn loss in the semis and Cornell wins their semi, and Wisconsin can be #2 with Minn #4.)

Comment

If Wisconsin wins the WCHA, Cornell loses in their semi, and Minn loses to Ohio state in their semi, Wisconsin can get to #1... and Minn to #4....
                    (Wisconsin win, Minn loss in the semis and Cornell wins their semi, and Wisconsin can be #2 with Minn #4.)
                    Makes you just love this time of year. The possibilities, of which there are still many, are coming into focus, as the games get so much tougher...
                    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

and Minn loses to Ohio state in their semi,
                      The way Minnesota has played against Ohio State lately...It's likely to happen.
                      At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

I just hope the Gophers don't have to face North Dakota again in the quarterfinals.

Comment

Originally posted by Leather helmet View Post
                          I just hope the Gophers don't have to face North Dakota again in the quarterfinals.
                          No worries, their club team isn't that great.
                          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

It's a great day for hockey! Let's go RED!
                            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

It's a great day for hockey! Let's go RED!
                              Similar dynamic to last Sunday: if Cornell loses today, Wisconsin can catch them by beating either Minnesota or Ohio State; but if Cornell doesn't lose until tomorrow, it would take a win over Minnesota - better RPI boost, better Quality Win Bonus, etc - to catch them.

And that all depends on taking care of Duluth today, of course.

(I watched the first half or so of the men last next. Wow! So who do you start at goal tonight? Bloomquist?)

Comment

Similar dynamic to last Sunday: if Cornell loses today, Wisconsin can catch them by beating either Minnesota or Ohio State; but if Cornell doesn't lose until tomorrow, it would take a win over Minnesota - better RPI boost, better Quality Win Bonus, etc - to catch them.

And that all depends on taking care of Duluth today, of course.

(I watched the first half or so of the men last next. Wow! So who do you start at goal tonight? Bloomquist?)
                                Turns out there's a way for UW to get to #1 even if Ohio State wins their semi, but JUST barely.

Robert Morris wins CHA (they;re leading right now), UCONN beats Northeastern (UCONN winning their semi right now), and Princeton beats Cornell (Princeton winning their semi right now).

Then a win by UW over Ohio State puts Wisconsin ahead of Cornell by 0.00002 (!). It would round to a flatout tie on the USCHO page, but Grant goes one decimal point farther.

------

(Adding, a win by Northeastern over UCONN, with all the rest the same, and Cornell beats UW by 0.00003. Would also round to a tie on USCHO.)
                                Last edited by robertearle; 03-07-2020, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X