Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2019-2020 Season Thread

Originally posted by Leather helmet View Post
    Mankato scored 3 goals on only 11 shots. I didn't see the game, but either the Mavericks have a bunch of steely-eyed snipers who don't pull the trigger until they see the corner of the net, or UW just saw the future beyond Campbell.

Mankato's first shot was taken from above the faceoff circle and beat Blesi clean. A good shot, but one you would expect the goalie to stop. Their second shot was into Blesi's body, and she had just about controlled the puck until it just got away from her, and then was punched in during the scrum in front of her. Three shots, two goals.

The third goal was a two-on-one breakaway when somebody - Roque, maybe - got her skates crossed and fell. Steffen tried to play the pass by laying out, but it got through to the second Mankato player. It would have been a tough save for Blesi; one you hope your goalie can save, but you wouldn't 'expect' it.

Offensively, the Badgers had a ton of really good chances, especially early on, but just couldn't get one to go in. Calla Frank had a lot to do with that, but they must have used up all their 'puck luck' last weekend against St Cloud.

One of those days.
    Last edited by robertearle; 02-09-2020, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
      Tim, were you able to see the game? If so, what's your take?
      I was able to watch a little, but those 2 people announcing the game were absolutely worse than any high school amateur radio broadcasts I've ever heard. Whoever produced that should be utterly embarrassed.
      Robert is spot on with his analysis. The first and 3rd are saves you need to make from the distance they were shot and number 2 Blesi thought it was in her pads but it plopped down next to her and UW didn't tie up sticks, bodies or clear it. I'd go 50 50 on that one for responsibility. Blesi's reaction to that goal was to me not how you want your goalie to act. This kind of game certainly makes me wonder if Blesi is ready to carry the load next year. She was solid until this game. I can't recall a softer 3 goals allowed by a UW goalie in a game than these 3.

I saws the first 2 periods, so comments on those 2 periods....Watts missed a wide open net in the first 2 minutes of the second on the backdoor. If she pots that one and gets it to 2-1 and at that point Kato has the doubts creep in. UW's 2nd period was not good again from a SOG standpoint. Down 3-0 in the 2nd you need to next to a next gear. Teams coming back from being down 3 in the 3rd are very rare. Reffing was awful, both teams got screwed, but the most egregious was Roque getting pull down in front of the Kato net while spinning to shoot. Gotta call that. Kato played pretty well, they didn't get a ton of shots, but they were able to breakout decently and they had very active sticks in passing lanes in the D zone. They are making progress, a stick tap to them.

Now a possibly deflated and/or pizzed OSU plays a possibly deflated and/or pizzed UW. Game 1 is Sr night, game 2 is fill the Kohl, very distracty games with a lot on the line. OSU fighting to stay in the hunt for the ncaa and UW fighting for a top 4 in the ncaa's and the wcha regular season crown. My supreme confidence has been shaken, but Soup will be back. UW can't play loose in transition D like yesterday or Friday against the rodents or OSU will make them pay.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Mankato scored 3 goals on only 11 shots.
        At one point it was 3 goals on only 5 shots.
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
          At one point it was 3 goals on only 5 shots.
          Are you sure Daniel Lebedeff wasn't in goal? (Too soon, Tim?)
          "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Box score indicates Breanna Blesi was in goal for the entire game.

http://www.collegehockeystats.net/19...s/wmnswis1.f08
            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Um yeah. Maybe if the men's team did allow 40+ sog they might be able to win a game 4-3.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                Robert is spot on with his analysis. The first and 3rd are saves you need to make from the distance they were shot and number 2 Blesi thought it was in her pads but it plopped down next to her and UW didn't tie up sticks, bodies or clear it. I'd go 50 50 on that one for responsibility. Blesi's reaction to that goal was to me not how you want your goalie to act. This kind of game certainly makes me wonder if Blesi is ready to carry the load next year. She was solid until this game. I can't recall a softer 3 goals allowed by a UW goalie in a game than these 3.

I saws the first 2 periods, so comments on those 2 periods....Watts missed a wide open net in the first 2 minutes of the second on the backdoor. If she pots that one and gets it to 2-1 and at that point Kato has the doubts creep in. UW's 2nd period was not good again from a SOG standpoint. Down 3-0 in the 2nd you need to next to a next gear. Teams coming back from being down 3 in the 3rd are very rare. Reffing was awful, both teams got screwed, but the most egregious was Roque getting pull down in front of the Kato net while spinning to shoot. Gotta call that. Kato played pretty well, they didn't get a ton of shots, but they were able to breakout decently and they had very active sticks in passing lanes in the D zone. They are making progress, a stick tap to them.

Now a possibly deflated and/or pizzed OSU plays a possibly deflated and/or pizzed UW. Game 1 is Sr night, game 2 is fill the Kohl, very distracty games with a lot on the line. OSU fighting to stay in the hunt for the ncaa and UW fighting for a top 4 in the ncaa's and the wcha regular season crown. My supreme confidence has been shaken, but Soup will be back. UW can't play loose in transition D like yesterday or Friday against the rodents or OSU will make them pay.
                Great assessment. Agree on all points. I will say that the refs also got the 5 min major in the third wrong as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                  Mankato's first shot was taken from above the faceoff circle and beat Blesi clean. A good shot, but one you would expect the goalie to stop. Their second shot was into Blesi's body, and she had just about controlled the puck until it just got away from her, and then was punched in during the scrum in front of her. Three shots, two goals.

The third goal was a two-on-one breakaway when somebody - Roque, maybe - got her skates crossed and fell. Steffen tried to play the pass by laying out, but it got through to the second Mankato player. It would have been a tough save for Blesi; one you hope your goalie can save, but you wouldn't 'expect' it.

Offensively, the Badgers had a ton of really good chances, especially early on, but just couldn't get one to go in. Calla Frank had a lot to do with that, but they must have used up all their 'puck luck' last weekend against St Cloud.

One of those days.
                  Unfortunately for UW goalies the plan seems to be play the starter for every game, which leaves the rest of them with little or no game experience...until the starter gets injured. Praying your starting goalie stays healthy all season may not be the most effective strategy.

Comment

Originally posted by Sieve1 View Post
                    Unfortunately for UW goalies the plan seems to be play the starter for every game, which leaves the rest of them with little or no game experience...until the starter gets injured. Praying your starting goalie stays healthy all season may not be the most effective strategy.
                    It does seem to be the strategy of late, which is strange, given that Johnson rotated goalies most of the time in his first few years, including the first two NCAA Championship teams.
                    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                      It does seem to be the strategy of late, which is strange, given that Johnson rotated goalies most of the time in his first few years, including the first two NCAA Championship teams.
                      It seems that, for many years, UW had such elite goaltending that there was a wide gap between starter and backup. I don't think that dynamic applies now.

Comment

It seems that, for many years, UW had such elite goaltending that there was a wide gap between starter and backup.
                        That's true, but Vetter was as elite as it gets, and she was in rotations her first two years until NCAAs (including a three-goalie rotation her first season). The problem of late may be that the starter plays almost all of the minutes, so of course there will be a drop off to someone w/o any experience.
                        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by Sieve1 View Post
                          I don't think goals 1 and 3 have anything to do with lack of experience, and I'm not sure goal 2 did either.

Personally I don't like a goalie rotation system unless it's a set game 1 goes to x player and game 2 goes to y player. Play the best one and go for it. Otherwise all you are doing is playing head games with the goalie or guessing who will be hot that night.

Comment

We can nitpick the goaltending and it's true that Campbell does probably stop two of those three goals, but the bigger point has to be that you simply have to score more than one goal against MSU.

I don't see putting this loss on Blesi when the only goal scored on offense was too late to matter on a 5-on-3 they didn't deserve.

Watching Sunday's game felt a lot like watching the national championship game against Clarkson in 2017 to me. In both cases it was clear the ice was playing slow and the Badgers had no idea what to do about it. They couldn't play their usual fast game and they couldn't rely on crisp passes as the puck wasn't moving like they wanted it to and then they were just totally lost and it showed.

I'd like to see the team be able to adapt better than that and it's not great that this has happened before and the team still hasn't been prepared for it. There's something to being so far in system that you can't function if the system breaks down and it felt a lot like that's what happened on Sunday. It's like the slow ice threw them off so badly that suddenly they couldn't complete simple passes or hit wide open shots. Everything was just OFF and it was honestly really hard to watch.
                            It's a great day for hockey!

Comment

Originally posted by NMH View Post
                              We can nitpick the goaltending and it's true that Campbell does probably stop two of those three goals, but the bigger point has to be that you simply have to score more than one goal against MSU.

I don't see putting this loss on Blesi when the only goal scored on offense was too late to matter on a 5-on-3 they didn't deserve.

Watching Sunday's game felt a lot like watching the national championship game against Clarkson in 2017 to me. In both cases it was clear the ice was playing slow and the Badgers had no idea what to do about it. They couldn't play their usual fast game and they couldn't rely on crisp passes as the puck wasn't moving like they wanted it to and then they were just totally lost and it showed.

I'd like to see the team be able to adapt better than that and it's not great that this has happened before and the team still hasn't been prepared for it. There's something to being so far in system that you can't function if the system breaks down and it felt a lot like that's what happened on Sunday. It's like the slow ice threw them off so badly that suddenly they couldn't complete simple passes or hit wide open shots. Everything was just OFF and it was honestly really hard to watch.
                              This could help explain what happened to them in Bemidji a few weeks back. That sounds a lot like the ice Minnesota played on up there this week. The Gophers have done a better job of handling it than I'm used to.

Comment

Originally posted by NMH View Post
                                We can nitpick the goaltending and it's true that Campbell does probably stop two of those three goals, but the bigger point has to be that you simply have to score more than one goal against MSU. I don't see putting this loss on Blesi when the only goal scored on offense was too late to matter on a 5-on-3 they didn't deserve.
                                I don't think anyone is pinning the loss on Blesi. If you only score 1 goal you aren't going to win many hockey games. We are seeing what the future holds for UW's goaltending and seeing a window into Blesi as a player. That is the most interesting part of Saturday's game and all the games I have seen her play in.

No matter how bored ARD or Rigsby were, I never saw them have a game like a I saw Saturday. My sample size is a little less than seeing half of their games per season.

It is a troubling trend losing to BSU and MSU and the lack of goal scoring in those 2 games, yet I really do like the top 2 lines.

The final 4 games are VERY tricky for UW. Will the UW puke up another wwcha regular season crown? At any rate the quality opponents will prep them for the tourney games in the future.

Comment

Working...
                                X