Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2019-2020 Season Thread

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    There are only 2 goalies 20-21 and 21-22, zero 22-23 and 1 23-24 and beyond, so it's a sure thing UW is going to be signing some goalies or maybe pick up a transfer.

There is minimal info on the young lady on the web. There is a article on the school's website that calls her a key returning contributor in 2017-2018...pretty old.

If you go to Standstead College's website and look at the stats, it does list her as committed to UW! We have a winner.
    I found this on the young lady, hope it works. Athlete of the Week: Jane Gervais
    11/6/2019

With a gaudy 8-1 record on the year, featuring 4 shutouts, Jane Gervais's consistent work ethic in practice has clearly translated into dominant game-day success.

But it is about more than just the wins for this veteran goaltender, as she has grown over the past three seasons into a true leader. Confident and steadfast, the Grade 12 student from Valcourt, Que. is a positive role model for her younger teammates, and serves as a mentor to the team’s rookie Grade 10 goalie. As the varsity girls hockey team heads into the busiest part of their schedule, culminating in one of the biggest weekends of the year at Shattucks St. Mary’s in Minnesota, there is no doubt that Jane will continue to be heavily relied upon by her teammates and her coaches alike.

Couldn't get the link to work so I copied and pasted, hope that is ok. From the Stanstead sight.

Comment

Originally posted by Connaught Point View Post
      I just wish there was more information out there for women recruiting, Minnesota seems to do a decent job, but here at Wisconsin you don't hear much until they sign.
      Well, there like 2 regular posters and maybe 2 irregular posters, so the demand isn't huge or anything. I follow @whockeycommits on Twitter to get the latest info. There's also www.collegecommitments.com but that site seems to be behind on info. How did you come across Gervais if I may ask?

She hasn't been on any team Canada teams from what I can tell which may indicate she's not highly regarded, but I don't know if ARD or Soup were on team Canada's radar pre UW either, so it's not like she's not a quality player. Team Canada can't have 8 goalies on the roster. She theoretically won't have to play until her Jr year if Blesi and Kronish are healthy and UW has a great goalie coach. Obviously there are more spots to fill in net and I ponder if Blesi or Kronish or even Cece will burn a redshirt on this season.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Long time fan. Someone catch me up. How is Tony Granato's job not on the hottest of seats? Badger Basketball is nothing special this year, maybe two and out, but probably one and done in the tourney. Gard at least, can hang is hat on a very well regarded recruiting class. Does Granato have anything in recruiting to point to, that would save his job? At this point how do you defend keeping on Granato.

Comment

Originally posted by Ice Volcanoes View Post
          Long time fan. Someone catch me up. How is Tony Granato's job not on the hottest of seats? Badger Basketball is nothing special this year, maybe two and out, but probably one and done in the tourney. Gard at least, can hang is hat on a very well regarded recruiting class. Does Granato have anything in recruiting to point to, that would save his job? At this point how do you defend keeping on Granato.
          You're on the forum for women's hockey and the UW women's team.

I am sure you can find many ready to discuss Tony Granato with you on the men's forum; I know that the 2019 recruiting class was HIGHLY regarded, but have failed to 'gel as of yet. But I'm in no position to speak in any informed way beyond that.

Comment

Originally posted by Ice Volcanoes View Post
            Definitely go over to the men's thread and read up on how we feel. I think 90% of the regular posters are fed up with TG.

Comment

Definitely go over to the men's thread and read up on how we feel. I think 90% of the regular posters are fed up with TG.
              Poster, I suppose, could have moved the needle off of "17"...

You could have at least invited the poster to check out the women's program.
              At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                Poster, I suppose, could have moved the needle off of "17"...
                I just checked, and there have actually been 34 unique posters in this thread alone. All of this time, we've been underestimating the clout that women's hockey posters have.

It is fitting that the new poster showed up to demand the firing of a coach, because I could swear that's the subject of about half of what I read on this forum.
                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                  It is fitting that the new poster showed up to demand the firing of a coach, because I could swear that's the subject of about half of what I read on this forum.
                  In keeping with the half...Fire Mark Johnson.

Wait...On second thought. Fire Tony Granato and then hire Mark Johnson to replace him.
                  Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 01-29-2020, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Wait...On second thought. Fire Tony Granato and then hire Mark Johnson to replace him.
                    I love this plan.
                    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                      I love this plan.
                      In all seriousness, Johnson probably should have been Eaves replacement...

Comment

It is my understand, based on long ago news articles, etc., that Johnson was Eaves competition to follow Jeff Sauer. By the time Eaves was let go, Johnson was fully engaged with the women's team specifically and the women's game nationally, and wasn't all that interested in making a change. The one 'rumor' that seemed to have some possibility was for Penn State to drive up with a semi full of money to take the job at the newly formed men's team. And obviously, that didn't happen.

But no first hand knowledge in any of that.

Comment

IDK, I think what he's doing for the women does not translate to the men's side on the recruiting front. He'd have to work 100 times harder to recruit for the men's team, the talent pool is under way more pressure on the men's vs the women's. Right now MJ and Frosty can have any player they want, the pick of the litter. Obviously from an X's and O's standpoint MJ is totally capable to coach at any level. I've always found it interesting that a man who was a scoring machine is very much dedicated to D first mentality as a coach.

No one could have predicted that a mediocre NHL coach would have been a bad college coach. The wheels really fell off when Donny G left, I think he was the brains behind the operation.

Comment

Well, then I vote for Frosty replacing Johnson. Frosty wants to escape the dark side.

Comment

Well, then I vote for Frosty replacing Johnson. Frosty wants to escape the dark side.
                              You could do worse than going from MJ to JJ...

A couple of next year's freshmen have had success with him.

The Muzzinator might be the best choice, however.
                              Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 01-29-2020, 02:39 PM.

Comment

This is an interesting question. Johnson is generally recognized as either the best coach in women's college hockey, or at a minimum, the equal of anyone else. Eventually, he will likely tire of some aspect of the job -- the travel, the stupid questions from the media, listening to incessant "sieve" chants -- and retire or decide to do something else. When that day comes, who would Badgers fans like to see succeed him? Dan Koch, who has been heir apparent for the job for quite some time now, or the coach of some other team?

I'm sure that Koch would continue much of what Johnson does, but he'll never have the recruiting advantage of being "a 1980 gold medalist and a former NHL player." If Matt Desrosiers can win three NCAA titles for the fighting nurses, what could he do in Madison? Jim Scanlan has managed an almost .500 record with the kind of recruits one can attract to Bemidji while playing a WCHA schedule, but I'm not sure he would be able to recruit at the level to which the Badgers are accustomed. Who would be your pick?
                                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Working...
                                X