Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2019-2020 Season Thread

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    ...getting sucked into "the pairwise vortex of angst".
    Oh no, anything but THAT!
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

When Roque came in, I didn't know what to expect since she played against boys in HS. It became apparent she was very talented and maybe a little too strong on her skates as other plays seem to fall down when they bumped into her.
      or maybe she has learned which players to pick on, and which to avoid (thinking freshman year and K Robinson)

one of the dirtiest players in the league, and got caught on Saturday, example, earlier at Ridder while she is skating off before a face off, she trips S Potomak coming on the ice with her stick, tough is when you go head to head, dirty and Chickenpoop is when you nail somebody that is vulnerable or not expecting it

Comment

OT win!

Comment

I can't recall a Badger goal that was more pure single player effort that Roque's goal today. Essentially one-on-three plus goalie, she got through the traffic and around the goal for a wrap-around try, and then put the rebound in, all by herself.

There are a number of Badger players over the years that, when you mention their name, a particular goal or sequence ending in a goal comes to my mind. Today's might very well end up being that goal for Abby Roque. It was an outstanding effort.

Comment

• Originally posted by robertearle View Post
            I can't recall a Badger goal that was more pure single player effort that Roque's goal today. Essentially one-on-three plus goalie, she got through the traffic and around the goal for a wrap-around try, and then put the rebound in, all by herself.

There are a number of Badger players over the years that, when you mention their name, a particular goal or sequence ending in a goal comes to my mind. Today's might very well end up being that goal for Abby Roque. It was an outstanding effort.
            It was as if she decided she’d had enough and it was time to put the puck in the **** net. It is fun to watch great players rise to the occasion like that.

Comment

That was a very fun game to be at. Almost the entirety of my daughter's PeeWee team was there and they all had a blast.

Great to see an OT win.
              Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Originally posted by Offsides Guy View Post
                It was as if she decided she’d had enough and it was time to put the puck in the **** net. It is fun to watch great players rise to the occasion like that.
                I agree and I asked her about that after the game. She said the play before she should have made a better pass to Sophie Shirley and that after it happened, she felt like she'd ruined what was likely a goal and felt she needed to do something to make up for that.

Admittedly, I was hoping for a bit more from her.

IMO, Pankowski used to get that "eff this, I'm not letting it end this way" attitude - I specifically think of the OT wins against Harvard last season. It's not particularly Abby's MO, but I think we've seen it once or twice from her at other points this season and I agree it's exactly how that play went today.

Abby has a pretty diverse skill set and one we don't talk a lot about is how well she sees the ice. On this play, she saw the defense let up a bit since UW went for the change and they gave her a lot of space, so she took it. She wasn't thinking shot to begin with, but she had a path to the goal, so she took it. And then she saw the rebounds, so she took them. She said Braendli didn't appear to think she'd get that last rebound/take that third shot. Abby saw the space above the blocker and placed the shot.

Edited: I mistakenly said Abby shot instead of passing to Shirley, when it was just a poor shot, so I fixed that.
                Last edited by NMH; 02-16-2020, 09:28 PM.
                It's a great day for hockey!

Comment

• Originally posted by NMH View Post
                  I agree and I asked her about that after the game. She said the play before she took a shot when she should have passed to Sophie Shirley and that after it happened, she felt like she'd ruined what was likely a goal and felt she needed to do something to make up for that.

Admittedly, I was hoping for a bit more from her.

IMO, Pankowski used to get that "eff this, I'm not letting it end this way" attitude - I specifically think of the OT wins against Harvard last season. It's not particularly Abby's MO, but I think we've seen it once or twice from her at other points this season and I agree it's exactly how that play went today.

Abby has a pretty diverse skill set and one we don't talk a lot about is how well she sees the ice. On this play, she saw the defense let up a bit since UW went for the change and they gave her a lot of space, so she took it. She wasn't thinking shot to begin with, but she had a path to the goal, so she took it. And then she saw the rebounds, so she took them. She said Braendli didn't appear to think she'd get that last rebound/take that third shot. Abby saw the space above the blocker and placed the shot.
                  Excellent analysis. So many players keep sliding away from the net after they make that first shot. Coaches would do well to show their teams that goal as a reminder that your shot doesn’t mean the end of your effort or the play. Always stay engaged in the play looking for your own rebound. A relatively simple thing but so few do it.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                    Oh no, anything but THAT!
                    Being at the game it was pairwise nightmare. OSU scores, UW doesn't in the first period. 2nd period, UW get a penalty shot and a 5 on 3 and don't score. Into the 3rd period with no score. I'm thinking they are going to lose 3 in a row, struggle @ UMD, drop to 5th in the pairwise and get shut out in the ncaa's on the road. Then Roque scores and it was hang on to your seat. Get thru OT, at least got a critical point in the tie and not a loss for the pairwise. Curl scoring on the 3 on 3 gets another critical league point. Whew.

That being said, UW had scored only 1 even strength goal in their last 8 or so periods, bad bad bad. The PP is trying to be too perfect. Pass pass shoot. S Shirley and Watts need to burn all their sticks and dye their hair orange to change the scoring juju, they are as snake bit as I have ever seen UW players. It's time to put the superline back together.
                    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

That being said, UW had scored only 1 even strength goal in their last 8 or so periods, bad bad bad. The PP is trying to be too perfect. Pass pass shoot. S Shirley and Watts need to burn all their sticks and dye their hair orange to change the scoring juju, they are as snake bit as I have ever seen UW players. It's time to put the superline back together.
                      They aren't snakebit so much as they just don't generate quality chances commensurate with their dominant puck possession. Yesterday, a part of the problem was that Brändli was tremendous in goal, but a lot of it is still on Wisconsin. If an opponent plays good defense, and especially if they collapse to their own net, the Badgers don't have good answers. Roque was the only one who looked ready to score, though she was as much a negative as a positive this weekend.

I don't know about reuniting the Roque/Watts/Shirley line. Johnson did that some on Sunday, and it didn't make a whole lot of difference. Other than a couple of plays in the third period on Sunday, when OSU was clearly running out of gas, Watts was a total non-factor this weekend. There were several occasions where she was coming through the neutral zone and I thought she was going to be able to get to the net, but a Buckeye defender caught her. Take out the St. Cloud series, and she has two goals (one an empty netter) and six assists in her last nine games. Wisconsin needs more production than that out of her, but putting her back with Roque seems like an admission that the Badgers are only going to have one line that's a serious threat to score.

Over the second half of the season, it seems Wisconsin can play offense or they can play defense, but they struggle to do both in the same game.

Comment

Couldn't agree more about trying to be too fine on their scoring opportunities. The PP yesterday seemed like they were always trying to get opportunities for the perfect pass and shot combination when plenty of good chances were there. The 5 on 3 was particularly frustrating in that vein.

Still, you can see this is a very high quality team and should cause fear for everyone they would play in the post season.
                        Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
                          Johnson did that some on Sunday, and it didn't make a whole lot of difference.

I'm not sure there's a line combination he DIDN'T try on Sunday.
                          It's a great day for hockey!

Comment

Originally posted by NMH View Post
                            He did flip Norby and Mauermann to start the game.

In the OT after the OSU T/O he did send Watts out with SS and Roque and they almost scored.
                            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by NMH View Post
                              I noticed Posick on the ice at least once; I assume that means the other "fours" were out as well. I'm happy they got the experience of being out on the KC ice, at least that one time.

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post
                                Couldn't agree more about trying to be too fine on their scoring opportunities. The PP yesterday seemed like they were always trying to get opportunities for the perfect pass and shot combination when plenty of good chances were there. The 5 on 3 was particularly frustrating in that vein.
                                I disagree with this in its entirety. Good chances that the Badgers didn't take weren't there. All of the puck movement didn't produce quality looks at the net. Some of that is great defense by Ohio State, but a lot of it is on Wisconsin.

Look at the numbers. Wisconsin's problem on offense isn't that they aren't taking shots. It's that, of their last 112 shots, only three have gone in, and only one at even strength. What they need is some combination of better shooting and creating better chances, mostly the latter. There's a reason why Roque is scoring a high percentage of the goals lately: she's the only one who consistently drives to the net. Mauermann likes to get in there and mix it up after the whistle is blown, but that doesn't really help you score.

Right now, the Badgers look like they did three years ago, when they just weren't a good offensive team. They aren't especially scary at the moment, though I don't think that anyone else is, either.

Comment

Working...
                                X