Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Badgers 2019-2020 Season Thread

Originally posted by ARM View Post
    That would be a bad trade for the USA. I knew you were Canadian at heart!
    It's a looking ahead thing, Kessel is old and injury prone, those 2 are younger and not injury prone. I do like Canada a lot, but it's 3rd on my favorite countries list behind the good old USA and Deutschland (of course the world war starting thing for Deutschland was bad bad bad, but all countries have their historical warts).
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

U18's are coming up. Here's the UW recruits on the rosters:

2021: Webster F US, Wheeler F Canada. Why isn't O'Brien on the US team? Her and Webster together are Gold Jerry, GOLD! Is she too old (2001)?
      2022: Picard F Canada, Harvey D US.
      2023: Simms F US. Pretty impressive for Simms to be on the roster.

Still some holes to fill for the future, only 2 goalies on the roster for 20/21 and 21/22 and none for 22/23. Also only 5 D and 10 F for 21/22 and it's an Olympic year, they could lose some players to that as well (Curl, SS), hence needing more depth.

Comment

Brianna is injured. IIRC, it's a leg injury, but it's not recent and we don't have a lot of info. She hasn't been doing any of the PWHPA stuff, but she is listed as a captain for the upcoming Philly stop, so maybe she's ready to get back on the ice.

Buchbinder didn't dress for the first game in the Rivalry Series, but was in the lineup for Tuesday's game. As a D, I don't think you want your name said very much. She had a good series of blocks - alongside Abby, coincidentally - right in front of Frankel when she was peppered for a bit, but that's all I remember seeing her.

That Tuesday broadcast was basically all Badgers, all the time. Not only did the announcers spend a bunch of time talking about the various Badgers as talking points, but the UW girls on both rosters were highly involved in the game. It felt like 80% of the time the PBP guy said a name, it was a Badger. It was a good showing for the university. Abby also did an NHLN interview after the first game and the package they did had a bunch of UW highlights and she spoke about Britta and playing for Mark. Overall, it's been a good "commercial" for the program.
        It's a great day for hockey!

Comment

Nicole, thanks for the info on Decker. I agree that the rivalry series was an excellent commercial for the UW program. As I said on Twitter, 3 of the biggest plays of the night involved college players. I think there is a couple things to glean from that - 1- the post college players all need more ice time and stability (nothing new there) but 2- it would make so much sense to get women’s college hockey on tv regularly, regionally across the country. I would really like to see Johnson, Frost, Muzerall and Kampersal lean on their AD’s to make some of that happen. Those programs are probably in a position better than most to try and push women’s hockey onto tv.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
            U18's are coming up. Here's the UW recruits on the rosters:

2021: Webster F US, Wheeler F Canada. Why isn't O'Brien on the US team? Her and Webster together are Gold Jerry, GOLD! Is she too old (2001)?
            2022: Picard F Canada, Harvey D US.
            2023: Simms F US. Pretty impressive for Simms to be on the roster.

Still some holes to fill for the future, only 2 goalies on the roster for 20/21 and 21/22 and none for 22/23. Also only 5 D and 10 F for 21/22 and it's an Olympic year, they could lose some players to that as well (Curl, SS), hence needing more depth.
            O’Brien might be too old but I believe she is injured. Heard Simms got called up due to another player being injured. Also FWIW I think your grad years are a year behind- Webster is a 2020, Harvey is a 2021 & Simms is 2022. Not to be picky 😉

Comment

Originally posted by Sieve1 View Post
              O’Brien might be too old but I believe she is injured. Heard Simms got called up due to another player being injured. Also FWIW I think your grad years are a year behind- Webster is a 2020, Harvey is a 2021 & Simms is 2022. Not to be picky 😉
              Yes, you is right, I misread the chart. I'm so jacked to see Webster, O'Brien and Watts on the same line. The WOW line.

Badger VB going for the title! I just feel like this team is so locked in like last year's women's hockey team was, though the path to VB Valhalla is way harder than the one to Hockey Heaven.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                Badger VB going for the title! I just feel like this team is so locked in like last year's women's hockey team was, though the path to VB Valhalla is way harder than the one to Hockey Heaven.
                Similar in one way: in the 40 years or whatever they've been playing this championship. only ten teams have even won it, and the last to 'join the club' was Washington in 2005. Stanford, of course, has won eight times (IIRC), including two of the last three. Wisconsin needs something of a 'Clarkson breakthrough'.

Much like vs Baylor - serve tough, get their setter 'moving' to limit Plummer's effectiveness, and UW will have a chance.
                Last edited by robertearle; 12-21-2019, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                  Similar in one way: in the 40 years or whatever they've been playing this championship. only ten teams have even won it, and the last to 'join the club' was Washington in 2005. Stanford, of course, has won eight times (IIRC), including two of the last three. Wisconsin needs something of a 'Clarkson breakthrough'.

Much like vs Baylor - serve tough, get their setter 'moving' to limit Plummer's effectiveness, and UW will have a chance.
                  I had no idea a small amount of teams owned VB, very much like hockey. I'll pretend didn't see the Clarkson reference so we can still be ok with each other. Let's go RED!

Comment

• Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                    I had no idea a small amount of teams owned VB, very much like hockey. I'll pretend didn't see the Clarkson reference so we can still be ok with each other. Let's go RED!
                    I didn’t know you were a Clarkson fan, Tim.
                    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

UW served well enough, but Stanford's serve-receive was better. And Plummer was just unstoppable; even when UW got them scrambling a bit, they just popped it up to her and she'd get the kill. Stanford is really, really good. Dang it!

Comment

UW served well enough, but Stanford's serve-receive was better. And Plummer was just unstoppable; even when UW got them scrambling a bit, they just popped it up to her and she'd get the kill. Stanford is really, really good. Dang it!
                        For the respect of the B1G I was pulling for the Badgers, them being a member of the conference, but it was not to be. Nevertheless, I have a sneaking suspicion that either of us could have totally wiped out Stanford in the sport of "Ice Hockey".
                        Last edited by D2D; 12-21-2019, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                          For the respect of the B1G I was pulling for the Badgers, them being a member of the conference, but it was not to be. Nevertheless, I have a sneaking suspicion that either of us could have totally wiped out Stanford in the sport of "Ice Hockey".
                          That's probably be the only one.

There is an "Athletic Director's Trophy" for the school that does the best overall - men's and women's - in all sports combined, scored on a 'points' system, and Stanford has won it the last 25 (!) years in a row. They regularly win three, four, five, and more NCAA team championships every year.

So far in 2019 (spring and fall), they have won men's golf, gymnastics, and water polo; and women's soccer, swimming, tennis, water polo, and now volleyball.

Comment

That was a tough one. Sigh.

Comment

That's probably be the only one.

There is an "Athletic Director's Trophy" for the school that does the best overall - men's and women's - in all sports combined, scored on a 'points' system, and Stanford has won it the last 25 (!) years in a row. They regularly win three, four, five, and more NCAA team championships every year.

So far in 2019 (spring and fall), they have won men's golf, gymnastics, and water polo; and women's soccer, swimming, tennis, water polo, and now volleyball.
                              No wonder why all those Hollywood stars will do almost anything to have their kids play a sport there!

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                                No wonder why all those Hollywood stars will do anything to have their kids play a sport there!
                                Good point and I fixed your post.

Comment

Working...
                                X