No announcement yet.

WCHA 2019-20 season: We Can Do Better Than Two Bids and a First Round Exit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WCHA 2019-20 season: We Can Do Better Than Two Bids and a First Round Exit

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
    If Beaver fans have to put up with the same old Beaver jokes year in and year out, Mankato fans can put up with "Coach" jokes.
    That's a good point, except that "Coach" went off the air so long ago that there's an entire new generation of college hockey fans who would have no idea what they're talking about.
    My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
      That's a good point, except that "Coach" went off the air so long ago that there's an entire new generation of college hockey fans who would have no idea what they're talking about.
      That is true, except the old timers never forget something like that. (aka my Mankato State alumni dad who brings it up every time I tell him Tech is playing Minnesota State.)

Coach is still going strong on the "ME TV" type stations. It was on last night while I was channel surfing.

Comment

so as a long time (35 year old) Minnesota state, Mankato state, Minnesota University at Mankato, STD's at Mankato state and purple cow state fan I sit here wondering about what the (coach) jokes are about. I remember the show but I did not really watch it at all. Can someone please help gap this generational divide for us young purple cow calves ?

Comment

Coach was a popular ABC sitcom that ran from 1989 to 1997. It was about the head coach of a fictional upper-midwest University: the "Minnesota State University's Screaming Eagles," and shared the same purple and gold color scheme as the Mavericks. He was surrounded by no-so-talented players, washed up assistant coaches, and a wife who wasn't thrilled about football.

So, not sure how you missed this program if you're such a long time Mankato fan... unless Mankato didn't get television until 1998?
          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Also, how has there not been a reference to "Land Cows" yet, or did that forum bit die when the NCHC started?

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
              Coach was a popular ABC sitcom that ran from 1989 to 1997. It was about the head coach of a fictional upper-midwest University: the "Minnesota State University's Screaming Eagles," and shared the same purple and gold color scheme as the Mavericks. He was surrounded by no-so-talented players, washed up assistant coaches, and a wife who wasn't thrilled about football.

So, not sure how you missed this program if you're such a long time Mankato fan... unless Mankato didn't get television until 1998?
              Don't confuse them with Bemidji.

Wait, sorry, it was indoor plumbing that came into town that year. TV showed up in 1992.

If Mankato is the cow town, is Bemidji the beaver town or the ox town?

GFM
              Geof F. Morris
              UAH BSE MAE 2002
              UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                Don't confuse them with Bemidji.

Wait, sorry, it was indoor plumbing that came into town that year. TV showed up in 1992.

If Mankato is the cow town, is Bemidji the beaver town or the ox town?

GFM
                Only big, blue ones.

Comment

Originally posted by BGFan View Post
                  Only big, blue ones.
                  Blue's a way better color than orange or brown.

GFM
                  Geof F. Morris
                  UAH BSE MAE 2002
                  UAHHockey.com

Comment

GFM
                    "Cotton candy
                    Sweetie go
                    Let me see that Tootsee Roll"

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

GFM
                      Gotta embrace what we got. Some years ago a poster said BG's away uni's looked like Tootie Roll wrappers, and it was true. I do prefer them to the current browns. Edit: Imagine this reply is to aparch and is worded differently.
                      Go Falcons!

Comment

Maybe because at the time Coach was on, there was no apparent connection? The "Minnesota State Screaming Eagles" were a Division I football program. They went off the air while Mankato was still Mankato State, and were (and still are) Division II in football. (I guess there had been a move to convert MSU to Minnesota State back some time in the 60's, but that was long before I had ever even heard of Mankato, much less lived here.)

It was a good show, though. Jerry Van Dyke as Luther was great. And I'm so old that I remember when Shelley Fabares (who played coach's wife) was the eldest daughter on the Donna Reed Show.
                        Last edited by MavsFan; 09-21-2019, 12:42 AM.
                        My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Found a potential eighth member of the Not So Good Sam Club... Eastern Illinois.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Found a potential eighth member of the Not So Good Sam Club... Eastern Illinois.
                            The guy went to college one semester. I think he would be more likely to establish an African big game wildlife park in the eastern Illinois plains before he funded college hockey.
                            Last edited by Lost_Husky; 09-26-2019, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
                              The guy when to college one semester. I think he would be more likely to establish an African big game wildlife park in the eastern Illinois plains before he funded college hockey.
                              This is correct. IIRC, he is a yuuuge Trump guy.

Comment

There are some of us posters on this board who *still* Don't know which name they're using is.

Mankato State?
                                Minnesota State?
                                Minnesota State University, Mankato?
                                Minnesota State University - Mankato?
                                Minnesota State Mankato?
                                Mankato Normal School?

Ahh fu** it.

Second State Normal School from here on out.
                                As long as they keep dominating the league, any of those suffice
                                AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Working...
                                X