• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    Y’all leaving us to die and wondering why we’d be upset,

You mean your elected officials are leaving your programs to die*
    Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

Comment

Re: WCHA 2019-20 season: We Can Do Better Than Two Bids and a First Round Exit

1. Minnesota State
      2. Bowling Green
      3. Lake State
      4. Michigan Tech
      5. Bemidji State
      6. Northern Michigan
      7. Ferris State
      8. Alaska
      9. Alabama Huntsville
      10. Alaska Anchorage
      AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
        1. Minnesota State
        2. Bowling Green
        3. Lake State
        4. Michigan Tech
        5. Bemidji State
        6. Northern Michigan
        7. Ferris State
        8. Alaska
        9. Alabama Huntsville
        10. Alaska Anchorage
        Would have to think Mankato advances to at least the second round this year, and maybe even Detroit. They have to be one of the most experienced teams this upcoming season.

Comment

Originally posted by Laker Dude View Post
          Would have to think Mankato advances to at least the second round this year, and maybe even Detroit. They have to be one of the most experienced teams this upcoming season.
          First win is always the hardest...just ask the Huskies
          "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
          -Gallagher

R.I.P.
          Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
          Grandma ~ Jan 2004
          Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
          Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

I hope you're right. It would be hard to be more experienced, as the Mavs only lost one player who got significant ice time last season.

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
            Apparently.
            My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
              @*@&$^%@^#&$&%&#^# 2010.
              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                @*@&$^%@^#&$&%&#^# 2010.
                I haven't figured out how Minnesota schools get the local municipality to pay for their facilities. Schools in Michigan would love that but it ain't happening.
                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                  I haven't figured out how Minnesota schools get the local municipality to pay for their facilities. Schools in Michigan would love that but it ain't happening.
                  A lot of them get paid for with a local sales tax of some sort, whether it is a straight sales tax, food and beverage tax or lodging tax. It first has to go to the legislature for the okay to be on the local ballot, and then the local population has to vote in favor of it. Very few are just straight bonding/funding anymore.
                  Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                  FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                  NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                  NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                  NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                  NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                  Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                  Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
                    A lot of them get paid for with a local sales tax of some sort, whether it is a straight sales tax, food and beverage tax or lodging tax. It first has to go to the legislature for the okay to be on the local ballot, and then the local population has to vote in favor of it. Very few are just straight bonding/funding anymore.
                    I dont' know if it's still this way or not, but MSU had a very bad lease agreement for a while as well. I was told it was such a big disadvantage that it was hard to compete for a long time.
                    Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

Enough results from our standings survey are in where we can draw some conclusions (37 responses). No surprise, the group consensus is that the league standings are bookended by the Mavs and Seawolves. BG is solidly picked for second place. The 'Cats and Huskies are battling it out for the final two home playoff spots with the Lakers and Beavers close behind. There's a 3-for-2 battle between the Nanooks, 'Dawgs, and Chargers for the final playoff spots. The chart below shows the average finishing standings with standard deviation error bars for each team (Mavs finish first, BG finishes second or third, 'Cats finish second through sixth, etc.).

As for the player(s) we're most glad to see move on, last year's NCAA D1 leader in penalty minutes, Lukas Craggs, finishes a distant third behind Northern's Atte Tolvenan and Troy Loggins. Good riddance!

Projected WCHA Standings

Comment

This will be their most talented team ever on paper, no question. Maybe it’s just my gut feeling, but when they do finally win that first one, I think they’ll at least make the Frozen Four.

I’ll believe it when I see it, though. They had a 3 goal lead last year and blew it with a very, very talented team. Flukey bounce went against them against UMD the year before, UMD proceeds to win it all.

It’s more mental than anything right now — will be fun to see it all u fold again this year.
                        AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
                          Wasn't there a "Mighty Ducks" bill that funded local ice rink construction?
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                            Wasn't there a "Mighty Ducks" bill that funded local ice rink construction?
                            There was. If I recall correctly, it was for youth rinks in smaller towns, but I may be wrong so please correct me if I am.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                              There was. If I recall correctly, it was for youth rinks in smaller towns, but I may be wrong so please correct me if I am.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
                              That is correct. It lokks like it ran from '95 to 2000 and would supply up to $200,000 for new rink construction and up to $50,000 for renovations. It was for smaller local rinks and not City Event Centers.
                              Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                              FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                              NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                              NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                              NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                              NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                              Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                              Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

I have no idea about the incoming classes, this ranking is based on a 10-minute review of departing seniors. Minnesota looks mighty, Lakers and NMU lost some serious firepower, Alaska might surprise.

1. Minnesota
                                2. Bowling
                                3. Bemidji
                                4. Alaska
                                5. Mich.Tech
                                6. Lakers
                                7. Northern Michigan
                                8. Ferris
                                9. Alabama
                                10. Anchorage

P.S. My predictive powers are generously described as 'flawed' and 'useless' within my family. So, buyer beware.

Comment

Working...
                                X