WCHA 2019-20 season: We Can Do Better Than Two Bids and a First Round Exit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
    AHL offers rewind capability during games, export clips capability, and choice of home or away audio overlay. And each feed has a common graphics package (albeit limited) to keep continuity across the league.

Also, the AHL offers a sh**ton of options for various pricing. Every team, all season, including playoffs for $100, all teams no playoffs $80, one team all games $60, one team either home or away $40, all teams one month only $20, all teams one day only $8.
    How many AHL markets are the size of Fairbanks, Bemidji, Houghton, Marquette, the Soo or Big Rapids? The WCHA’s biggest markets are Huntsville & Anchorage? Bowling Green is a decent sized market if you include Toledo and Mankato is decent sized. The AHL has a much bigger subscriber base to spread the cost over.
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Re: WCHA 2019-20 season: We Can Do Better Than Two Bids and a First Round Exit

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
      Three open questions:

1. Will the topic title of this thread hold true? Bemidji's strong run to the end of the season (I hate everything) gives the WCHA a chance; a better one would happen if Bemidji beat Mankato in the title game. A first-round loss for either Minnesota school puts their at-large bid hopes in doubt.
      2. Will Bob Daniels retire?
      3. Will Mike Corbett be let go?

GFM
      1) I put it at 15% chance that the WCHA gets 3 teams, 80% they get 2 teams, 5% they only get one. MSU is locked in to the tournament, getting swept by UAA isn't knocking them out. I think BSU is 100% in if they get past LSSU and don't get swept in the semi-finals. CHN puts them at 86% right now.
      2) From everything I hear, not yet
      3) Seems like he should be...
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Re: WCHA 2019-20 season: We Can Do Better Than Two Bids and a First Round Exit

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
        How many AHL markets are the size of Fairbanks, Bemidji, Houghton, Marquette, the Soo or Big Rapids? The WCHA’s biggest markets are Huntsville & Anchorage? Bowling Green is a decent sized market if you include Toledo and Mankato is decent sized. The AHL has a much bigger subscriber base to spread the cost over.
        sure but we're not talking about locals, we're talking about alumni...which granted is still smaller. I can't imagine there are that many fans that are displaced from an AHL team that want to watch.
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

We're just fine if you don't include us with Toledo.

Comment

I don't know if I'd use markets to compare subscriber base. If anything, interested people who live in WCHA markets are probably more likely to balk at the cost of FloSports since they are already paying to go to home games, and $150 is a lot to pay for just the road games.

Also, if we're going to talk about markets, I think people sometimes forget that the Soo is actually on the bigger side of WCHA markets due to the larger Canadian Soo. There were times when the Lakers could average over 4,000 fans per game, and that wasn't coming from just the American side.

Comment

Originally posted by lakersparty View Post
              I don't know if I'd use markets to compare subscriber base. If anything, interested people who live in WCHA markets are probably more likely to balk at the cost of FloSports since they are already paying to go to home games, and $150 is a lot to pay for just the road games.

Also, if we're going to talk about markets, I think people sometimes forget that the Soo is actually on the bigger side of WCHA markets due to the larger Canadian Soo. There were times when the Lakers could average over 4,000 fans per game, and that wasn't coming from just the American side.
              And Tech doesn't draw from just Houghton. They pull fans from across the bridge too.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                And Tech doesn't draw from just Houghton. They pull fans from across the bridge too.

Hence the difference between “market” and “city.” The Houghton market would include Hancock, Calumet and Schmidt’s Corner, among others.
                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Hence the difference between “market” and “city.” The Houghton market would include Hancock, Calumet and Schmidt’s Corner, among others.
                  Even Johnny B from Pelkie?

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
                    I played with the Pairwise predictor over on another site, and if BSU loses to Lake Superior State in the first round, independent of any results for the rest of the year, they would be on the outside looking in.

And that would make Geof happy again!
                    Yep. It still wouldn't change that I strongly suspect which two schools, whose state has a reputation for being nice, are against our school's inclusion in the nCCHA.

GFM
                    Geof F. Morris
                    UAH BSE MAE 2002
                    UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                      Even Johnny B from Pelkie?

😂 and the guy from the Mosquito Inn

Comment

Originally posted by lakersparty View Post
                        Yeah, I have season tickets for the home games. $150 is more than I pay for NHLTV.
                        My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                            Thoughts?
                            I'm ok with it. I don't think he was targeting the ref.
                            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                              Thoughts?
                              Incidental contact with an official happens occasionally. In my opinion, this was not incidental. A player of that calibre has the ability, and the obligation, to avoid contact with the official. Not only did he not avoid contact, or even "let up" prior to contact, he altered his course toward the referee and lowered his body before delivering the hit. The way I look at it is that if the referee was an opponent it would be interference.

If a player in that type of situation is expected to avoid contact with an opponent, they should be expected to avoid contact with an official too. *******https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...211b22f7ce.jpg

Last edited by MTUHuskies; 03-05-2020, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                                Incidental contact with an official happens occasionally. In my opinion, this was not incidental. A player of that calibre has the ability, and the obligation, to avoid contact with the official. Not only did he not avoid contact, or even "let up" prior to contact, he altered his course toward the referee and lowered his body before delivering the hit. The way I look at it is that if the referee was an opponent it would be interference.

If a player in that type of situation is expected to avoid contact with an opponent, they should be expected to avoid contact with an official too. *******https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...ce.jpg********

There is no question he's a terrible sportsman.
                                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Working...
                                X