No announcement yet.

WCHA 2019-20 season: We Can Do Better Than Two Bids and a First Round Exit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WCHA 2019-20 season: We Can Do Better Than Two Bids and a First Round Exit

According to this week's WCHA Press Release, Mankato and Bemidji have locked up spots in the WCHA playoffs.

http://www.wcha.com/men/articles/202...n-heats-up.php
    Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
    FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
    NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
    NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
    NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
    NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
    Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
    Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

• Re: WCHA 2019-20 season: We Can Do Better Than Two Bids and a First Round Exit

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
      According to this week's WCHA Press Release, Mankato and Bemidji have locked up spots in the WCHA playoffs.

http://www.wcha.com/men/articles/202...n-heats-up.php
      Yeah looks like MSU has already locked up top 6, and BSU top 7.
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Here is a theoretical question. Let's say it's two years from now and we have some new league that some of us are in. Let's say further Alaska has these financial problems straight, ( well I can dream) and they now only have 1 school playing hockey, Fairbanks. And let's say They petition the new league for acceptance. What happens then?
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
          Here is a theoretical question. Let's say it's two years from now and we have some new league that some of us are in. Let's say further Alaska has these financial problems straight, ( well I can dream) and they now only have 1 school playing hockey, Fairbanks. And let's say They petition the new league for acceptance. What happens then?
          who the hell knows but 1 team seems to make a huge difference but that depends on what else happens. Has St. Thomas filled that role? has a school like Simon Fraser added hockey? Maybe some eastern D3 schools add hockey and join up with Simon Fraser, UAH, UAA and UAF in a east/west league? idk
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I don't like to see teams get pushed out and left dying on the vine (John MacInnes' ghost won't sleep well) but I don't see the Severed Seven taking in UA* without major changes. It would blow up their whole idea of blowing up the WCHA to get away from those three.

Unless, of course, it was their intention all along to push UA* to give their teams the resources and support necessary to compete at a level above 45-60 in the NCAA. And also the opportunity to get away from the current WCHA administration.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
              And also the opportunity to get away from the current WCHA administration.
              You found the real reason.

Comment

I don't like to see teams get pushed out and left dying on the vine (John MacInnes' ghost won't sleep well) but I don't see the Severed Seven taking in UA* without major changes. It would blow up their whole idea of blowing up the WCHA to get away from those three.

Unless, of course, it was their intention all along to push UA* to give their teams the resources and support necessary to compete at a level above 45-60 in the NCAA. And also the opportunity to get away from the current WCHA administration.

With the news that Arizona State breaking ground on their arena soon, I have a feeling the Separating Seven will be gunning for them, but if AS joins up with the NCHC, B1G, whatever, then I think we see the Seven grab either an Alaska school or Alabama to come up with an 8 team league.
                LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Deman View Post
                  With the news that Arizona State breaking ground on their arena soon, I have a feeling the Separating Seven will be gunning for them, but if AS joins up with the NCHC, B1G, whatever, then I think we see the Seven grab either an Alaska school or Alabama to come up with an 8 team league.
                  There is still St. Thomas floating out there. MnSU and BSU would be more than happy to get another in-state team to play. The Mag 7 league would be more than happy to get a foothold in the Twin Cities and have a team with their geographic footprint.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
                    There is still St. Thomas floating out there. MnSU and BSU would be more than happy to get another in-state team to play. The Mag 7 league would be more than happy to get a foothold in the Twin Cities and have a team with their geographic footprint.
                    St. Thomas makes the most sense, which is why the NCAA probably won't let them go directly to DI.

Any recent news on that? I thought they were supposed meet in January?

Comment

St. Thomas makes the most sense, which is why the NCAA probably won't let them go directly to DI.

Any recent news on that? I thought they were supposed meet in January?

that has no bearing on Hockey because NCAA doesn't offer a D2 hockey championship.
                      I also think the WCHA will be completely happy to start with 7...balanced 24 game schedule and 8+ NC opportunities.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                        that has no bearing on Hockey because NCAA doesn't offer a D2 hockey championship.
                        I also think the WCHA will be completely happy to start with 7...balanced 24 game schedule and 8+ NC opportunities.
                        I've said all along that a 7-team league would be a good thing for the reasons you mentioned. Tje opposition that was brought up when I floated the idea in the past is that if you lose a couple teams, you lose the autobid.

As for St Thomas, I was under the impression that the NCAA requires a 12-year process to move a school from DIII to DI. Their DIII hockey team was not grandfathered in like the current DII & DIII teams playing DI. If St. Thomas wants to play DI hockey, they must take all teams up to DI.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Comment

I've said all along that a 7-team league would be a good thing for the reasons you mentioned. Tje opposition that was brought up when I floated the idea in the past is that if you lose a couple teams, you lose the autobid.

As for St Thomas, I was under the impression that the NCAA requires a 12-year process to move a school from DIII to DI. Their DIII hockey team was not grandfathered in like the current DII & DIII teams playing DI. If St. Thomas wants to play DI hockey, they must take all teams up to DI.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

They (St Thomas) are in the process of moving all teams to DI. Their football program has an invite from the Summit League.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
                            They (St Thomas) are in the process of moving all teams to DI. Their football program has an invite from the Summit League.
                            But their process includes an unprecedented waiver from the NCAA to bypass the 12-year process. The NCAA is supposed to be addressing the case soon (I thought it was scheduled for January) but, if I recall, a decision is not expected until later in the spring.

Comment

Here is an article from last fall about the January NCAA meeting. I have not heard anything from the meeting but I will see what google can tell me.

https://www.uscho.com/2019/11/23/st-...on-in-january/

Last edited by MTUHuskies; 01-31-2020, 12:45 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                                Side note. I occasionally think of what names the new league might use, and I keep swinging around to playing off the NCHC with the American College Hockey Conference.

But then we'd need to only use six skaters at a time with no goalies... (like a DH in the AL vs NL )
                                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Working...
                                X