X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    Have you heard if he's said that off the record?
    Nope. Just a feeling.

Comment

Does he get his money if he “retires” ? Which would potentially hamstring the school to an even cheaper replacement?

Maybe the retirement payments are spread out over a while to mitigate that? Would’ve been a good thing to think of given his age when he got that extension but with this school who knows

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
      43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
      104-47-14 (.669) in that time
      3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
        Does he get his money if he “retires” ? Which would potentially hamstring the school to an even cheaper replacement?

Maybe the retirement payments are spread out over a while to mitigate that? Would’ve been a good thing to think of given his age when he got that extension but with this school who knows
        He won't leave money on the table...not a chance...if he's out after this season it won't be because he Retires, but that the AD Buys out his final season. For that to happen Maine would have to miss the playoffs(1-8)….and win less then 11-12 games for the overall season. (just imo).

Comment

He's a state employee. I'd be surprised if there was a provision under Maine law that allows a balloon retirement payment to a state employee that goes beyond the mandated Maine State Retirement payments. He's gotta get to 10 years to get vested in the state retirement system. He was hired as head coach in May 2013. He's got 6 years in during this stint already, plus about three in the early 90's, so if he finishes this year he will be over 10 years.

The average of his three highest years of income will be pretty high (lets call it $200,000), multiply that by the 10 years he put in, times .02 = $40,000/year from Maine State Retirement. That wouldn't be attributable to the athletic department.

Comment

NESN and Hockey East partner

NESN will broadcast three games from Alfond this season:
            16 Nov vs UNH
            15 Feb vs UConn
            22 Feb vs UVM

Road games:
            5 Oct @ PC
            22 Nov @ NU
            23 Nov @ NU
            7 Dec @ UMass
            15 Jan @ UConn
            24 Jan @ BC
            29 Feb @ PC

Games will be televised on either NESN or NESN+

Comment

Hockey East Coaches POLL out today(HockeyEastonline)….men's hockey @ #8 and women's hockey @ #8.....my thinking here is Maine's women's hockey gets more wins then the Gendron led men's hockey team

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
                He's a state employee. I'd be surprised if there was a provision under Maine law that allows a balloon retirement payment to a state employee that goes beyond the mandated Maine State Retirement payments. He's gotta get to 10 years to get vested in the state retirement system. He was hired as head coach in May 2013. He's got 6 years in during this stint already, plus about three in the early 90's, so if he finishes this year he will be over 10 years.

The average of his three highest years of income will be pretty high (lets call it $200,000), multiply that by the 10 years he put in, times .02 = $40,000/year from Maine State Retirement. That wouldn't be attributable to the athletic department.
                Who funds it? Suppose I get to continue kicking in for Red. Couldn't be better.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                  He won't leave money on the table...not a chance...if he's out after this season it won't be because he Retires, but that the AD Buys out his final season. For that to happen Maine would have to miss the playoffs(1-8)….and win less then 11-12 games for the overall season. (just imo).
                  Couldn't agree more.

If Red had possessed any integrity, he wouldn't have accepted the proposed extension in the first place. He had clearly failed to achieve his stated goals, but he took the money and ran, driving the program even deeper into oblivion.

He won't leave until the well runs dry, even if Maine goes 0-26 twice in the meantime.

I actually miss Timmy right now, who was twice the coach Red has ever been.
                  Last edited by Fishman'81; 09-26-2019, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Eh I wouldnt go so far as to say took the money and ran.

He stinks but its not like he’s aware that he stinks and is trying to bilk Maine out of the big bucks. He really thought he was going to win a national title.

Whatever else I’ll say about his performance and qualifications, you’ll never hear me say he didn’t give an honest effort.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                    43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                    104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                    3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Eh I wouldnt go so far as to say took the money and ran.

He stinks but its not like he’s aware that he stinks and is trying to bilk Maine out of the big bucks. He really thought he was going to win a national title.

Whatever else I’ll say about his performance and qualifications, you’ll never hear me say he didn’t give an honest effort.
                      He tried but was not the answer...not only him but you have to look at PAST A.D.'s on keeping the train on the tracks to keep hitting the WALL.

Comment

Professors are state employees? last i knew Umaine had its own health insurance and retirement programs. TIAA CREF.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                          Professors are state employees? last i knew Umaine had its own health insurance and retirement programs. TIAA CREF.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                          They do count as state employees, but you are right that UMaine doesn't use PERS. I don't know the nuts and bolts on the TIAA plan, but there has to be some time requirement to fully vest in lifetime benefits.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                            So 4-8 it is...
                            But if you close your eyes
                            Does it almost feel like nothing changed at all?
                            And if you close your eyes
                            Does it almost feel like you've been here before?
                            How am I going to be an optimist about this?
                            How am I going to be an optimist about this?

Comment

Football won the 2nd half, anyway, and Maine out-gained Villanova for the game.

This season isn't over, but it's on the brink. I don't believe that the Liberty game will matter much one way or the other, but the remaining CAA games certainly will.

Reed had one carry today. If he's dinged-up, the running game is in trouble. Maine misses Jefferson badly.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                                Football won the 2nd half, anyway, and Maine out-gained Villanova for the game.

This season isn't over, but it's on the brink. I don't believe that the Liberty game will matter much one way or the other, but the remaining CAA games certainly will.

Reed had one carry today. If he's dinged-up, the running game is in trouble. Maine misses Jefferson badly.
                                The season is heading south fast...need a running game to aid Ferguson...he has to have a balance as his passing game at times comes into question...PLUS the defense needs to do there job also, tackling has been a issue on big gainers...this season both sides of the ball are getting pushed around like rag dolls...they need imo all the remainder of the CAA games...plus some help from others beating CAA teams without losses to this point.

Comment

Working...
                                X