This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

Former Maine Black Bear, D-man Ben Hutton has signed a 1 year/1.5 million deal with the L.A. Kings.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
      Former Maine Black Bear, D-man Ben Hutton has signed a 1 year/1.5 million deal with the L.A. Kings.
      Met his dad once in Ogdensburg, and we had a beer when Maine was up there for a weekend. Ben was a FR then, and was clearly a special player right off the bat.

Good for him on that contract.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
        Ok
        Alcoholic dementia is a difficult condition to treat, but it won't hurt to look into it.

Perhaps there are newer options these days; you never know.
        Last edited by Fishman'81; 09-18-2019, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Well a few weeks before the start of the Hockey Season....here's my take on the Regular Season in Hockey East and Frozen Four Picks: Hockey East: (1) BC (2) UMass (3) BU (4) UML (5) Providence (6) Northeastern (7) MAINE (8) UNH (9) Vermont (10) UConn (11) Merrimack --- Frozen Four Teams: North Dakota/Wisconsin/Boston College/Minnesota-Duluth....with UMD winning it all again.

Comment

I do realize that I shouldn't talk football much on here, but the Colgate win on the road was a start.

Reed ran the ball well, Fitzpatrick was even better, but Edwards saved the day at last. That guy will play on Sundays next year.

The Maine D was ferocious most of the time, but that 3rd-string Colgate QB delivered some great balls on dire downs and distance, too.

Things haven't gone Maine's way so far, but this is a quality team, and The Bears are certainly still in the mix.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
              I do realize that I shouldn't talk football much on here, but the Colgate win on the road was a start.

Reed ran the ball well, Fitzpatrick was even better, but Edwards saved the day at last. That guy will play on Sundays next year.

The Maine D was ferocious most of the time, but that 3rd-string Colgate QB delivered some great balls on dire downs and distance, too.

Things haven't gone Maine's way so far, but this is a quality team, and The Bears are certainly still in the mix.
              Tough play this weekend at Villanova...Villanova is coming off a big win over Towson last week...Maine needs these CAA games.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                Tough play this weekend at Villanova...Villanova is coming off a big win over Towson last week...Maine needs these CAA games.

Yeah, I think Nova is tremendous this year, and Maine is just very good. I don't feel too good about our matchup this weekend. I still, over-all, feel pretty good about our season and our chances of making the playoff field, as maybe the 5th seed from the CAA, but we are just not as good as James Madison or Towson or Nova. There are just a ton of really bad fcs teams (not in the CAA unfortunately), though, and I think Maine to be one of the top 24 when all is said and done. I see Ls to Nova and Elon, but we should be 7-4 heading into New Hampshire. 8-4 and we are in, 7-5 and we are cooked. Also, we have to win the 'easy games' like Albany, Richmond, W&M--and I kind of think we will beat Liberty.

I see 7th for the Hockey team. Not enough goal-scoring, tepid defensive play, dumb penalties and very good goaltending will add up to a very frustrating year filled with 2-1 and 3-2 losses. I think this is Red's last year.
                Last edited by maineblackbear; 09-24-2019, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by maineblackbear View Post
                  Yeah, I think Nova is tremendous this year, and Maine is just very good. I don't feel too good about our matchup this weekend. I still, over-all, feel pretty good about our season and our chances of making the playoff field, as maybe the 5th seed from the CAA, but we are just not as good as James Madison or Towson or Nova. There are just a ton of really bad fcs teams (not in the CAA unfortunately), though, and I think Maine to be one of the top 24 when all is said and done. I see Ls to Nova and Elon, but we should be 7-4 heading into New Hampshire. 8-4 and we are in, 7-5 and we are cooked. Also, we have to win the 'easy games' like Albany, Richmond, W&M--and I kind of think we will beat Liberty.

I see 7th for the Hockey team. Not enough goal-scoring, tepid defensive play, dumb penalties and very good goaltending will add up to a very frustrating year filled with 2-1 and 3-2 losses. I think this is Red's last year.
                  Pretty much hits it all....good scouting report...!

Comment

Yeah,

Except, the U's president said she doesnt agree with buying out a coach. Which in theory I agree because the situation should be better managed. But in this case they need to do what it takes to start filling the rink and get the revenue turned around. Do it in a smart planned way, not half a**. Sorry, same ole frustrated rant.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
                      Except, the U's president said she doesnt agree with buying out a coach. Which in theory I agree because the situation should be better managed. But in this case they need to do what it takes to start filling the rink and get the revenue turned around. Do it in a smart planned way, not half a**. Sorry, same ole frustrated rant.
                      It's not a "rant" if it makes perfect sense.

Red -by any reasonable metric- should have been fired years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
                        I think Red is going to retire if this season doesn't go well. I could be wrong though. I thought he was going to retire two years ago.

Comment

Again, good summary of both programs.

As far as football goes, I'm slightly more optimistic than you, in that Maine could win at Villanova if they throw a few wrinkles in the mix, and completely avoid turn-overs. If they win that game, and the others that you cite, it could easily translate into another run in the play-offs.

Hockey..? Not so much. Maine was mediocre (to put it politely) last year, and looks to be worse in '19-'20... (As in, forget about it.)

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                            I think Red is going to retire if this season doesn't go well. I could be wrong though. I thought he was going to retire two years ago.
                            Six years ago would have suited me fine. He's been the worst coach in Maine hockey history, all things considered.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                              It's not a "rant" if it makes perfect sense.

Red -by any reasonable metric- should have been fired years ago.
                              For sure on that.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                                Have you heard if he's said that off the record?

Comment

Working...
                                X