This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
    Thanks to all the VET's today and beyond..!(Past/Present and Future Men & Women) They give us a chance to be us on these threads.
    Yes. Thanks to all that sacrifice, and have, to protect us.

Comment

• Re: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
      Thanks to all the VET's today and beyond..!(Past/Present and Future Men & Women) They give us a chance to be us on these threads.
      Amen to that!

Comment

Maine receives 24 votes and is ranked 25th in this week's poll. New Hampshire is ranked 23rd with 42 votes.

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
          Maine receives 24 votes and is ranked 25th in this week's poll. New Hampshire is ranked 23rd with 42 votes.
          And tied for third in Hockey East! We got ourselves a legit Big 4 match-up next weekend, lol...
          Live Free or Die!!
          Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
            And tied for third in Hockey East! We got ourselves a legit Big 4 match-up next weekend, lol...
            Now if we can fill the Alfond like old times and lift the roof off...in the old days Alfond Arena was the ACE in the hole for Maine...tough/tough place to play.

Comment

If the football team wins out, they will be 7-5 and squarely on the bubble.

How nice would it be to have an extra win over Bryant or Wagner or something, and not a loss to Liberty? 8-4 in the CAA is in. 7-5 is dicey. STOP SCHEDULING TWO FBS GAMES.

Comment

• Originally posted by AMC View Post
                If the football team wins out, they will be 7-5 and squarely on the bubble.

How nice would it be to have an extra win over Bryant or Wagner or something, and not a loss to Liberty? 8-4 in the CAA is in. 7-5 is dicey. STOP SCHEDULING TWO FBS GAMES.
                If we do that we can’t afford to fly the field hockey out to have its game cancelled by fireworks.

I think 7-5 will be seen as 7-3 vs D1AA and in. I think the UNH game will essentially be a play-in. I’m just glad Sacred Heart’s a D1, if they’d scheduled a D2 there they’d be cooked with only 6 D1 wins

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                  If we do that we can’t afford to fly the field hockey out to have its game cancelled by fireworks.

I think 7-5 will be seen as 7-3 vs D1AA and in. I think the UNH game will essentially be a play-in. I’m just glad Sacred Heart’s a D1, if they’d scheduled a D2 there they’d be cooked with only 6 D1 wins
                  I think it's more true to say "If we do that we can't afford to fly the field hockey team out to have its game cancelled by fireworks because the football team will be losing even more money.

I stand by my position that if Maine can't afford football without being a bodybag twice in one season, Maine shouldn't be playing football.

Comment

• Originally posted by AMC View Post
                    I think it's more true to say "If we do that we can't afford to fly the field hockey team out to have its game cancelled by fireworks because the football team will be losing even more money.

I stand by my position that if Maine can't afford football without being a bodybag twice in one season, Maine shouldn't be playing football.
                    Maine couldve beaten Liberty with a defense like last years but I feel your pain. They’ve done an ok job trying to make the second payday game a small conference, winnable one

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                    43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                    104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                    3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Didn't football pocket around 1.3 million for those two FBS games..?

I hear what AMC says in terms of W/L, but Bosox is correct in saying that the FCS selection process reliably ignores FBS losses. (And Maine has won a few FCS games, too... Not exactly sacrificial lambs in that regard.)

Bottom-line: I'd have to guess that football has/will make more than hockey this season, and it still is breathing.

(Calling Mr. Pickett... )
                      Last edited by Fishman'81; 11-12-2019, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                        I'd have to guess that football has/will make more than hockey this season.

(Calling Mr. Pickett... )
                        You'd be wrong

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                        I recall reading about Maine's athletic spending back in the spring in the previous thread. Therefore I created a spreadsheet with all of Maine's NCAA financial information for 2010-18 and posted the link. Since it is being brought up again I thought I would repost the link. The football program has brought in between 250 thousand (2011) and 725 thousand (2016) in guarantees, but the guarantees have only accounted for 10-17% of reported revenue. Furthermore, while football has shown an overall profit for 2016-18 that is due to an increase in direct institutional support of over $1 million per year compared to 2010-15. When institutional support is not counted as revenue the football team has lost between $2.6 and $3 million per year. In fact, no sports team as had an earned profit for for any year and the athletic department has had an earned loss between $9.8 million (2010) and $14.5 million (2018) each year which has been covered by institutional support.

Sean
                        Even if you are correct that the school got $1.3M for the two games (which I don't think is accurate) the football program will still be a $2 million black hole. Even with the depressed ticket sales, hockey should still "only" lose a fraction of that. Depending on how Hockey East divides the TV money from NESN and CBS Sports, hockey may actually be in the black this season if ticket sales pick up.

Comment

If Maine doesn’t have football, what do they do to meet Title IX compliance in the scholarship department? Cut 63 women’s scholarships? Add men’s sports? Do the alternatives for football lose more money than football already does? What about the income that comes from tuition and fees from the 30+ football players not on scholarship?

Comment

Originally posted by dunbar View Post
                            If Maine doesn’t have football, what do they do to meet Title IX compliance in the scholarship department? Cut 63 women’s scholarships? Add men’s sports?
                            Lacrosse.

Do the alternatives for football lose more money than football already does?
                            No.

What about the income that comes from tuition and fees from the 30+ football players not on scholarship?
                            That's what? $500,000? Assuming they don't get ANY financial assistance from the university (yeah, right) then we can factor that into the $2-3 million the university would save by not having football.

Also, are you assuming that those 30 spots in the student body will NOT be filled by 30 other students who will also pay about $500,000? Those spots will just go empty?

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                              Lacrosse.

No.

That's what? $500,000? Assuming they don't get ANY financial assistance from the university (yeah, right) then we can factor that into the $2-3 million the university would save by not having football.

Also, are you assuming that those 30 spots in the student body will NOT be filled by 30 other students who will also pay about $500,000? Those spots will just go empty?
                              There's also no men's soccer team at UMO, for example. That could be a spot to start to make up some of the damage if football ever went away.

Comment

• she is a black ice night. Don’t drive, she is a bit Fed up.

Comment

Working...
                                X