• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

Originally posted by steven22 View Post
    I think I found the article for you:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ks/2145432001/
    Very interesting link. Thank you. (I'm thinking that Maine should schedule Rutgers next year, and take the the 1.2 million one-off.)

Still wondering what -if any- money Maine made playing deep into the FCS play-offs last season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
      Very interesting link. Thank you. (I'm thinking that Maine should schedule Rutgers next year, and take the the 1.2 million one-off.)

Still wondering what -if any- money Maine made playing deep into the FCS play-offs last season.
      The non-conference schedule is set through 2021, with one game needed for 2022.

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/maine/

Comment

Originally posted by dunbar View Post
        The non-conference schedule is set through 2021, with one game needed for 2022.

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/maine/
        Thanks for that info.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
          Thank you. I was wondering when you'd show up. It's like a Bat Signal summons you whenever someone starts talking about money.

I knew the situation was bad but didn't think it was THAT bad. At least we're better off than the Alaska schools, so we have that going for us...which is nice.
          Thanks, as I said I had already created the spreadsheet for Maine several months ago.

Actually, Maine's athletic department has done much better than UNH's in containg costs. From 2010-18 UNH has run earned losses between $16.9 million (2012) and $22.85 million (2018) each year. UNH lists 18 sports (7 men, 11 women) while Maine lists 15 (7 men, 8 women) and they are not all same. I also haven't compared UNH to Maine sport-by-sport, but for 2018 (2017-18 school year), UNH spent $5.44 million on football while Maine spent $4.1 million and in hockey UNH spent $2.66 million (men) and $1.8 million (women) while Maine spent $2.1 million (men) and $1.1 million (women).

As for the Alaska schools, for the most part they have done an excellent job of containing expenses between 2010 and 2018. Both are D2 schools without football, but UAF's total athletic expenses were between $7.1 (2018) and $8.9 million (2012) while UAA's total athletic expenses were between $8.7 million (2010) and $13.1 million (2016) with $11.9 million for 2018.

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

NCAA financial reports are due for the previous school year by 15 January, so Maine's 2019 report which should list any NCAA distribution from the playoffs should be available for request by February. However, I took a look at what UNH reported for NCAA distributions for the years they made it into the FCS playoffs to get an idea how much Maine may have gotten.

2017-18 played 3 rounds (1st, 2nd, QF), $93,287
          2016-17 played 2 rounds (1st, 2nd), $53,589
          2015-16 played 1 round (1st), $21,203
          2014-15 played 3 rounds (2nd, QF, SF), $67,058
          before 2015 the reports combine NCAA and conference distributions together

Sean
          Last edited by Sean Pickett; 10-16-2019, 10:08 AM.
          Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
          Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
          BU Hockey highlights and extras
          NCAA Hockey Financials
          Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
          I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

• The boys actually won last weekend.

Football is going nowhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
              NCAA financial reports are due for the previous school year by 15 January, so Maine's 2019 report which should list any NCAA distribution from the playoffs should be available for request by February. However, I took a look at what UNH reported for NCAA distributions for the years they made it into the FCS playoffs to get an idea how much Maine may have gotten.

2017-18 played 3 rounds (1st, 2nd, QF), $93,287
              2016-17 played 2 rounds (1st, 2nd), $53,589
              2015-16 played 1 round (1st), $21,203
              2014-15 played 3 rounds (2nd, QF, SF), $67,058
              before 2015 the reports combine NCAA and conference distributions together

Sean
              Good stuff. It's truly enlightening to see that Maine (probably) makes more money via playing two FBS teams per year than it would from six seasons of making the third round of the FCS playoffs.

(Not that I like that circumstance, but now I have a better idea of why FCS schools do that across the board.)

Great post. May you live to be 120.
              Last edited by Fishman'81; 10-16-2019, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                The boys actually won last weekend.

Football is going nowhere.
                Football has a slim chance.

Hockey..? Depends on how delusional you are.

Comment

Freshman QB Fagnano starting at Liberty.
                  I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                    Freshman QB Fagnano starting at Liberty.
                    He had some aspects of his game versus Richmond that looked good...he can run when pressured...he does have some touch on his passes/but with that he learned the hard way in trying to put the ball in a crowd...IMO he did not look totally out of place, just needed the reps and was thrown into the fray with the game on the line....until they get there running game working he will be put in tough situations. I myself like his play and will only get better....but the season is sliding away fast.
                    Last edited by Ma#1ne Hky; 10-17-2019, 07:05 AM.

Comment

Any Maine fans making the trek to Hamden this weekend?
                      Quinnipiac Bobcats
                      2023 National Champions
                      ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                      ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                      East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
                      Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
                      Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                      Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

I am not travelling down. Appears that the game will be on ESPN+.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
                          You should have a pretty easy time getting the sweep this weekend Mark. If not then you better start worrying!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
                            We actually had planned to, but a family-thing reared its head. Wanted to see the team there before we completely committed to the SLU trip, which is actually a longer one.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                              He had some aspects of his game versus Richmond that looked good...he can run when pressured...he does have some touch on his passes/but with that he learned the hard way in trying to put the ball in a crowd...IMO he did not look totally out of place, just needed the reps and was thrown into the fray with the game on the line....until they get there running game working he will be put in tough situations. I myself like his play and will only get better....but the season is sliding away fast.
                              Yeah, if Ferguson is done, so goes the season.

But I'll watch just the same to see the new kid. His numbers were pretty good, despite the situation you describe.

(And I think the running game could be much better, too. Maine has two backs who can find space in spread sets, but seem reluctant to call those plays for whatever reason. Maybe with Ferguson out, we'll see a more diversified offense.)
                              Last edited by Fishman'81; 10-17-2019, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by maineiac View Post
                                You should have a pretty easy time getting the sweep this weekend Mark. If not then you better start worrying!
                                I take nothing for granted anymore. I remember all too well what happened the last time Maine came to town.
                                Quinnipiac Bobcats
                                2023 National Champions
                                ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                                ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                                East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
                                Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
                                Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                                Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X