X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    It's hard to do the math without the bottom-line available.

I watched Maine give Syracuse a game a few years ago, and I *think* that Maine received around 50K for showing-up.

That kind of money, 2X, could keep football solvent.
    Right, but you are basically saying that Maine is willing to trade some not-insignificant chance of making the playoffs for money. It could be a not-insignificant amount of money (I bet that Syracuse paid more like $300,000). But still, if you are saying "We want to win less than we need money to balance the books" it is time to re-evaluate what we are doing here.

Comment

• Originally posted by AMC View Post
      It doesn't punish, no. But if Maine goes 6-5 (realistic this year if they run the table and lose to Liberty) the reason Maine won't get in isn't because of the Liberty/Georgia Southern losses. The reason Maine won't get in is because they didn't also schedule Merrimack or LIU or Lafayette to get to 7-4.

Sure Maine COULD win those FBS games, maybe they do 1 or 2 out of 10. But Maine will beat a bad FCS school 9.5 times out of 10 and get credit for another win.
      If Maine finishes 6-5 this year, I’ll be absolutely shocked, simply because they play 12 games.

Comment

Power 5 teams pay big money. Maine hasnt played one since 2015, hasnt played a ranked fbs team since 2013.

Better off playing 1 power 5 game you really have no chance to win? Or two lesser fbs games where maybe you can steal one? I dont know but all they really need is the money being green.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
        43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
        104-47-14 (.669) in that time
        3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
          Right, but you are basically saying that Maine is willing to trade some not-insignificant chance of making the playoffs for money. It could be a not-insignificant amount of money (I bet that Syracuse paid more like $300,000). But still, if you are saying "We want to win less than we need money to balance the books" it is time to re-evaluate what we are doing here.
          You're right, I think it was 325K. Probably a lot more than a Liberty pays, but I couldn't dig that figure up.

Comment

You're right, I think it was 325K. Probably a lot more than a Liberty pays, but I couldn't dig that figure up.
            UMass is paying Maine 325k for the Liberty game...a scheduling quirk is why UMass is paying the tab.
            Last edited by Ma#1ne Hky; 10-14-2019, 11:21 AM.

Comment

The new poll is out. Maine still didn't get any votes.

Comment

Originally posted by dunbar View Post
                If Maine finishes 6-5 this year, I’ll be absolutely shocked, simply because they play 12 games.
                Regardless, my point stands. The playoff committee has shown a willingness to take teams with 7 D-I wins, but not 6. A non-conference of two FBS teams, a (normally) decent FCS team and a bad FCS team means you are hoping to go 2-2 and then win 5 conference games. And then hoping you get picked.

5-3 in conference and 3-1 in the non-conference is a stone cold lock. 4-4 in conference and 3-1 in the non-conference probably is, too. Maine is scheduling themselves a very narrow path to the playoffs and they are doing it for the money.

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
                  Regardless, my point stands. The playoff committee has shown a willingness to take teams with 7 D-I wins, but not 6. A non-conference of two FBS teams, a (normally) decent FCS team and a bad FCS team means you are hoping to go 2-2 and then win 5 conference games. And then hoping you get picked.

5-3 in conference and 3-1 in the non-conference is a stone cold lock. 4-4 in conference and 3-1 in the non-conference probably is, too. Maine is scheduling themselves a very narrow path to the playoffs and they are doing it for the money.
                  Certainly Maine is doing just that. But > half a mil isn't chump-change for the two games. It's something Maine has to consider, vs. hosting a Bucknell with very much less revenue to be had.

Does anyone have the numbers via the FCS playoff run last year? I'm wondering if it was comparable to anything like $325,000 per game.
                  Last edited by Fishman'81; 10-14-2019, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                    UMass is paying Maine 325k for the Liberty game...a scheduling quirk is why UMass is paying the tab.
                    If you could share a link to that info, I'd be grateful. I can't seem to find it on my own.

(Yeah, I'm old and lazy!)

Comment

If you could share a link to that info, I'd be grateful. I can't seem to find it on my own.

(Yeah, I'm old and lazy!)
                      Well I can tell you where I read it: Was on game day versus Sacred Heart, Friday August 30th...I got a USA TODAY newspaper at my Hotel room and inside the sports section they had a article on how much Teams pay other Teams to play and most likely beat them. Hopefully that helps you as I have no idea on how to get the article...maybe the others here on the THREAD can be of better help....but that's where I got the info.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                        Well I can tell you where I read it: Was on game day versus Sacred Heart, Friday August 30th...I got a USA TODAY newspaper at my Hotel room and inside the sports section they had a article on how much Teams pay other Teams to play and most likely beat them. Hopefully that helps you as I have no idea on how to get the article...maybe the others here on the THREAD can be of better help....but that's where I got the info.
                        I think I found the article for you:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ks/2145432001/

Comment

• Originally posted by AMC View Post

UNH has won 4 in a row too, so if they stay hot and Maine rights the ship that finale could be a play in. Its happened before where a UNH team with some early losses has come in and ruined our season. Shoe could be on the other foot if Maine can get some wins between now and then.

Its unlikely they run the table but its conceivable

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                          43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                          104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                          3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by steven22 View Post
                            I think I found the article for you:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ks/2145432001/
                            That is it...THANKS for the help...I was off by 25k on the money(300k not 325k).

Comment

I recall reading about Maine's athletic spending back in the spring in the previous thread. Therefore I created a spreadsheet with all of Maine's NCAA financial information for 2010-18 and posted the link. Since it is being brought up again I thought I would repost the link. The football program has brought in between 250 thousand (2011) and 725 thousand (2016) in guarantees, but the guarantees have only accounted for 10-17% of reported revenue. Furthermore, while football has shown an overall profit for 2016-18 that is due to an increase in direct institutional support of over $1 million per year compared to 2010-15. When institutional support is not counted as revenue the football team has lost between $2.6 and $3 million per year. In fact, no sports team as had an earned profit for for any year and the athletic department has had an earned loss between $9.8 million (2010) and $14.5 million (2018) each year which has been covered by institutional support.

Sean
                              Last edited by Sean Pickett; 10-15-2019, 11:51 AM.
                              Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                              Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                              BU Hockey highlights and extras
                              NCAA Hockey Financials
                              Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                              I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                                I recall reading about Maine's athletic spending back in the spring in the previous thread. Therefore I created a spreadsheet with all of Maine's NCAA financial information for 2010-18 and posted the link. Since it is being brought up again I thought I would repost the link. The football program has brought in between 250 thousand (2011) and 725 thousand (2016) in guarantees, but the guarantees have only accounted for 10-17% of reported revenue. Furthermore, while football has shown an overall profit for 2016-18 that is due to an increase in direct institutional support of over $1 million per year compared to 2010-15. When institutional support is not counted as revenue the football team has lost between $2.6 and $3 million per year. In fact, no sports team as had an earned profit for for any year and the athletic department has had an earned loss between $9.8 million (2010) and $14.5 million (2018) each year which has been covered by institutional support.

Sean
                                Thank you. I was wondering when you'd show up. It's like a Bat Signal summons you whenever someone starts talking about money.

I knew the situation was bad but didn't think it was THAT bad. At least we're better off than the Alaska schools, so we have that going for us...which is nice.

Comment

Working...
                                X