This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

As a season ticket holder for many years, this is the worst team I have seen. Left near the end of the 2nd period today. Couldn't stand any more.

Comment

I was shocked at last night's score, and I thought for a second that today's score was a typo.

I feel bad for you guys...this is very uncharacteristic, even by Red's standards. Hope that you can right the ship soon.

Edit: Watching the 1987 Hockey East Championship game BC vs Maine on NESN+ right now....what a walk down memory lane, kinda spooky seeing a young Shawn Walsh behind the bench. And I forgot how good a goalie Loring was for Maine back then.
      Last edited by Scott; 10-06-2019, 07:41 PM.
      UNH

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
        The worst part for me is that next year looks significantly worse. Maybe a new coach can help, but Maine loses most of their best players after this season.

It’s hard to understand how we got here. I honestly felt Maine was headed in the right direction after the 16, 17, and 18 seasons. It was a little concerning last year Maine didn’t bring in some better forwards, but they didn’t lose much so they might not have had a lot of money.

With that being said, this year’s freshmen class just makes no sense. They’ve gotten so many good kids to commit too. Maybe someone knows the full story because it is completely baffling to me why they let the good kids decommit or defer them and bring in the not so talented ones. Maine is a good three or four years away from respectability.
        Drew, with all respect, this was happening from Day One of Red's reign. Maine has gotten worse during every year that Red has been at the helm.

He took-over a Timmy team that had some talent, and fell on his face that year.

Then, he recruited nobody, and kept at it.

What is continually amazing to me is that he was extended on the basis of slowly driving the program into the ground.

That, I don't get.
        Last edited by Fishman'81; 10-06-2019, 07:54 PM.

Comment

UMaine women's sports thriving this weekend. Field hockey 2-0 with win over #5 Northwestern. Women's ice hockey sweeps Sacred Heart. Women's basketball gets a couple of big verbal commitments from Spain.

Comment

This has the makings of a very "UGLY" season...and not down the road but right now in front of us...UAA could come in next weekend and SWEEP Maine.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
              How do you know what effort he's given? Still can't get them to quit taking penalties, still can't get a 60 minute effort out of them, just what the hell does he do?

Talks a good game. But the last couple seasons, its just all excuses and blaming. Never about him not getting the job done
              You hit the NAIL WITH THE HAMMER, and right on target...everything we all see and then some...pretty sad.

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post
                How do you know what effort he's given? Still can't get them to quit taking penalties, still can't get a 60 minute effort out of them, just what the hell does he do?

Talks a good game. But the last couple seasons, its just all excuses and blaming. Never about him not getting the job done
                He sucks. I just don’t think he thinks he’s stealing money from the U as was essentially suggested.

To paraphrase the fake Mark Twain quote, he’s not a smart person putting us on, he’s an imbecile who really means it

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

• Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                  He sucks. I just don’t think he thinks he’s stealing money from the U as was essentially suggested.

To paraphrase the fake Mark Twain quote, he’s not a smart person putting us on, he’s an imbecile who really means it
                  And that the past management of the athletics bought that line of garbage. Can only hope the new mgmnt is better than prior and wont spend all of his time thinking about building new facilities.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
                    And that the past management of the athletics bought that line of garbage. Can only hope the new mgmnt is better than prior and wont spend all of his time thinking about building new facilities.
                    Would the current AD make a change in season? I don’t think there is any doubt he should, but it’s rare in college sports.
                    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                      Would the current AD make a change in season? I don’t think there is any doubt he should, but it’s rare in college sports.
                      Even more rare in college hockey. I highly doubt that would happen here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                        How likely even is it that they show him the door before the end of his contract? I would imagine Red will still be behind the bench until the end of next year.

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post

There's a reason he was a career assistant.
                          What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                            There's a reason he was a career assistant.
                            You got him because of the ring he won at Yale, we are all finding out down here that Dan Muse was the best Assistant to be promoted out of that championship year. He is still sorely missed.
                            YALE HOCKEY
                            2013 National Champions

Comment

My condolences to Maine fans. That was the worst, most over-matched Black Bears team I have ever witnessed play UNB. Usually the UNB-Maine games are fairly even, with Maine getting their goals with a superior power play, or off the rush with speed. Not this time. I hope this is young team that will get better. I did like the giant goaltender though.
                              "The great aim of education is not knowledge, but action." -- Herbert Spencer

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                                Even more rare in college hockey. I highly doubt that would happen here.
                                I think Red can get away with Maine being somewhere between mediocre and bad, but not embarrassing. To be fair, last weekend was a great weekend to have a bad weekend given that none of us expected much for the Providence game and the UNB game didn’t matter. That won’t be the case moving forward.
                                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Working...
                                X