X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

Originally posted by AMC View Post
    Fair warning, you are about to read the most optimistic post I have had in years:

Maine came out of October with 4 wins. That's 2 wins ahead of where I thought they would be.

Maine plays 10 games in November (BU, BU, @UML, @UML, UNH, UNH, @NU, @NU, @SLU, @SLU). 4/6 home/road split. But.... 5 wins seems realistic? SLU is very beatable. UNH at home is winnable. You can't expect sweeps, but with 4 very winnable games, and six underdog games, 5 wins isn't crazy.

Of the four December games (@UMA, @UMA, @Yale, AIC), it would be nice to get one. But, that could be 10 wins before the break, heading into a back half of the schedule with home two game sets against Omaha, Connecticut, Merrimack, and Vermont.

Here's my bonkers prediction: Maine finishes above .500 for the season.
    (Set down the Famous Grouse, maybe..? )

Maine has averaged 3 GPG, exactly, and has allowed 2.67 GPG.

That's a very fine line, obviously, and Swayman has to continue to be All-World going forward if Maine is going to have any kind of a shot at the NCAA's.

As good as he's been, I doubt that he can carry this team on his back for this entire season.
    Last edited by Fishman'81; 10-28-2019, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
      I never saw them get to 5. I saw them at 10.

Maine did get a vote in this week's USCHO poll.
      Red's wife, would be my guess on that one...

Comment

Breaking News

The NCAA is finally embracing “change” and starting the process of allowing student-athletes to profit off of their name, image and likeness, the organization announced on Tuesday.

“We must embrace change to provide the best possible experience for college athletes,” Board of Governors chairman and president of Ohio State University Michael V. Drake said in a statement. “Additional flexibility in this area can and must continue to support college sports as a part of higher education. This modernization for the future is a natural extension of the numerous steps NCAA members have taken in recent years to improve support for student-athletes, including full cost of attendance and guaranteed scholarships.”
        That means Jeremy Swayman can do commercials for the local construction firm ("Like a brick wall!")

Comment

Breaking News

That means Jeremy Swayman can do commercials for the local construction firm ("Like a brick wall!")
          Is that limited to certain States...like California??? Wonder now what will happen to the land scape of College Sports...will it kill the real small colleges. I guess we are in un-charted waters with this......

Comment

• Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
            Is that limited to certain States...like California??? Wonder now what will happen to the land scape of College Sports...will it kill the real small colleges. I guess we are in un-charted waters with this......
            It is national. It shouldn't have much effect on colleges but we'll see. It just means the QB at Notre Dame can get paid for his likeness. We do have to see if what I wrote is correct...can players do paid endorsements? The story is still breaking so we don't know how it will shake out. All the people online are focused on a college football video game, but if EA has to pay each player a likeness fee that might not work. And are all fees equal? The 3rd string Tackle is the same as the starting QB?

Comment

It is national. It shouldn't have much effect on colleges but we'll see. It just means the QB at Notre Dame can get paid for his likeness. We do have to see if what I wrote is correct...can players do paid endorsements? The story is still breaking so we don't know how it will shake out. All the people online are focused on a college football video game, but if EA has to pay each player a likeness fee that might not work. And are all fees equal? The 3rd string Tackle is the same as the starting QB?
              College hockey video game maybe? I know it will likely never happen from a major studio or publisher, at least any time soon, but I can dream...

Comment

I cant see it amounting to much. 99.9% of college athletes are not household names and wont be. Just regular kids who are good athletes. All sports. The big names from the big football schools, yeah they will cash in doing local commercials or a day at the Ford dealer.
                Last edited by NorthMike; 10-29-2019, 06:29 PM.

Comment

I could see this helping Maine ..... a fanbase that actually buys merch could pay guys more than a team that doesnt?

If the big money Big Ten type schools that pour money from their profits into hockey now have to give that money to their QBs instead of their assistant hockey trainers, maybe that helps level the playing field too?

We sure as shootin aren’t gonna be able to pay players so lets hope so

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                  43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                  104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                  3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Breaking News

Doesn't seem to hold water right now.

As of today, the NCAA is "considering" this concept "within the framework of existing collegiate athletics".

I paraphrase, but it's clear that this is yet another stall-tactic... More of the same lip service while the NCAA brass and the TV outlets continue to line their pockets.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                      Doesn't seem to hold water right now.

As of today, the NCAA is "considering" this concept "within the framework of existing collegiate athletics".

I paraphrase, but it's clear that this is yet another stall-tactic... More of the same lip service while the NCAA brass and the TV outlets continue to line their pockets.
                      The original story has changed quite a bit since I posted the link.

This addition is chilling

Sen. Richard Burr, R-N.C., said scholarship money received by college athletes who take endorsement money should be treated — and taxed — like income.

“If college athletes are going to make money off of their likeness while in school, their scholarships should be treated like income,” Burr said over Twitter. He said plans to introduce legislation that taxes scholarships for college athletes who choose to “cash in.”
                      If scholarships are taxable income that's the end of athletics.

Comment

The original story has changed quite a bit since I posted the link.

This addition is chilling

If scholarships are taxable income that's the end of athletics.
                        Taxing scholarships will never fly, don't you agree?

Taxing endorsement-money is business as usual.

Apples and oranges, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                          Taxing scholarships will never fly, don't you agree?

Taxing endorsement-money is business as usual.

Apples and oranges, IMO.
                          He says his plan is to tax scholarships. I would say it would never fly, but Washington is upside down these days.

Comment

He says his plan is to tax scholarships. I would say it would never fly, but Washington is upside down these days.
                            Plus they have said they want Unions in force...I think this will come back to bite many programs

Comment

This is just a do nothing committee formed by the NCAA to win the news cycle. They are still fighting the California law (which goes further, btw) tooth and nail.

Comment

Plus they have said they want Unions in force...I think this will come back to bite many programs
                                Yeah, but Union sucks this season so...oh, you meant...

Comment

Working...
                                X