X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
    I dont know, there is some decent talent, just not enough, depth has been a problem.
    Just getting what there is for talent maximized has not happenned.
    Actually looking forward to get to a game and see what this group looks like.
    i agree. Some "decent" talent, but no high-end talent whatsoever among his recruits (aside from Swayman) to push Maine into NCAA contention.

Maine has been a day late and a dollar short ever since Red arrived.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryecheers View Post
      You must not realize that most OOC games are scheduled as much four or five years in advance. When NU scheduled 2 home and 2 away games with Union, TheDutchme had recently won the Frozen Four. Who knew that last year’s 20 game winners would lose so much of its scoring punch. This weekend we play 2 at St. Cloud St. They and UMass, our next opponent, were ranked among the top ten last season. Our brim full of Atlantic Hockey consist of Bentley and HC, which recently upset Providence.These are local games teams, which should be scheduled, as is Harvard, who we play in the Beanpot. No joke!
      Kindly check your facts.
      When did Union join Atlantic Hockey?

This year NU plays Holy Cross and Bentley, last year Sacred Heart (2) and RIT and two seasons ago the NC schedule included Sacred Heart (2), Bentley (2), AIC and RIT.

Comment

Is anyone else sick of hearing about this field hockey nonsense? Kent St was always going to look after their own interests. Maine or any other school would do the same.
        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
          Odds are it'll matter more to them...
          Yes, almost certainly, losing to Maine will very likely impact QU's PWR far more than beating Maine.

It's a bit curious to me that good OOC programs want to play Maine anymore. What's to be gained?
          Last edited by Fishman'81; 10-23-2019, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
            Yes, almost certainly, losing to Maine will very likely impact QU's PWR far more than beating Maine.

It's a bit curious to me that good OOC programs want to play Maine anymore. What's to be gained?
            Common Opponent. Hopefully you beat Maine and Maine pulls an upset in conference play. And the game RPI for beating anyone is still decent. Losing on the other hand...

Comment

This is the Shawn Walsh factor, when Quinnipiac was more or less building up there program Walsh played them, usually always at Alfond but played them no less...as he stated when Maine was starting other programs played Maine...and with that Rand Pecknold a few seasons back at Maine told the same story that he was grateful and would try to continue playing Maine. And this was when Quinnipiac was known as the "Braves".

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                This is the Shawn Walsh factor, when Quinnipiac was more or less building up there program Walsh played them, usually always at Alfond but played them no less...as he stated when Maine was starting other programs played Maine...and with that Rand Pecknold a few seasons back at Maine told the same story that he was grateful and would try to continue playing Maine. And this was when Quinnipiac was known as the "Braves".
                Interesting observation, but Walsh won a huge % of games regardless of who he scheduled.

When you win around 30 games per year, and play in a strong HEA, your OOC opponents are largely irrelevant, aside from the NCAA seeding.

I sure do miss those days.

Comment

Interesting observation, but Walsh won a huge % of games regardless of who he scheduled.

When you win around 30 games per year, and play in a strong HEA, your OOC opponents are largely irrelevant, aside from the NCAA seeding.

We all miss those days...well we as the ones that witnessed first hand...we were spoiled, but it was a great run...sadly it is not even in the rear view mirror anymore...

Comment

• Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                    We all miss those days...well we as the ones that witnessed first hand...we were spoiled, but it was a great run...sadly it is not even in the rear view mirror anymore...
                    At least Maine was good in college hockey’s golden age. Hopefully Maine’s resurrection coincides with college hockey’s, but neither looks very likely at the minute. It’s a shame every time I turn on a game and the rink is 75% empty.
                    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Coach Walsh actually did far better out of conference than in Hockey East conference games.
                      OOC 179 games, 130-38-11, 0.757 (132-36-11, 0.768 on ice)
                      HEA 418 games, 227-157-34, 0.584 (236-145-37, 0.609 on ice)
                      RS 597 games, 357-195-45, 0.636 (368-181-48, 0.657 on ice)

Coach Walsh averaged 26 (27 on ice) wins per season.

I also miss those days. Besides the great rivalry between the teams Coach Parker had the slightly better overall and league records for those seasons:
                      Overall
                      BU, 668 games, 403-213-52, 0.642
                      Maine, 694 games, 420-228-46, 0.638
                      HE League games
                      BU, 431 games, 249-136-46, 0.631
                      Maine, 418 games, 236-145-37, 0.609
                      Coach Walsh, on the other hand, had the better OOC record and slightly better regular season record:
                      OOC games
                      Maine, 179 games, 132-36-11, 0.768
                      BU, 156 games, 104-47-5, 0.683
                      RS games
                      Maine, 597 games, 368-181-48, 0.657
                      BU, 587 games, 353-183-51, 0.645
                      And of course, the postseason battles, with Maine always winning the HE semifinal head-to-heads, but BU beating Maine in the HE quarterfinals, each winning a HE title against the other and, of course, BU beating Maine in the NCAA championship game in Providence.

Sean
                      Last edited by Sean Pickett; 10-24-2019, 09:15 PM.
                      Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                      Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                      BU Hockey highlights and extras
                      NCAA Hockey Financials
                      Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                      I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                        Coach Walsh actually did far better out of conference than in Hockey East conference games.
                        OOC 179 games, 130-38-11, 0.757 (132-36-11, 0.768 on ice)
                        HEA 418 games, 227-157-34, 0.584 (236-145-37, 0.609 on ice)
                        RS 597 games, 357-195-45, 0.636 (368-181-48, 0.657 on ice)

Coach Walsh averaged 26 (27 on ice) wins per season.

I also miss those days. Besides the great rivalry between the teams Coach Parker had the slightly better overall and league records for those seasons:
                        Overall
                        BU, 668 games, 403-213-52, 0.642
                        Maine, 694 games, 420-228-46, 0.638
                        HE League games
                        BU, 431 games, 249-136-46, 0.631
                        Maine, 418 games, 236-145-37, 0.609
                        Coach Walsh, on the other hand, had the better OOC record and slightly better regular season record:
                        OOC games
                        Maine, 179 games, 132-36-11, 0.768
                        BU, 156 games, 104-47-5, 0.683
                        RS games
                        Maine, 597 games, 368-181-48, 0.657
                        BU, 587 games, 353-183-51, 0.645
                        And of course, the postseason battles, with Maine always winning the HE semifinal head-to-heads, but BU beating Maine in the HE quarterfinals, each winning a HE title against the other and, of course, BU beating Maine in the NCAA championship game in Providence.

Sean
                        Maine and BU were arch-rivals then. There was unadulterated hatred there. And, Hockey East was a dominant conference back then.

Again, I miss that era.
                        Last edited by Fishman'81; 10-24-2019, 09:59 PM.

Comment

"I'll put my twins (Bavis) on your twins (Ferraros) and we'll kick your ***" -- Jack Parker to Red Gendron at the Hockey East preseason meeting in 1992.

Comment

"I'll put my twins (Bavis) on your twins (Ferraros) and we'll kick your ***" -- Jack Parker to Red Gendron at the Hockey East preseason meeting in 1992.
                            We saw the better twins.

Comment

This year NU plays Holy Cross and Bentley, last year Sacred Heart (2) and RIT and two seasons ago the NC schedule included Sacred Heart (2), Bentley (2), AIC and RIT.
                              The 2 year H/A series was with Sacred Heart was set up at least 5 years ago. Probably occurred because SH’s coach is an NU alum. RIT invited us to headline their season opening festival. AIC was an improving program which had been asking for a game. I think we had a postponement, so we plugged them into the schedule during the Christmas break.
                              The point is that NU is earning more respect each year and has been able schedule stronger teams. We play 2 at St. Cloud this weekend. Those Huskies never lost a game at home last season - although we beat them at Matthews. There are very few OOC cupcakes on our schedule.

Comment

The 2 year H/A series was with Sacred Heart was set up at least 5 years ago. Probably occurred because SH’s coach is an NU alum. RIT invited us to headline the season opening festival. AIC was an improving program which had been asking for a game. I think we had a postponed game so we plugged them into the schedule during the Christmas break.
                                The point is that NU is earning more respect each year and has been able schedule stronger teams. We play 2 at St. Cloud this weekend. Those Huskies never lost a game at home last season - although we beat them at Matthews. There are very few OOC cupcakes on our schedule.

Comment

Working...
                                X