Page 14 of 51 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Id say alaska is over its jet lag. maine just gave them a 4 on 3

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I listened on radio. Sounded like an exciting finish. Wondering if there was a large crowd? Hopefully that lifted fan spirits. Not often a Red team completes a sweep, so letís enjoy it. I wasnít expecting a sweep.

Never Forget!

Re: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

Friday attendance: 2975
    Saturday attendance: 2916

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Had a chance to tie with 30 secs left, INT, season over for Maine as far as playoffs are concerned
    A great opportunity for me to bring out my old hobby horse with Maine football:

If you don't play two FBS teams, you can get away with losing to two top 10 FCS teams plus losing a weird "our QB got injured" game.

If you play two FBS teams, and lose as expected, you have NO margin for error.

highlights...
    https://youtu.be/73P7XYGf178

Greenway looks like he tough to bring down. Helluva save by Swayman on that guy five feet out after recovering from the short side stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    A great opportunity for me to bring out my old hobby horse with Maine football:

If you don't play two FBS teams, you can get away with losing to two top 10 FCS teams plus losing a weird "our QB got injured" game.

If you play two FBS teams, and lose as expected, you have NO margin for error.
    It really depends on the FBS opponents. With Connecticut in 2020, and Massachusetts in 2021, plus the MAC opponents in those years, youíre playing CAA-caliber teams with more guarantee money in the pocket. No different than playing a Top 10-15 FCS team on the road. More money, and the committee doesnít punish for FBS losses.

Quote Originally Posted by dunbar View Post
    It really depends on the FBS opponents. With Connecticut in 2020, and Massachusetts in 2021, plus the MAC opponents in those years, you’re playing CAA-caliber teams with more guarantee money in the pocket. No different than playing a Top 10-15 FCS team on the road. More money, and the committee doesn’t punish for FBS losses.
    It doesn't punish, no. But if Maine goes 6-5 (realistic this year if they run the table and lose to Liberty) the reason Maine won't get in isn't because of the Liberty/Georgia Southern losses. The reason Maine won't get in is because they didn't also schedule Merrimack or LIU or Lafayette to get to 7-4.

Sure Maine COULD win those FBS games, maybe they do 1 or 2 out of 10. But Maine will beat a bad FCS school 9.5 times out of 10 and get credit for another win.

Black Bear since D-2

It doesn't punish, no. But if Maine goes 6-5 (realistic this year if they run the table and lose to Liberty) the reason Maine won't get in isn't because of the Liberty/Georgia Southern losses. The reason Maine won't get in is because they didn't also schedule Merrimack or LIU or Lafayette to get to 7-4.

Sure Maine COULD win those FBS games, maybe they do 1 or 2 out of 10. But Maine will beat a bad FCS school 9.5 times out of 10 and get credit for another win.
    It's hard to do the math without the bottom-line available.

I watched Maine give Syracuse a game a few years ago, and I *think* that Maine received around 50K for showing-up.

That kind of money, 2X, could keep football solvent.
    Last edited by Fishman'81; 10-13-2019 at 11:01 PM.

Never Forget!

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post

I watched Maine give Syracuse a game a few years ago, and I *think* that Maine received around 50K for showing-up.

Maine could get 20X that and football still won't be solvent.

Black Bear since D-2

Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    Maine could get 20X that and football still won't be solvent.
    I certainly don't know the accounting. Maybe the FCS games just offset the losses?

But, I'm pretty sure that hockey isn't making a dime these days, either.

Never Forget!

I certainly don't know the accounting. Maybe the FCS games just offset the losses?

But, I'm pretty sure that hockey isn't making a dime these days, either.
    Not anymore. The only sport on campus that occasionally makes a profit is women's basketball, depending on how many money games they play. Men's hoops is sometimes close, but hasn't turned a profit in years. Hockey was profitable until two or three years ago, but it went underwater and won't be back anytime soon. It's sad. As recently as 2011 Maine and UNH were the most profitable (public) hockey programs east of Michigan. No longer.

Right, but you are basically saying that Maine is willing to trade some not-insignificant chance of making the playoffs for money. It could be a not-insignificant amount of money (I bet that Syracuse paid more like $300,000). But still, if you are saying "We want to win less than we need money to balance the books" it is time to re-evaluate what we are doing here.

If Maine finishes 6-5 this year, Iíll be absolutely shocked, simply because they play 12 games.

There was no joy in Orono.

Power 5 teams pay big money. Maine hasnt played one since 2015, hasnt played a ranked fbs team since 2013.

Better off playing 1 power 5 game you really have no chance to win? Or two lesser fbs games where maybe you can steal one? I dont know but all they really need is the money being green.

Black Bear since D-2

Right, but you are basically saying that Maine is willing to trade some not-insignificant chance of making the playoffs for money. It could be a not-insignificant amount of money (I bet that Syracuse paid more like $300,000). But still, if you are saying "We want to win less than we need money to balance the books" it is time to re-evaluate what we are doing here.
    You're right, I think it was 325K. Probably a lot more than a Liberty pays, but I couldn't dig that figure up.

You're right, I think it was 325K. Probably a lot more than a Liberty pays, but I couldn't dig that figure up.
    UMass is paying Maine 325k for the Liberty game...a scheduling quirk is why UMass is paying the tab.
    Last edited by Ma#1ne Hky; 10-14-2019 at 12:21 PM.

Never Forget!

The new poll is out. Maine still didn't get any votes.

Quote Originally Posted by dunbar View Post
    If Maine finishes 6-5 this year, Iíll be absolutely shocked, simply because they play 12 games.
    Regardless, my point stands. The playoff committee has shown a willingness to take teams with 7 D-I wins, but not 6. A non-conference of two FBS teams, a (normally) decent FCS team and a bad FCS team means you are hoping to go 2-2 and then win 5 conference games. And then hoping you get picked.

5-3 in conference and 3-1 in the non-conference is a stone cold lock. 4-4 in conference and 3-1 in the non-conference probably is, too. Maine is scheduling themselves a very narrow path to the playoffs and they are doing it for the money.

Black Bear since D-2

Regardless, my point stands. The playoff committee has shown a willingness to take teams with 7 D-I wins, but not 6. A non-conference of two FBS teams, a (normally) decent FCS team and a bad FCS team means you are hoping to go 2-2 and then win 5 conference games. And then hoping you get picked.

5-3 in conference and 3-1 in the non-conference is a stone cold lock. 4-4 in conference and 3-1 in the non-conference probably is, too. Maine is scheduling themselves a very narrow path to the playoffs and they are doing it for the money.
    Certainly Maine is doing just that. But > half a mil isn't chump-change for the two games. It's something Maine has to consider, vs. hosting a Bucknell with very much less revenue to be had.

Does anyone have the numbers via the FCS playoff run last year? I'm wondering if it was comparable to anything like $325,000 per game.
    Last edited by Fishman'81; 10-14-2019 at 10:45 PM.

Black Bear since D-2

Quote Originally Posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
    UMass is paying Maine 325k for the Liberty game...a scheduling quirk is why UMass is paying the tab.
    If you could share a link to that info, I'd be grateful. I can't seem to find it on my own.

(Yeah, I'm old and lazy!)

If you could share a link to that info, I'd be grateful. I can't seem to find it on my own.

(Yeah, I'm old and lazy!)
    Well I can tell you where I read it: Was on game day versus Sacred Heart, Friday August 30th...I got a USA TODAY newspaper at my Hotel room and inside the sports section they had a article on how much Teams pay other Teams to play and most likely beat them. Hopefully that helps you as I have no idea on how to get the article...maybe the others here on the THREAD can be of better help....but that's where I got the info.

Thread Information