Page 14 of 51 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 280 of 1003

Thread: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

  1. #261
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,406
    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Id say alaska is over its jet lag. maine just gave them a 4 on 3

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I listened on radio. Sounded like an exciting finish. Wondering if there was a large crowd? Hopefully that lifted fan spirits. Not often a Red team completes a sweep, so letís enjoy it. I wasnít expecting a sweep.

  2. #262
    Never Forget!
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    4,954

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

    Friday attendance: 2975
    Saturday attendance: 2916

  3. #263
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    12,890

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Had a chance to tie with 30 secs left, INT, season over for Maine as far as playoffs are concerned
    A great opportunity for me to bring out my old hobby horse with Maine football:

    If you don't play two FBS teams, you can get away with losing to two top 10 FCS teams plus losing a weird "our QB got injured" game.

    If you play two FBS teams, and lose as expected, you have NO margin for error.

  4. #264
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,406
    highlights...
    https://youtu.be/73P7XYGf178

    Greenway looks like he tough to bring down. Helluva save by Swayman on that guy five feet out after recovering from the short side stuff.

  5. #265
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    A great opportunity for me to bring out my old hobby horse with Maine football:

    If you don't play two FBS teams, you can get away with losing to two top 10 FCS teams plus losing a weird "our QB got injured" game.

    If you play two FBS teams, and lose as expected, you have NO margin for error.
    It really depends on the FBS opponents. With Connecticut in 2020, and Massachusetts in 2021, plus the MAC opponents in those years, youíre playing CAA-caliber teams with more guarantee money in the pocket. No different than playing a Top 10-15 FCS team on the road. More money, and the committee doesnít punish for FBS losses.

  6. #266
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    12,890

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

    Quote Originally Posted by dunbar View Post
    It really depends on the FBS opponents. With Connecticut in 2020, and Massachusetts in 2021, plus the MAC opponents in those years, you’re playing CAA-caliber teams with more guarantee money in the pocket. No different than playing a Top 10-15 FCS team on the road. More money, and the committee doesn’t punish for FBS losses.
    It doesn't punish, no. But if Maine goes 6-5 (realistic this year if they run the table and lose to Liberty) the reason Maine won't get in isn't because of the Liberty/Georgia Southern losses. The reason Maine won't get in is because they didn't also schedule Merrimack or LIU or Lafayette to get to 7-4.

    Sure Maine COULD win those FBS games, maybe they do 1 or 2 out of 10. But Maine will beat a bad FCS school 9.5 times out of 10 and get credit for another win.

  7. #267
    Black Bear since D-2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    4,801

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

    Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    It doesn't punish, no. But if Maine goes 6-5 (realistic this year if they run the table and lose to Liberty) the reason Maine won't get in isn't because of the Liberty/Georgia Southern losses. The reason Maine won't get in is because they didn't also schedule Merrimack or LIU or Lafayette to get to 7-4.

    Sure Maine COULD win those FBS games, maybe they do 1 or 2 out of 10. But Maine will beat a bad FCS school 9.5 times out of 10 and get credit for another win.
    It's hard to do the math without the bottom-line available.

    I watched Maine give Syracuse a game a few years ago, and I *think* that Maine received around 50K for showing-up.

    That kind of money, 2X, could keep football solvent.
    Last edited by Fishman'81; 10-13-2019 at 11:01 PM.

  8. #268
    Never Forget!
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    4,954

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    It's hard to do the math without the bottom-line available.

    I watched Maine give Syracuse a game a few years ago, and I *think* that Maine received around 50K for showing-up.

    That kind of money, 2X, could keep football solvent.
    Maine could get 20X that and football still won't be solvent.

  9. #269
    Black Bear since D-2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    4,801

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

    Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    Maine could get 20X that and football still won't be solvent.
    I certainly don't know the accounting. Maybe the FCS games just offset the losses?

    But, I'm pretty sure that hockey isn't making a dime these days, either.

  10. #270
    Never Forget!
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    4,954

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    I certainly don't know the accounting. Maybe the FCS games just offset the losses?

    But, I'm pretty sure that hockey isn't making a dime these days, either.
    Not anymore. The only sport on campus that occasionally makes a profit is women's basketball, depending on how many money games they play. Men's hoops is sometimes close, but hasn't turned a profit in years. Hockey was profitable until two or three years ago, but it went underwater and won't be back anytime soon. It's sad. As recently as 2011 Maine and UNH were the most profitable (public) hockey programs east of Michigan. No longer.

  11. #271
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    12,890

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    It's hard to do the math without the bottom-line available.

    I watched Maine give Syracuse a game a few years ago, and I *think* that Maine received around 50K for showing-up.

    That kind of money, 2X, could keep football solvent.
    Right, but you are basically saying that Maine is willing to trade some not-insignificant chance of making the playoffs for money. It could be a not-insignificant amount of money (I bet that Syracuse paid more like $300,000). But still, if you are saying "We want to win less than we need money to balance the books" it is time to re-evaluate what we are doing here.

  12. #272
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    It doesn't punish, no. But if Maine goes 6-5 (realistic this year if they run the table and lose to Liberty) the reason Maine won't get in isn't because of the Liberty/Georgia Southern losses. The reason Maine won't get in is because they didn't also schedule Merrimack or LIU or Lafayette to get to 7-4.

    Sure Maine COULD win those FBS games, maybe they do 1 or 2 out of 10. But Maine will beat a bad FCS school 9.5 times out of 10 and get credit for another win.
    If Maine finishes 6-5 this year, Iíll be absolutely shocked, simply because they play 12 games.

  13. #273
    There was no joy in Orono.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    The Dark Side
    Posts
    2,969

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

    Power 5 teams pay big money. Maine hasnt played one since 2015, hasnt played a ranked fbs team since 2013.

    Better off playing 1 power 5 game you really have no chance to win? Or two lesser fbs games where maybe you can steal one? I dont know but all they really need is the money being green.

  14. #274
    Black Bear since D-2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    4,801

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

    Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Right, but you are basically saying that Maine is willing to trade some not-insignificant chance of making the playoffs for money. It could be a not-insignificant amount of money (I bet that Syracuse paid more like $300,000). But still, if you are saying "We want to win less than we need money to balance the books" it is time to re-evaluate what we are doing here.
    You're right, I think it was 325K. Probably a lot more than a Liberty pays, but I couldn't dig that figure up.

  15. #275
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,300

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    You're right, I think it was 325K. Probably a lot more than a Liberty pays, but I couldn't dig that figure up.
    UMass is paying Maine 325k for the Liberty game...a scheduling quirk is why UMass is paying the tab.
    Last edited by Ma#1ne Hky; 10-14-2019 at 12:21 PM.

  16. #276
    Never Forget!
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    4,954

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

    The new poll is out. Maine still didn't get any votes.

  17. #277
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    12,890

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

    Quote Originally Posted by dunbar View Post
    If Maine finishes 6-5 this year, Iíll be absolutely shocked, simply because they play 12 games.
    Regardless, my point stands. The playoff committee has shown a willingness to take teams with 7 D-I wins, but not 6. A non-conference of two FBS teams, a (normally) decent FCS team and a bad FCS team means you are hoping to go 2-2 and then win 5 conference games. And then hoping you get picked.

    5-3 in conference and 3-1 in the non-conference is a stone cold lock. 4-4 in conference and 3-1 in the non-conference probably is, too. Maine is scheduling themselves a very narrow path to the playoffs and they are doing it for the money.

  18. #278
    Black Bear since D-2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    4,801

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

    Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Regardless, my point stands. The playoff committee has shown a willingness to take teams with 7 D-I wins, but not 6. A non-conference of two FBS teams, a (normally) decent FCS team and a bad FCS team means you are hoping to go 2-2 and then win 5 conference games. And then hoping you get picked.

    5-3 in conference and 3-1 in the non-conference is a stone cold lock. 4-4 in conference and 3-1 in the non-conference probably is, too. Maine is scheduling themselves a very narrow path to the playoffs and they are doing it for the money.
    Certainly Maine is doing just that. But > half a mil isn't chump-change for the two games. It's something Maine has to consider, vs. hosting a Bucknell with very much less revenue to be had.

    Does anyone have the numbers via the FCS playoff run last year? I'm wondering if it was comparable to anything like $325,000 per game.
    Last edited by Fishman'81; 10-14-2019 at 10:45 PM.

  19. #279
    Black Bear since D-2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    4,801

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

    Quote Originally Posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
    UMass is paying Maine 325k for the Liberty game...a scheduling quirk is why UMass is paying the tab.
    If you could share a link to that info, I'd be grateful. I can't seem to find it on my own.

    (Yeah, I'm old and lazy!)

  20. #280
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,300

    Re: Maine Black Bears 2019-20: Seeing Red

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    If you could share a link to that info, I'd be grateful. I can't seem to find it on my own.

    (Yeah, I'm old and lazy!)
    Well I can tell you where I read it: Was on game day versus Sacred Heart, Friday August 30th...I got a USA TODAY newspaper at my Hotel room and inside the sports section they had a article on how much Teams pay other Teams to play and most likely beat them. Hopefully that helps you as I have no idea on how to get the article...maybe the others here on the THREAD can be of better help....but that's where I got the info.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •