Harvard Crimson 2019-2020 All Things Bright and Beautiful

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Harvard Crimson 2019-2020 All Things Bright and Beautiful

Crazy game tonight. Union came out with a good game plan to hit the Crimson and keep them pinned to the boards. For the first period, it worked. Then the second period happened with only one of the goals on the PP. Could not believe how much room we had in front of the Union goalies in the second - it was like Union decided to just watch the Crimson skate and admire the view. As the Union announcers said, it resembled pond hockey and as someone who played this brand of hockey, I concur. No D structure at all.

Game got out of hand after that with a total lack of discipline and focus from the Crimson (can't really blame them all that much). Credit Union for not throwing in the towel although getting a too many men on the ice penalty when you're already shorthanded is, well, embarrassing to say the least. Not the Dutchmen we know from previous seasons. And our first win up there in ten years. Last time we scored 8 or more goals against Union was Feb 1st, 2005. Another rout.

Interesting that Rathbone has been limited to PP duty only. Not sure what the coaching staff is doing here. He can't be happy about it. Jace Foskey is getting more ice time as is Nick Azur. Would like some insight here because if this doesn't change, Rathbone might skip his final two seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
      Crazy game tonight. Union came out with a good game plan to hit the Crimson and keep them pinned to the boards. For the first period, it worked. Then the second period happened with only one of the goals on the PP. Could not believe how much room we had in front of the Union goalies in the second - it was like Union decided to just watch the Crimson skate and admire the view. As the Union announcers said, it resembled pond hockey and as someone who played this brand of hockey, I concur. No D structure at all.

Game got out of hand after that with a total lack of discipline and focus from the Crimson (can't really blame them all that much). Credit Union for not throwing in the towel although getting a too many men on the ice penalty when you're already shorthanded is, well, embarrassing to say the least. Not the Dutchmen we know from previous seasons. And our first win up there in ten years. Last time we scored 8 or more goals against Union was Feb 1st, 2005. Another rout.

Interesting that Rathbone has been limited to PP duty only. Not sure what the coaching staff is doing here. He can't be happy about it. Jace Foskey is getting more ice time as is Nick Azur. Would like some insight here because if this doesn't change, Rathbone might skip his final two seasons.
      Yup and I wonder if Gibson has hit the wall? Some of theose goals he wants back. I bet Gornet gets the start against the Huskies on Monday. A win there would be huge!

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
        Yup and I wonder if Gibson has hit the wall? Some of theose goals he wants back. I bet Gornet gets the start against the Huskies on Monday. A win there would be huge!
        We need a win against the Huskies - we're right there in the rankings with them. To beat them and BC for the Beanpot would go a long way towards getting us NCAA consideration even if we don't win the ECAC tourney.

I'd like to think last night's game was an anomaly for Gibson. He's been really good this year. The D in front of him didn't play all that great. Too much running around and poor down low coverage. Union has had trouble scoring this year which is the only reason I'd worry about him.

Comment

Mind-numbingly stupid penalty by Wong last night, getting a little tired of his antics. I like the physical nature of his play but he is starting to look like a goon who cares about his hits more than playing smart and trying to win a game.

Comment

Originally posted by Crimson Faced View Post
            Mind-numbingly stupid penalty by Wong last night, getting a little tired of his antics. I like the physical nature of his play but he is starting to look like a goon who cares about his hits more than playing smart and trying to win a game.
            If you are annoyed by Wong, than what do you think of Bowlby? Bowlby should have been beched for games months ago, and yet continues to take lazy, offensive zone penalties without a leash and despite little production.

This team is done, but it's a young team getting a lot of experience. Next year will be very different.

Comment

If you are annoyed by Wong, than what do you think of Bowlby? Bowlby should have been beched for games months ago, and yet continues to take lazy, offensive zone penalties without a leash and despite little production.

This team is done, but it's a young team getting a lot of experience. Next year will be very different.
              What really annoys me is the look on these kids' faces when they get called for a penalty. Like they were being told "No X-Box tonight after the game". Bowlby has talent and shouldn't be this lazy or stupid. Agree that some accountability is needed. It's working for the Bruins. How about bringing up Solin and Perrault?

That said, other than poor down low D coverage on the two Northeastern goals, I liked their effort and push against the Huskies. The failure to convert on the 5 on 3 really hurt. But they eventually responded with more pressure. The Huskies never really gave them quality looks and blocked a lot of shots. Credit to them.

I've said this before and I'll say it again; Why are we playing the Beanpot? Two championships in 27 years? How is that competitive with the other schools? The time has come and gone when we can regularly compete against HE and win our share of games. Doesn't make sense to continue to participate. We're technically not a Boston school and there is so little support from the Harvard faithful. UMass Lowell should be the fourth school.

Comment

Based on Teddy's comments in the Boston Globe, he acknowledges the youth and inexperience and pretty much admitted that this year is a 'trial and error' season. I think he knows that they aren't going anywhere. They need to develop better habits and more accountability. Senior class is devoid of leadership.

Comment

Based on Teddy's comments in the Boston Globe, he acknowledges the youth and inexperience and pretty much admitted that this year is a 'trial and error' season. I think he knows that they aren't going anywhere. They need to develop better habits and more accountability. Senior class is devoid of leadership.
                  Yup. And I took an attempt at a projected line-up last year (based on recruits getting through admissions as planned). Her is what I have got:

Projected 2020-2021 Lineup

Abruzzese Drury Dornbach
                  Beniers Farinacci Farrell
                  Gaffney Badini Murphy
                  Wong Kuntar Bowlby

Rathbone Siedem
                  Thrun Bar
                  Rifai Foskey

This assumes that Walsh departs. If he does not, he would slot in and one of the 6 defenseman above would become an extra.

Comment

Yup. And I took an attempt at a projected line-up last year (based on recruits getting through admissions as planned). Her is what I have got:

Projected 2020-2021 Lineup

Abruzzese Drury Dornbach
                    Beniers Farinacci Farrell
                    Gaffney Badini Murphy
                    Wong Kuntar Bowlby

Rathbone Siedem
                    Thrun Bar
                    Rifai Foskey

This assumes that Walsh departs. If he does not, he would slot in and one of the 6 defenseman above would become an extra.
                    I spoke to Reilly's parents last season at a home game. They say he loves Harvard and gave me the impression that he wants to finish out his four years. Of course if the Devils wave a bunch of money, who knows....?

Comment

I spoke to Reilly's parents last season at a home game. They say he loves Harvard and gave me the impression that he wants to finish out his four years. Of course if the Devils wave a bunch of money, who knows....?
                      If they don't sign him (or trade him to a team where he can play - John Marino) than he is free to walk. Not sure what the NJD defense situation looks like. Don't think Reilly has had the JR season he expected, but the NJD may not care.

Comment

Originally posted by Crimson Faced View Post
                        Wong is the second coming of Kevan Melrose. He's a cementhead. I hope he plays all four years because he's a godsend to the opponent when he's on the ice.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          Wong is the second coming of Kevan Melrose. He's a cementhead. I hope he plays all four years because he's a godsend to the opponent when he's on the ice.
                          If it ends up with a National Title as it did with Kevin, then we are all good.

Comment

If it ends up with a National Title as it did with Kevin, then we are all good.
                            Fair point. Now all you're missing is MacDonald, Bourbeau, Young, Ciavaglia, and Roy. You've got Donato already.
                            Last edited by Kepler; 02-06-2020, 08:12 AM.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              Fair point. Now all you're missing is MacDonald, Bourbeau, Young, Ciavaglia, and Roy. You've got Donato already.
                              I think in Drury, Abruzeese, Beniers, Farrell, Kuntar - we've got the horses over the next 2 years.

In all seriousness, I think Harvard needs a guy or two like Wong. And Wong taking 1-2 penalties a game provdes the team with a spark (like Melrose in 1988-1989). He actually reminds me of Steve Martins a bit (who played with a similar nasty streak), though we have not seen any real offensive prowess yet. Wong was a pretty big scorer in the AJHL and a 6th round draft paick. He's still finding his legs and his stick after sitting out the 1st half with an injury. I think next year is when we will see a gritty, but more gifted offensive version of Wong who likely will play 3rd or 4th line with the frosh coming in (who collectively, are probably the best Harvard has brought in in a very long time).

I think Harvard should unseat Cornell (likely not next year due to Cornell's strong current Junior class), but in the years thereafter, similar to where things were a few years back when Harvard made its Frozen Four run.
                              Last edited by bothman; 02-06-2020, 09:28 AM.

Comment

What really annoys me is the look on these kids' faces when they get called for a penalty. Like they were being told "No X-Box tonight after the game". Bowlby has talent and shouldn't be this lazy or stupid. Agree that some accountability is needed. It's working for the Bruins. How about bringing up Solin and Perrault?

That said, other than poor down low D coverage on the two Northeastern goals, I liked their effort and push against the Huskies. The failure to convert on the 5 on 3 really hurt. But they eventually responded with more pressure. The Huskies never really gave them quality looks and blocked a lot of shots. Credit to them.

I've said this before and I'll say it again; Why are we playing the Beanpot? Two championships in 27 years? How is that competitive with the other schools? The time has come and gone when we can regularly compete against HE and win our share of games. Doesn't make sense to continue to participate. We're technically not a Boston school and there is so little support from the Harvard faithful. UMass Lowell should be the fourth school.
                                This is silly. While Harvard's had the occasional lean year, they are now recruiting at a level essentially equal to BU and BC, so there's no reason they can't compete nationally, let alone the Beanpot. As a Cornell guy, I just hope Cornell can somewhat keep up.

Comment

Working...
                                X