Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Harvard Crimson 2019-2020 All Things Bright and Beautiful

Originally posted by bothman View Post
    Harvard looked good tonight, but gosh darn, Yale is awful. What is going on over there?

And Yale’s goalie will no doubt get suspended.

Love the new line combinations. About time!!
    I didn’t see the game. What did Yale’s goalie do that would merit a suspension?

Comment

Originally posted by PizzaRing View Post
      Hope the boys can get it together this weekend.

In the meantime, below is a link to a 1969 SI article on former BC great Tim Sheehy, older brother
      of Neil ( Harvard '83 ). Tim played for Snooks Kelley who didn't need no stinkin' Canadians on his BC teams back then... but in Tim's case he made an exception. Tim was an immense talent who went on to huge success at BC and the Olympics. Eventually he made it to the NHL for a while. Both Tim and Neil were born in Canada but raised in MN so they came to hold dual citizenship. Neil was a talent at Harvard, and a highly colorful character. He was one of those guys better suited to the NHL game of that era. He quickly carved out an enforcer role for the Flames, and later the Whalers and Caps. He was a beast, but he was also a solid defenseman. One note of trivia about Neil: He is one of two NHL players who wore the number 0 before the NHL banned that #. Very cool.

https://www.si.com/vault/1969/01/20/...DSd7tYiVc2LyE4
      Another bit of trivia regarding Neil Sheehy. He started his career as a center if you can believe it. Played a few games before Bill Cleary decided he was better suited as a D-man. Career changing move. Same thing with Don Sweeney only Sweeney started as a left winger before shifting to D.

Comment

Harvard looked good tonight, but gosh darn, Yale is awful. What is going on over there?

And Yale’s goalie will no doubt get suspended.

Love the new line combinations. About time!!
        Agree on all counts. Yale blows. They may be the worst team in the ECAC. Or the East for that matter. But you had to love how we came out with fire and passion and played until the final whistle. We went after them and forechecked them to death. Best game so far this season despite the weak opposition.

Congrats to Jack Drury on his hat trick - the first line was immense. They never stopped buzzing Yale's D and got some quality looks. I too like the new lines. More speed and hard on the forecheck.

I tuned out after the Crimson made it 7-0 (geez, RJ Murphy may never have an easier goal in his life!!) so I didn't see the fracas with the Yale goalie. I can't really blame him however. You'd be frustrated too if your team left you high and dry.

Bring on the Skating Saints!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Crimson Faced View Post
          Congrats to Colin Blackwell, who scored his first NHL goal last night. Really happy for him, a nice kid whose Harvard career was shortened by concussion issues. Glad to see him healthy and that he has played in the NHL, he was a hustling player who played hard every night.
          Feel the same way. Glad he is getting a shot to play. I was at the Preds-Bruins game before Christmas and Connor Clifton of the Bruins gave him a wicked smack behind the Bruins net. I'm guessing it was a bit of payback for the hit Colin put on Connor's twin brother in the ECAC playoffs. Hockey players have long memories.

Comment

Never seen a Harvard class (not all matriculating next year) show up this visibly and this high in NHL's midterm rankings:

Sean Farrell (Forward) - 53
            Ian Moore (Defenseman) - 57
            Alex Laferriere (Forward) - 68
            Kyle Aucoin (Defenseman) - 127
            Ryan Tverberg (Forward) - 122
            Trevor Kuntar (Forward) - 135
            Mason Langenbrunner (Defenseman) - 161
            Christian Jimenez (Defenseman) - 172

Comment

Never seen a Harvard class (not all matriculating next year) show up this visibly and this high in NHL's midterm rankings:

Sean Farrell (Forward) - 53
              Ian Moore (Defenseman) - 57
              Alex Laferriere (Forward) - 68
              Kyle Aucoin (Defenseman) - 127
              Ryan Tverberg (Forward) - 122
              Trevor Kuntar (Forward) - 135
              Mason Langenbrunner (Defenseman) - 161
              Christian Jimenez (Defenseman) - 172
              A lot of familiar names in there.

Comment

I'm not sure if anyone saw last night's game but the hit on Reilly Walsh was premeditated and deliberate. And for there not to be a penalty, a game misconduct and quite possibly a suspension is the height of hypocrisy. The officials took almost ten minutes to review and then call nothing? And Jack Donato gets a boarding call a few minutes later when the Clarkson player turtled. Unbelievable. Of course, consider who coaches Clarkson and you have your answer. Jones was a cheap shot artist when he played for Cornell and nothing has changed since.

If I'm the Harvard Coaching staff, I'm calling for a review and a suspension for the Clarkson player. I don't know how Walsh is doing but seeing him stagger to get up told you all you need to know.

I've lost complete faith in the ECAC as a conference. It's a sick joke. No player is safe, at least with these officials in charge.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
                  Jones was a cheap shot artist when he played for Cornell and nothing has changed since.
                  LOL. That's one of the silliest things I've ever read on USCHO.

F&F should be fun. Both teams have to worry about overlooking their Friday opponents. Dartmouth is our only loss. Colgate is good this year.

Until then, stay classy.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I'm not sure if anyone saw last night's game but the hit on Reilly Walsh was premeditated and deliberate. And for there not to be a penalty, a game misconduct and quite possibly a suspension is the height of hypocrisy. The officials took almost ten minutes to review and then call nothing? And Jack Donato gets a boarding call a few minutes later when the Clarkson player turtled. Unbelievable. Of course, consider who coaches Clarkson and you have your answer. Jones was a cheap shot artist when he played for Cornell and nothing has changed since.

If I'm the Harvard Coaching staff, I'm calling for a review and a suspension for the Clarkson player. I don't know how Walsh is doing but seeing him stagger to get up told you all you need to know.

I've lost complete faith in the ECAC as a conference. It's a sick joke. No player is safe, at least with these officials in charge.
                    I was shocked that the Clarkson player was not ejected. I thought it was a hit to the head and a dangerous one at that. But the officials and announcers felt differently.

This Harvard team is likely done:
                    - Strange coaching decisions all year - not mixing up lines during 1-5-2 stretch, not sitting players (Gregoire, Donato) after taking dumb penalties
                    - Gotta question the team leadership here which usually is counted on to right the ship in these situations
                    - Clarkson was such a winnable game; Why have last minute D call up playing major PK mins in 1st period against Clarkson?
                    - Harvard’s upperclassmen are really struggling (Walsh, Badini, Bowlby, Krusko, Gregoire, Donato, etc). This is a 2 class team at this point.

Comment

• Re: Harvard Crimson 2019-2020 All Things Bright and Beautiful

Watching the game it appeared that Clarkson was a lot more physical than Harvard and a lot of Harvard players got pushed to the ice along the boards with no calls.
                      I have no knowledge of the Clarkson coach's history so can't comment on that. The ECAC recently replaced Paul Stewart as head of officials with someone else. Until this year, at almost every game, either Paul Stewart or his assistant, Don Garcia were in the stands and would go down to the officials room between periods to talk with officials.

I have noticed that they seem to have stopped doing replays of goals and the calls on the Landry scoreboard. Maybe ECAC pressure or maybe the sports marketing people want to reserve the board for ads for Basketball tickets, renting the sadly defunct Boynton Lounge etc.

Comment

Cornell is celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Perfect Team with (rather nice) replica red sweaters this weekend, so Harvard will wear white tonight even though visitor.
                        Cornell University
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Harvard played great. Took the body, kept Cornell to outside, and really outplayed Cornell. The penalty on drury that Cornell cashed in on was horrendous. Cornell than trips walsh and runs Gornet in OT snd no whistle.

Regardless, hopefully something to build on where Harvard can go in a 4-5 game run.

Comment

It was a really soft call. Think of it as karmic payback for all of Wong's multiple uncalled murders.

The "run" of Gromet in ot was on a push in by a Harvard player. Even Teddy stopped whining after the ref explained it to him.

The Crimson played a fantastic game defensively. They studied the film of our game at Hanover where Gaudet pressured with an aggressive forecheck and took liberties when the officials weren't looking. It seemed to work. Each time it looked like we were finally getting into our game Harvard slowed things down and took the body and broke up our rhythm. They looked rather like an old Schafer team!

I think you guys will battle Q and D right down to the end for the last 2 byes. I'd say good luck but... nah.
                            Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              It was a really soft call. Think of it as karmic payback for all of Wong's multiple uncalled murders.

The "run" of Gromet in ot was on a push in by a Harvard player. Even Teddy stopped whining after the ref explained it to him.

The Crimson played a fantastic game defensively. They studied the film of our game at Hanover where Gaudet pressured with an aggressive forecheck and took liberties when the officials weren't looking. It seemed to work. Each time it looked like we were finally getting into our game Harvard slowed things down and took the body and broke up our rhythm. They looked rather like an old Schafer team!

I think you guys will battle Q and D right down to the end for the last 2 byes. I'd say good luck but... nah.
                              Harvard played a terrific defensive game and gave Cornell little space. By the same time token Harvard had very few grade A chances of its own. While you Harvard folks may complain about the penalty at the end of regulation, you should be thankful that the officials did not give Wong five minutes; we’ve seen far less egregious infractions called majors the past few weeks.

Comment

Harvard played great. Took the body, kept Cornell to outside, and really outplayed Cornell. The penalty on drury that Cornell cashed in on was horrendous. Cornell than trips walsh and runs Gornet in OT snd no whistle.

Regardless, hopefully something to build on where Harvard can go in a 4-5 game run.
                                This was a game we should have pocketed two points. But of course the Lynah curse came to the forefront and the refs just had to call a penalty. They just had to. No choice. Who wants to get stoned with dead fish and smell like a dock on the ride home?? Right?

Great D structure and game plan overall - where was this vs BC? And it sure made up for a rather lackluster effort against Colgate. Given that we're not getting a whole lot of contributions from the bottom six forwards (I'm being kind here), they should feel good about the effort and pressure.

And Kepler, I saw Jones play several times and he was an agitator and took liberties and shots at Crimson players whenever he could. I'll actually give him credit for being able to do it while the refs weren't looking. He had it down to an art form. And I am being classy when I say this. But I get that you bleed Red and that's fine. It's to be expected. Just try and take the blinders off once in a while. Nieuwendyk was the classiest player not named Dryden to skate for you guys.

Comment

Working...
                                X