Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Harvard Crimson 2019-2020 All Things Bright and Beautiful

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
    Oh swell. Like that just made my Christmas holiday complete.

At the beginning of the season, I picked the Crimson to finish seventh because I felt the combination of youth and experience with Marino and Fox jumping ship would be too much to handle. Then the Crimson got off to that hot start and I was about to change my mind. Until the last four games. We simply haven't done the little things that good teams do to win games. Like avoiding stupid penalties after gaining momentum. Or giving up a lead only a minute or so after taking that lead. Yes, these are all signs of inexperience but at the same time, when your most experienced defensman gets turnstiled for the winning goal in OT, it points to bigger problems. There's enough talent on this team to do better. How much remains to be seen. The coaches bear some of the responsibility here. A lousy way to go into Christmas break. Sorry I couldn't be more cheerful and upbeat but four game losing streaks tend to make me want to imbibe more spiked eggnog.
    Yup and Yup.

- Walsh lets a guy go in for the GWG without even breathing on him (would Donato consider moving him to wing and let Foley get a regular shift on D since I'm not sure that Walsh enjoys playing D?)
    - Rifai takes an offensive zone stupid penalty
    - Badini with a stupid boarding penalty
    - Bowlby continues to take lazy penalties (offensive zone last night) and turns the puck over again and again and again (like to see him moved down to 3rd line and let 2nd line comprise Murphy, Badini, and Farinacci)
    - Gregoire takes a dumb penalty
    - Thrun is playing like a deer in headlights these last 3-4 games

As for the coaching staff:
    - Need to work on breaking the puck out with an aggressive forecheck
    - Need to transform the D so that they (outside of Foley and Rathbone) are actually willing to take the body
    - Need to see more unselfish play (Rathbone)

The break could not come at a better time, but it doesn't get any easier with 2 at ASU after the 3 weeks off. ASU just beat Denver in two straight.

Comment

Walsh fell asleep letting the guy go around him for the score, but you had to feel sorry for him, he looked devastated.

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
        Yup and Yup.

- Walsh lets a guy go in for the GWG without even breathing on him (would Donato consider moving him to wing and let Foley get a regular shift on D since I'm not sure that Walsh enjoys playing D?)
        - Rifai takes an offensive zone stupid penalty
        - Badini with a stupid boarding penalty
        - Bowlby continues to take lazy penalties (offensive zone last night) and turns the puck over again and again and again (like to see him moved down to 3rd line and let 2nd line comprise Murphy, Badini, and Farinacci)
        - Gregoire takes a dumb penalty
        - Thrun is playing like a deer in headlights these last 3-4 games

As for the coaching staff:
        - Need to work on breaking the puck out with an aggressive forecheck
        - Need to transform the D so that they (outside of Foley and Rathbone) are actually willing to take the body
        - Need to see more unselfish play (Rathbone)

The break could not come at a better time, but it doesn't get any easier with 2 at ASU after the 3 weeks off. ASU just beat Denver in two straight.
        Interesting thought on Walsh. Why not try him up front since he clearly doesn't like the 'defensive' part of being a defenseman? It might also help his chances with NJ next year if he jumps ship. His offensive skill would really help the second line and I agree, put him with Badini and RJ Murphy and see what happens.

I'm not sure what's up with Bowlby. Dropping him to the third line might just be the wake-up call he needs. He is taking some really dumb penalties.

I'd give Foley more D time and maybe bring up Foskey or Azur? I think we're stuck with Rifai for now.

I've noticed some kids added to the roster in recent weeks - are they club team players that are spares? John Murray from Dorchester and Noble and Greenough and Jackson Hartje from Detroit Country Day. Both left shot D. Any info on them? Is Hartje the son of Tod Hartje?

Comment

I've noticed some kids added to the roster in recent weeks - are they club team players that are spares? John Murray from Dorchester and Noble and Greenough and Jackson Hartje from Detroit Country Day. Both left shot D. Any info on them? Is Hartje the son of Tod Hartje?
          Hartje is a three year club player and son of Tod:

https://www.eliteprospects.com/playe...jackson-hartje

Murray appears to be a walk-on:

https://www.eliteprospects.com/playe...40/john-murray

Doubtful they are anything more than practice players.

Comment

Harvard with a new forward recruit for the 2021-2022 season. Ryan Tverberg out of the Toronto Junior program. Played for Canada East for the U-19 WJAC.

Recruit tracker updated:
            https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=174036134

Comment

Drury makes World Junior team
              Last edited by bothman; 12-24-2019, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Harvard with a solid 4-1 win against Arizona State and goes for the sweep this afternoon. Great to regroup after a tough 4 game losing streak. Also good to see Austin Wong in the line-up and score Harvard's first goal. This is a kid who is going to bring goal scoring and grit (and depth to the 3rd line).

RJ Murphy is still out and Drury is at the World Juniors (Barring an unexpected setback, I don't expect Drury to play next weekend against Quinny and Princeton).

Comment

Well, the way it ended up will feel like a loss, but in the end, it's a tie and Harvard picks up 3 quality points on the road. This is a young team that is still finding itself, but this is something to build on. Started the weekend at 22 in the PWR and are now at 18.

Quinny and Princeton next weekend on the road. 3 points would be superb. Drury is unlikely next weekend, but let's hop RJ Murphy is back.

I would assume that Donato becomes the 13th forward when Harvard fully healthy.
                  Last edited by bothman; 12-30-2019, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Stick a fork in this team as I watch them play at Princeton. They are downright bad. Zero accountability and almost unwatchable.

Shore - offensive zone penalty, bad coverage in zone, can’t hit net
                    Rathbone - lazy, hero hockey and got toasted on Princeton SHG on just a dumb miscue
                    Bowlby - invisible
                    Gornet - terrible angle on SHG as he gave up too much of far side

Against a better team, Harvard would have given up 5 goals in the 2nd period.

Why does Donato not sit guys who are not accountable and play this way? Not sure I have seen a team regress in so many facets. Harvard is 1-5-2 in last 8 and not a single line change or sit a guy for a game who plays lazy hockey?
                    Last edited by bothman; 01-04-2020, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
                      Stick a fork in this team as I watch them play at Princeton. They are downright bad. Zero accountability and almost unwatchable.

Shore - offensive zone penalty, bad coverage in zone, can’t hit net
                      Rathbone - lazy, hero hockey and got toasted on Princeton SHG on just a dumb miscue
                      Bowlby - invisible
                      Gornet - terrible angle on SHG as he gave up too much of far side

Against a better team, Harvard would have given up 5 goals in the 2nd period.

Why does Donato not sit guys who are not accountable and play this way? Not sure I have seen a team regress in so many facets. Harvard is 1-5-2 in last 8 and not a single line change or sit a guy for a game who plays lazy hockey?
                      I don't have any answers to your questions. They played a great first period last night, then went to sleep the rest of the game. Too much individual play especially by Rathbone. He completely blew that play that led to the shortie. And yes, Gornet took a bad angle. I go back to the BC game and the breakdowns that took place after we grabbed the lead. We haven't been the same since. Team needs a kick in the pants ... sooner rather than later. Or we'll find ourselves playing the first round of the ECACs on the road.

Comment

They played a great first period last night, then went to sleep the rest of the game.
                        They did that against us on Friday as well. A totally different team in each period. They also seemed to be out of gas by the third which I thought was uncharacteristic.
                        Quinnipiac Bobcats
                        2023 National Champions
                        ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                        ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                        East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
                        Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
                        Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                        Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
                          They did that against us on Friday as well. A totally different team in each period. They also seemed to be out of gas by the third which I thought was uncharacteristic.
                          That is uncharacteristic of the team. Usually we are well conditioned.

Comment

Hope the boys can get it together this weekend.

In the meantime, below is a link to a 1969 SI article on former BC great Tim Sheehy, older brother
                            of Neil ( Harvard '83 ). Tim played for Snooks Kelley who didn't need no stinkin' Canadians on his BC teams back then... but in Tim's case he made an exception. Tim was an immense talent who went on to huge success at BC and the Olympics. Eventually he made it to the NHL for a while. Both Tim and Neil were born in Canada but raised in MN so they came to hold dual citizenship. Neil was a talent at Harvard, and a highly colorful character. He was one of those guys better suited to the NHL game of that era. He quickly carved out an enforcer role for the Flames, and later the Whalers and Caps. He was a beast, but he was also a solid defenseman. One note of trivia about Neil: He is one of two NHL players who wore the number 0 before the NHL banned that #. Very cool.

https://www.si.com/vault/1969/01/20/...DSd7tYiVc2LyE4
                            Coach: "Were you this #@&% slow when I recruited you??!!??"

Me: "I dunno...."

Coach: "I've GOT to quit drinkin' when I go to Alberta!!"

Comment

Congrats to Colin Blackwell, who scored his first NHL goal last night. Really happy for him, a nice kid whose Harvard career was shortened by concussion issues. Glad to see him healthy and that he has played in the NHL, he was a hustling player who played hard every night.

Comment

Harvard looked good tonight, but gosh darn, Yale is awful. What is going on over there?

And Yale’s goalie will no doubt get suspended.

Love the new line combinations. About time!!
                                Last edited by bothman; 01-12-2020, 12:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X