Harvard Crimson 2019-2020 All Things Bright and Beautiful

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
    Good win for the Crimson tonite. They seemed to take control as the game wore on. Gibson looks good again. On to Yale!
    Team looked good. Love the depth. Survived the morgue and now on to the whale. Should be a test to see if the Harvard youth can play their game and stay focused with a hostile crowd and a Yale team that will try to play physical and chippy.
    Last edited by bothman; 11-16-2019, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Re: Harvard Crimson 2019-2020 All Things Bright and Beautiful

Originally posted by PizzaRing View Post
      Enjoyed reading this article in Crimson recently: https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2...ental-illness/

Derek was very brave in addressing a challenge that many face.
      TPB battled it as well recently, as have other guys in the program in the past.
      Good that Derek gave voice and background to this experience so that others may be less
      inclined to suffer alone in the margins. And good that Teddy encourages his players to get the help they
      need.

Thanks, Derek, and Godspeed.
      What a brave article, and what a great example for others suffering from depression. Get help. I have and am able to live a "normal" (for me) life.
      . . . still crazy after all these years. . .

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
        His dad is Cornell grad
        Both dad and mom. Poor parenting...
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Pretty solid weekend. Stuff to work on, but getting production up and down the lineup. The delta in skill between Harvard and Yale was large and it will increase next year with who Harvard has coming in. Gornet was outstanding and let’s hope Walsh shook off the slow start.

RPI on Friday up in Troy. Should be a good one.

Comment

Dec 6 is looming large, for the Ivy, ECAC, and NCAA races. Cornell had 10 different goal scorers on their 10 goals in the North Country, yet still has 2 guys at 2 pts per game. Surprisingly, the one area Schafer needs to tighten up is the PK. Cornell has only given up 4 even strength goals in 6 games, so once they fix the PK, look out.

What say we make a deal to meet as undefeateds for the game of the year?
            If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
              Pretty solid weekend. Stuff to work on, but getting production up and down the lineup. The delta in skill between Harvard and Yale was large and it will increase next year with who Harvard has coming in. Gornet was outstanding and let’s hope Walsh shook off the slow start.

RPI on Friday up in Troy. Should be a good one.
              Agree. My takeaways from last night.

1. Gornet was outstanding as you say. Stood on his head and made at least 10 or 12 outstanding saves. This was not a 6-1 game for those of you who didn't see the game. The Crimson finally broke out in the third period starting with Reilly Walsh's PP tally but for two periods, I was nervous.

2. Yale's D is atrocious. Their giveaways were inexcusable, particularly the Krushko goal where the Yale player was so casual, he let Krushko have two chances at the helpless goalie. Where was the rest of the team? They'll be lucky to win six games this year if they keep playing like they did last night.

3. Harvard had some D lapses of their own and were too often caught standing around watching the Eli. That can't happen against BU or BC. And why on earth didn't we put more offensive zone pressure on the Yale D? As previously mentioned, Yale had more turnovers than my local bakery down the street. This easily could have been a 10-1 game.

4. The PK was aggressive in creating their own opportunities and they seem to be turning a corner there. PP still looks woeful and needs some work.

5. I would move Ryan Siedam down to the third pairing. He seems to be struggling a bit which is natural given that he is a frosh. Thrun seems like he is adapting quicker. Move Foley up to pair with Rathbone. Gives them size and speed.

5. I believe this is the first time in Harvard hockey history that both the men and women are off to a 5-0 start. Each has done it in prior seasons but not together I think. Haven't done a thorough check on it - it's a nice tidbit if true.

On to the Engineers in Troy. Never easy there but I'm hoping we'll be ready to go from the drop of the puck.

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                Dec 6 is looming large, for the Ivy, ECAC, and NCAA races. Cornell had 10 different goal scorers on their 10 goals in the North Country, yet still has 2 guys at 2 pts per game. Surprisingly, the one area Schafer needs to tighten up is the PK. Cornell has only given up 4 even strength goals in 6 games, so once they fix the PK, look out.

What say we make a deal to meet as undefeateds for the game of the year?
                Deal. Although it really doesn't matter because of the history. It will be a barnburner ... it always is. Tough that the game comes on the eve of reading period but it will provide a decent study break.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
                  Deal. Although it really doesn't matter because of the history. It will be a barnburner ... it always is. Tough that the game comes on the eve of reading period but it will provide a decent study break.
                  What say we make a deal to meet as undefeateds for the game of the year in Lake Placid?
                  Cornell University
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Definitely plenty of reason to be excited this year, and looking out into the future … Can’t do any better than 5-0-0, but given the relatively woeful RPIs of those teams, I think we will know a lot more when we go to bed on 12/6 with BC and Cornell games in the books at that point.
                    One of the things that I find the most encouraging about this iteration is the balanced scoring, and the production from forwards. The last Harvard team that I thought was legit was the 2016-17 team with seniors Moy/Kerfoot/Malone (and underclassmen Fox and Donato …). That team had 5 point-per-game forwards, and 1 PPG D (Fox), which I think of as the kind of stats/balance on a real contender. In the 2 years since, Harvard only had 2 PPG players – and one of those was Fox last year (and he put up a season for the ages). At the moment, Harvard has 10 PPG players – 7 F’s and 3D. That is frightening.
                    I’m not saying there will be 10 PPG players at the end of the year, but I bet it’s as many or more than the 2016-17 team. I’d be semi-shocked if Walsh and Rathbone don’t get there, and both of them seem poised to chip in plenty of goals (Walsh on the PP is lethal – deadly one-timer, but also makes some incredible passes that you just don’t see D make).
                    And not one of those 10 PPG players is a senior! When the coach’s kid leaves early to squeak into the NHL it would be hard to knock anyone else for doing the same, but even with some of Bothman’s projected departures (Walsh after this year; Rathbone after next), given that depth and the pipeline (Matt Beniers …), this could be fun to watch the next few years.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      Both dad and mom. Poor parenting...
                      ha. actually from what i heard, Cornell was among his first choices. It did not work out.
                      GO NU HOCKEY
                      Always bullish on the future.
                      We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
                        ha. actually from what i heard, Cornell was among his first choices. It did not work out.
                        Admissions requirements are a b-tch.
                        Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          What say we make a deal to meet as undefeateds for the game of the year in Lake Placid?
                          Hmm, that might be tougher. Would mean that both Cornell-Crimson games end in ties. Not sure I like that. On the other hand, Lake Placid, winner take all, the scene of some of our best triumphs over the Red. Okay, I'll buy that.

Comment

Originally posted by crimsoncat View Post
                            And not one of those 10 PPG players is a senior! When the coach’s kid leaves early to squeak into the NHL it would be hard to knock anyone else for doing the same, but even with some of Bothman’s projected departures (Walsh after this year; Rathbone after next), given that depth and the pipeline (Matt Beniers …), this could be fun to watch the next few years.
                            So last season I had the chance to sit with Reilly's parents and they told me that he is determined to play all four years. Of course things can change if the Devils make him an offer he can't refuse but I got the sense that he's committed to seeing it through. Hope so.

Comment

Thoughts and observations after watching what passed for a hockey game I suppose:

1. First and foremost, here's hoping that Mitchell Gibson was not hurt too badly. With Schaedig on medical leave, not sure who backs up Gornet. I didn't see anyone else on the roster. Tough place to be with games against BU, BC and Cornell on the horizon.

2. This game resembled the Dartmouth game in that Harvard's D was so lazy and loose with their coverage that RPI had free reign to do whatever they wanted in the Harvard zone. If the Engineers had more talent up front, Harvard might have lost this game. The Crimson sloppiness and lack of structure allowed RPI to control the puck for what looked like a two minute power play in the third period. Even though it was 5 on 5. The coaching staff has had three weeks to figure this out and I'm not sure what the issue is but they better get it cleaned up pronto.

3. First line was immense and congrats to Casey Dornbach on his hat trick. The Engineers had no answer for them. Dornbach is starting to remind me of Tyler Moy and this line is going to be fun to watch in the coming years.

4. Third D pairing didn't play all that much and when they did, it looked like Reilly Walsh double shifted. I didn't see a lot of Ben Foley and wasn't sure why. He skated towards the end of the game and was on the bench the whole time. Curious.

5. This was an up and down game with a bundle of turnovers by both teams. Undisciplined at times and often careless with the puck. The Crimson's speed and talent won out but this is not a game I would put on a highlight reel unless it was used as a teaching tool.

Time for our HE brethren.

Comment

What happened to Gibson?
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X