Harvard Crimson 2019-2020 All Things Bright and Beautiful

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Harvard Crimson 2019-2020 All Things Bright and Beautiful

Hard to believe Krushko was MVP of the Beanpot his freshman year.

Good line by the SL announcer at the end of the game: "Do you believe in Senior night? Yes!!!"

Comment

Okay, so that's a wrap. We play next weekend and we deserve to finish out of the top four. In our last 21 games, we finished 7-10-4. Subtracting the Beanpot, 7-8-4 which still is mediocre. Yes, we're young and inexperienced but that does not account for losing games to SLU and RPI. Especially when they knew what was at stake.

I guess the only siliver lining in this cloud is the fact that we get some measure of payback having to play SLU at Bright-Landry next weekend. If the team doesn't come out and blow the Saints out in two straight, then shame on them.

Comment

The season does feel like a disappointment. As a long-time season ticket holder, I am struck by the year in, year out reality that many players don't develop during their time here at Harvard. The Harvard players clearly take their studies seriously, and that is a good thing. There is more to life on campus than playing hockey. I think it is great they are such an academically strong team. I wish the students supported them more. I like how Szeto's housemates showed up last night.

I realize after 30 years in the stands that they are only likely to be a dominate team every now and then. But it disappoints me when they don't fulfill their potential, after flashing it early in the year.

I took pictures last night (amateur) and they are posted here
        https://flic.kr/s/aHsmLHPdEZ

Comment

The photos just posted of the Union game were great. You might think of sharing them with the team

Comment

Originally posted by SheLovesCollegeHockey View Post
            The season does feel like a disappointment. As a long-time season ticket holder, I am struck by the year in, year out reality that many players don't develop during their time here at Harvard. The Harvard players clearly take their studies seriously, and that is a good thing. There is more to life on campus than playing hockey. I think it is great they are such an academically strong team. I wish the students supported them more. I like how Szeto's housemates showed up last night.

I realize after 30 years in the stands that they are only likely to be a dominate team every now and then. But it disappoints me when they don't fulfill their potential, after flashing it early in the year.

Agree, great photos. And you should share them with Hockey Operations so that they can use them on the GoCrimson website.

Comment

• Originally posted by SheLovesCollegeHockey View Post

The regular season certainly was a disappointment - partially due to the surprisingly strong start and coupled with the lack of improvement in key areas (offensive zone penalties, challenged to create opportunities in 5v5, giving opponents way to much space to operate in our zone, and not enough guys willing to pay the price between the dots). Nothing could have illuminated this team’s season more than these last two weekends of hockey.

But alas, there is a post season and there is maybe a glimmer of hope that perhaps Harvard, with its back against the wall, might be able to bring a consistency, persistence, and cohesion that has not delivered from night to night.

With all due respect to SLU, Harvard should be win these games going away. Harvard has a huge talent disparity advantage and is playing at home.

So let’s see what this weekend brings.....

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
                The regular season certainly was a disappointment - partially due to the surprisingly strong start and coupled with the lack of improvement in key areas (offensive zone penalties, challenged to create opportunities in 5v5, giving opponents way to much space to operate in our zone, and not enough guys willing to pay the price between the dots). Nothing could have illuminated this team’s season more than these last two weekends of hockey.

But alas, there is a post season and there is maybe a glimmer of hope that perhaps Harvard, with its back against the wall, might be able to bring a consistency, persistence, and cohesion that has not delivered from night to night.

With all due respect to SLU, Harvard should be win these games going away. Harvard has a huge talent disparity advantage and is playing at home.

So let’s see what this weekend brings.....
                Your wrap was better than mine. The 5 on 5 bugs me too. We have the talent to do better - something is missing. Accountability, persistence, lack of discipline, all of the above. I'm not sure but I know this; they are going to have to find a better formula and more consistency from the get-go starting Friday night. SLU has nothing to lose so they can play it loose and easy. No one expects them to do anything.

Comment

I don't know if it was the sparse crowd (and who can blame anyone these days for avoiding public gatherings?) but last night felt like it was a sleepwalk. Harvard seemed bored to tears with little or no energy. Again, maybe it was the crowd or lack thereof and the growing unease regarding Covid19. Hard to say. I just feel like the team is going through the motions instead of taking charge and steamrolling the Saints. This game should not have been that close.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
                    I don't know if it was the sparse crowd (and who can blame anyone these days for avoiding public gatherings?) but last night felt like it was a sleepwalk. Harvard seemed bored to tears with little or no energy. Again, maybe it was the crowd or lack thereof and the growing unease regarding Covid19. Hard to say. I just feel like the team is going through the motions instead of taking charge and steamrolling the Saints. This game should not have been that close.
                    For those who were not there, when he says sparse, he means very very sparse. The total crowd in an arena holding 3000 was between 200 and 250. Tops!!

I was at the women's 1st round games last week and the crowds at each game were much larger for the women.

Sports marketing seems to ignore men's hockey and constantly pushes basketball to the front. The band used to be a help building enthusiasm at the hockey games but are very rarely seen in Bright-Landry as they are needed at basketball games.
                    Last edited by Veritas; 03-07-2020, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas View Post
                      For those who were not there, when he says sparse, he means very very sparse. The total crowd in an arena holding 3000 was between 200 and 250. Tops!!

I was at the women's 1st round games last week and the crowds at each game were much larger for the women.

Sports marketing seems to ignore men's hockey and constantly pushes basketball to the front. The band used to be a help building enthusiasm at the hockey games but are very rarely seen in Bright-Landry as they are needed at basketball games.
                      All true. Whenever the puck hit the boards you could hear the echo. It has to be dispiriting for the players to see almost no one in the stands. I was trying to be kind about it.

We finally got untracked last night and hopefully this carries over to next weekend in Troy. We actually seem to play better on the road at least this season so maybe it's not such a bad thing that we have to go to their barn. We'll see...

In other news, Alex Killorn '12 reached a milestone last week in his career. First time he has scored 20 or more goals professionally. I remember speaking to the Tampa scouts who were in attendance during his senior season and they felt confident that he would make the big club as a third liner. He's come a long way in eight years.

Comment

Interesting commentary during a fight in the Bruins game yesterday. The guy said, "Kuraly manhandles Killorn. Take your Harvard degree and take it to the hospital!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wtrw...=youtu.be&t=32

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas View Post
                          Next week's series will be even more sparse: Zero. https://twitter.com/slapschotts/stat...02794649870336

Comment

Yes, there weren't many people there. But I was, and I took pictures again. I'm getting the hang of it. I got a picture of that crazy Wong - Drury connection in the third period. You'll have to scroll down -- the pass and the shot. All those power plays helped our cause. Wong had a nice game.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/janeeh...h/49635007433/

Comment

Originally posted by NPC19850330 View Post
                              Next week's series will be even more sparse: Zero. https://twitter.com/slapschotts/stat...02794649870336
                              Yup, just saw this. Has to be incredibly disappointing for RPI fans but better safe than sorry. Health departments are being overwhelmed with calls for help.

Comment

Originally posted by ecachawkeyfan View Post
                                Interesting commentary during a fight in the Bruins game yesterday. The guy said, "Kuraly manhandles Killorn. Take your Harvard degree and take it to the hospital!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wtrw...=youtu.be&t=32
                                What else is a UNH grad going to say?? Yeah, we're all crying in our chardonnay.

Comment

Working...
                                X