Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Harvard Crimson 2019-2020 All Things Bright and Beautiful

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
    As best I can. And I have done and will continue to do admissions interviewing for candidates to future classes. So I think I have a pretty good handle on the expectations. And I have spoken to the coaches. Athletic scholarships are nothing to sneeze at with the cost of a college education going through the roof. They routinely tell me that a recruit gets a package from a competing non-Ivy school that his/her parents can't ignore for financial reasons. And while our financial aid is attractive, that part of the equation doesn't kick in until AFTER the decision is made. If a recruit commits to Harvard while they are a freshman or sophomore in high school, we can't guarantee anything in terms of money until after all the application paperwork is submitted and reviewed. To my understanding, schools like BC, BU, Stanford and others can make those offers if they are chasing the same recruit. This is what I have been told so it isn't nonsense.
    I had not thought of the impact timing has on the admissions process. It makes good sense that a hockey family would not want to risk losing a full ride at a reputable college for a possible admission to Harvard and a need based scholarship that could be partial.

Comparing Harvard to any other non Ivy hockey school is like comparing apples to oranges in that the institutional missions and culture are so different.

Sadly at most D-1 athletic programs, the schools where big money sports dominate and certain coaches are lavishly compensated, the ideal of the student athlete is pure fiction. Varsity Blues brought to life the systemic corruption in big time college sports. Harvard will normally not compete at that high level, but for me that is what makes Harvard so special and those relatively rare years when we win the Beanpot, win the ECAC and even the NCAA tournaments even sweeter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have become increasingly concerned with some of the dangerous penalties given Austin and unnecessary offensive zone penalties to Henry. Hopefully dropping Austin to the 4th line will sends a meaningful message. Not sure why RJ was the 13th skater at Hanover. Fingers crossed versus BC.

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
        Yes it was. 1 NHL player ( Alex Killorn)
        recruit coming in != recruit going out ... doesn't disprove the point ... there were plenty of high-end recruits coming in. How they went, is another story.

Comment

Two ways of looking at last night's game. Maybe three. 1. Yale choked away 2 points late in the third period. 2. Harvard earned a point they didn't deserve given the way they played for most of the game. or 3. If not for Kasperski in OT, Harvard would have netted the extra point which we need desperately to avoid having to play the first weekend of the playoffs.

Disappointing is too soft a word for how I feel about last night. Just don't understand how the team can play lights out up at Lynah yet come out against Yale and play undisciplined, lazy and unfocused. Maybe it's the youth? Coaching certainly deserves a share of the blame pie.

We will have to take three points next weekend on the North Country trip and then sweep RPI and Union at home. That's of course assuming we take care of Brown tonight. I'm not holding my breath.

Comment

• Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
            Two ways of looking at last night's game. Maybe three. 1. Yale choked away 2 points late in the third period. 2. Harvard earned a point they didn't deserve given the way they played for most of the game. or 3. If not for Kasperski in OT, Harvard would have netted the extra point which we need desperately to avoid having to play the first weekend of the playoffs.

Disappointing is too soft a word for how I feel about last night. Just don't understand how the team can play lights out up at Lynah yet come out against Yale and play undisciplined, lazy and unfocused. Maybe it's the youth? Coaching certainly deserves a share of the blame pie.

We will have to take three points next weekend on the North Country trip and then sweep RPI and Union at home. That's of course assuming we take care of Brown tonight. I'm not holding my breath.
            Tonight was worse. Shameful and indifferent performance. Is it April yet?

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
              Tonight was worse. Shameful and indifferent performance. Is it April yet?
              Not yet but I agree with you. Could not believe they failed to deliver two points last night. The sloppiness, indecision, pass when they should shoot, shoot when they should pass, it goes on and on. By this time, the team should have ironed out these problems. Clearly something is not getting through. No accountability as there are too many passengers and not enough drivers. Drury and Abruzzese seem to be the only ones displaying any sort of urgency.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
                Not yet but I agree with you. Could not believe they failed to deliver two points last night. The sloppiness, indecision, pass when they should shoot, shoot when they should pass, it goes on and on. By this time, the team should have ironed out these problems. Clearly something is not getting through. No accountability as there are too many passengers and not enough drivers. Drury and Abruzzese seem to be the only ones displaying any sort of urgency.
                Seems to me several players brought a sense of urgency just not coordinated or even mature urgency. Too many “urgent” penalties and poorly executed plays. Drury misfired on 2 or 3 open net opportunities. His timing along with Wong and Walsh was way off.

I’m impressed with the first line including Dornbach. Interesting also to see Kerfoot and Shore on the 2nd line up from 13th skater and 3rd line respectively. Teddy is jugging lines looking for improved chemistry. When the season got off to a great start with 6 wins the expected season of rebuilding seemed misplaced. Turned out this is absolutely a year to rebuild and gain experience. Ever wonder what a difference it would have made if either Fox or Marino or both played one more season? A better mix of senior veterans I am sure would have added ballast to keep the ship upright.

Comment

Okay, I didn't see tonight coming at all. Clarkson looked ordinary until midway through the third period and by then it was too late. The Crimson's structure and forecheck in the first two periods kept the Knights bottled up. Wish Harvard would play this way more often. Two great games at Cornell and Clarkson yet we coughed up points last weekend against Yale and Brown. Frustrating.

And what was the over/under for mentioning the Teddy Toss for Clarkson's Senior Night? Geez, give it a rest. I'm sure the town of Potsdam will buy out the local CVS just to make sure. Beyond irritating.

Comment

Okay, I didn't see tonight coming at all. Clarkson looked ordinary until midway through the third period and by then it was too late. The Crimson's structure and forecheck in the first two periods kept the Knights bottled up. Wish Harvard would play this way more often. Two great games at Cornell and Clarkson yet we coughed up points last weekend against Yale and Brown. Frustrating.

And what was the over/under for mentioning the Teddy Toss for Clarkson's Senior Night? Geez, give it a rest. I'm sure the town of Potsdam will buy out the local CVS just to make sure. Beyond irritating.
                    What a jekkel and Hyde team.

Will say that Badini has found his game and Harvard becomes much more dangerous with that line clicking.

4 pts in the North Country would be something...
                    Last edited by bothman; 02-22-2020, 01:29 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by bothman View Post
                      What a jekkel and Hyde team.

Will say that Badini has found his game and Harvard becomes much more dangerous with that line clicking.

4 pts in the North Country would be something...
                      Idk what the heck is going on at Appleton, but it must not be the team that I watched dismantle Clarkson last night.

Comment

Originally posted by CLKHockey View Post
                        Idk what the heck is going on at Appleton, but it must not be the team that I watched dismantle Clarkson last night.
                        As Bothman correctly pointed out, a Jekyll and Hyde team. But losing 5-1 to SLU is unacceptable. I can't watch the rest of this game. Team just doesn't seem to want to put it into the necessary gear to win the games they should win. And really, I think they're going to lose their quarterfinal series assuming they get a bye. I have zero faith this team can string together any consistent efforts going forward. In fact I think they could lose both games next weekend at Bright. Teddy needs to really give it to them this week but good. Hard practices and a lot of film work.

Comment

As Bothman correctly pointed out, a Jekyll and Hyde team. But losing 5-1 to SLU is unacceptable. I can't watch the rest of this game. Team just doesn't seem to want to put it into the necessary gear to win the games they should win. And really, I think they're going to lose their quarterfinal series assuming they get a bye. I have zero faith this team can string together any consistent efforts going forward. In fact I think they could lose both games next weekend at Bright. Teddy needs to really give it to them this week but good. Hard practices and a lot of film work.

Jekyll and Hyde indeed. it’s 5-3 now and Crimson are knocking on the door for their 4th. I desperately want them to come back and take this win from SLU. When you hate em, you hate em lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by CLKHockey View Post
                            Shouldn’t-a eaten at the Canton Pizza Hut last night....
                            If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                              Shouldn’t-a eaten at the Canton Pizza Hut last night....

Haha! There’s only one place to get your pizza or a fat bag if you do a north country trip, and that’s POTSDAM Sergi’s..

It took Harvard forever to get going, but if they had 10 more minutes the outcome would have been different. Despite this blip, I think they are still poised to do some damage. Not looking forward to seeing them in Placid for a possible 3rd year in a row. That Freshman class is good.

Comment

A few random thoughts after last night's train wreck.

1. The SLU announcer incorrectly stated that the Crimson have three seniors on their roster. Counting Cam Gornet and Justin Szeto, it is actually five but his point about the youth of the team is well taken. The Crimson are absent on-ice leadership as the four forwards (Krushko, Gregoire, Szeto and Kerfoot) are role players and are not counted on for heavy minutes. That is why it is puzzling that Teddy doesn't turn to more of his juniors. They can't be any worse than the players who are lacing them up at the moment. At least that is what I want to believe.

2. Too many passengers, not enough drivers. Beyond the first line, here are the numbers for the remaining forwards:

Colton Kerfoot: 3G, 5A, 27G
                                RJ Murphy: 6G, 5A, 19G
                                Jack Donato: 4G, 0A 27G
                                Nathan Krushko: 3G, 3A 27G
                                John Farinacci: 8G, 12A, 27G
                                Justin Szeto: 0G, 1A, 11G
                                Baker Shore: 2G, 3A, 27G
                                Jack Badini: 6G, 8A, 27G
                                Henry Bowlby: 6G, 7A, 27G
                                Austin Wong: 2G, 0A, 17G

This isn't getting it done IMHO. The Crimson need more from their second and third lines. Farinacci and Murphy have been good players and I'd like to see them on a line with Badini and leave them there.

3. Lack of on-ice chemistry. The constant shuffling of lines has no doubt contributed to the poor totals from above. Having said that, it doesn't explain the lack of production completely. There is something missing from this team - maybe it is the youth and experience or lack of leadership. But this is where the coaches have to step in. We are celebrating the 40th anniversary this weekend of the Miracle on Ice and while that was a once in a lifetime achievement, the point is that coaching matters where you have young talent and no veteran leadership. They should be getting more from this team.

RPI is breathing down our necks and if we want the week off, we'll need a win over the Engineers on Friday.
                                Last edited by Skate79; 02-23-2020, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X