Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Harvard Crimson 2019-2020 All Things Bright and Beautiful

Originally posted by bothman View Post
    I think Harvard should unseat Cornell (likely not next year due to Cornell's strong current Junior class), but in the years thereafter, similar to where things were a few years back when Harvard made its Frozen Four run.
    Anything's possible but our Freshman class is better than our Junior class. It took Mike a long time to change to recruiting speed and skill over size, but he's crossed the Rubicon. Harvard may join us but I don't think we're going to fall back.

In any case, Clarkson and Q may have something to say about it.

Martins was a very good player. He had a rough edge but that's fine if you can also justify your roster slot with something more than being there to damage the other team's assets. Melrose was just a POS. I've only seen Wong play twice so I don't know where he falls, but to see Harvard's own fans complaining about him gives me an idea.
    Last edited by Kepler; 02-06-2020, 10:50 AM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      Anything's possible but our Freshman class is better than our Junior class. It took Mike a long time to change to recruiting speed and skill over size, but he's crossed the Rubicon. Harvard may join us but I don't think we're going to fall back.

In any case, Clarkson and Q may have something to say about it.

Martins was a very good player. He had a rough edge but that's fine if you can also justify your roster slot with something more than being there to damage the other team's assets. Melrose was just a POS. I've only seen Wong play twice so I don't know where he falls, but to see Harvard's own fans complaining about him gives me an idea.
      I like Harvard frosh > Cornell frosh with Abruzesse being the best of the lot. But let's re-visit this coversation in 3 years......

Next year, there is no comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by Scoop85 View Post
        This is silly. While Harvard's had the occasional lean year, they are now recruiting at a level essentially equal to BU and BC, so there's no reason they can't compete nationally, let alone the Beanpot. As a Cornell guy, I just hope Cornell can somewhat keep up.
        Oh please get real. We can't compete against BC or BU because we don't offer athletic scholarships and we try and avoid the one and dones. Occasional lean year? Did you watch us between '07 and '14? Those were some bad hockey teams. Not until Vesey and company came aboard and Paul Pearl joined the coaching staff did the program turn around.

Comment

Final score tonight was not representative of the game. After Harvard took a 3-1 lead, they sort of put it in cruise control and the Green came out with their hair on fire in the third period. Drury's goal was a thing of beauty and the final two scores were icing on the cake. But this one does not make any highlight reel and there was plenty to dissect and fix. We have to do a much better job on the breakouts. Too sloppy in our own zone.

I would rest the Drury line for Monday's night's consolation game. No sense in taking any chances. Our chances of making the tournament rest pretty much on winning the ECAC tournament so let's focus on the conference, get a bye and take our chances in Lake Placid.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
            Oh please get real. We can't compete against BC or BU because we don't offer athletic scholarships and we try and avoid the one and dones. Occasional lean year? Did you watch us between '07 and '14? Those were some bad hockey teams. Not until Vesey and company came aboard and Paul Pearl joined the coaching staff did the program turn around.
            Do you happen to follow recruiting? You can peddle this we don't give scholarships nonsense but Harvard has been doing very well in recruiting even if they don't go after one and done players. Harvard was certainly better than BC the last couple years and was in the FF more recently than BC/BU. You can compete just fine.

Comment

• Harvard Crimson 2019-2020 All Things Bright and Beautiful

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
              Do you happen to follow recruiting? You can peddle this we don't give scholarships nonsense but Harvard has been doing very well in recruiting even if they don't go after one and done players. Harvard was certainly better than BC the last couple years and was in the FF more recently than BC/BU. You can compete just fine.
              Agreed. Besides, Harvard’s financial aid program is much more attractive than the typical athletic based scholarship that most schools including BC and BU offer. Like all accepted students at Harvard athletes are awarded scholarships based on need. Unlike sports based scholarship programs Harvard students keep their funding even if they choose not to play or can’t play due to injury. This, plus the inherent value of a Harvard AB degree, is incredibly attractive to a young talented athlete, not to mention their parents who likely take a longer view that includes life after hockey.

That said from the standpoint of hockey talent Harvard’s higher academic standards is certainly a competitive disadvantage. Most athletes, like most students in general, end up elsewhere. Harvard thankfully was not caught up in the Varsity Blues scandal simply because it’s that much harder to make it academically with or without athletic skill. There are quite a few NHL players who applied and would have accepted an offer to play at Harvard if they were admitted. Given the relative position of sports to academics at Harvard, the school does relatively well in athletic competition across all 41 different team sports based in the Ivy League.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Last edited by HUJFKLINE; 02-08-2020, 06:39 AM.

Comment

--No American College is More Affordable
                Concerned about the cost of college? Let's cut to the chase: you can afford Harvard. Our application process is entirely need-blind, which means that applying for financial aid will have no impact on your admissions decision.

--If your family's income is less than $65,000, you'll pay nothing.

--Families who earn more than $150,000 may still qualify for financial aid

--For families who earn between $65,000 and $150,000, the expected contribution is between zero and ten percent of your annual income

STOP ALREADY WITH THE NO ATHLETIC SCHOLARSHIP!!!! HARVARD NEED BASED GIFTS COVER ALL OF THIS!!!!
                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                  As best I can. And I have done and will continue to do admissions interviewing for candidates to future classes. So I think I have a pretty good handle on the expectations. And I have spoken to the coaches. Athletic scholarships are nothing to sneeze at with the cost of a college education going through the roof. They routinely tell me that a recruit gets a package from a competing non-Ivy school that his/her parents can't ignore for financial reasons. And while our financial aid is attractive, that part of the equation doesn't kick in until AFTER the decision is made. If a recruit commits to Harvard while they are a freshman or sophomore in high school, we can't guarantee anything in terms of money until after all the application paperwork is submitted and reviewed. To my understanding, schools like BC, BU, Stanford and others can make those offers if they are chasing the same recruit. This is what I have been told so it isn't nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                    --No American College is More Affordable
                    Concerned about the cost of college? Let's cut to the chase: you can afford Harvard. Our application process is entirely need-blind, which means that applying for financial aid will have no impact on your admissions decision.

--If your family's income is less than $65,000, you'll pay nothing.

--Families who earn more than $150,000 may still qualify for financial aid

--For families who earn between $65,000 and $150,000, the expected contribution is between zero and ten percent of your annual income

STOP ALREADY WITH THE NO ATHLETIC SCHOLARSHIP!!!! HARVARD NEED BASED GIFTS COVER ALL OF THIS!!!!
                    Mookie, read my post. I work with admissions folks and have spoken to the coaches in part because of this very question. I've had parents ask me flat out what they can expect from Harvard versus getting a free ride from BC or BU. THERE ARE NO GUARANTEES and this is something that we are told to pass along to the prospective athlete and their parents. Yes, it is need based and blind to the applicant but we cannot say for certain when the kid is in ninth grade that he is going to get a free ride. Got it?

Comment

Yes, it is need based and blind to the applicant but we cannot say for certain when the kid is in ninth grade that he is going to get a free ride. Got it?
                      parents may hit the lottery, sure. Harvard Mgmt exec may one day embezzle all the endowment to panama and leave Harvard penniless, sure.

outside of these two scenarios however, one only has to look at what mookie pulled from the Harvard webpage above to see what their prospects are going to be.

all that being said, skate79's honesty in dealing with mrs. hockey mom is commendable.

Comment

Like the line changes from last night. It's about time!

I have not seen Badini play with that kind of urgency and pace in months. Dornbach on that line will create more chances.

I don't expect Harvard to beat BC on Monday night, but Harvard was up 2-0 and in control until Badini took that bad penalty so we shall see.

Comment

Final score tonight was not representative of the game. After Harvard took a 3-1 lead, they sort of put it in cruise control and the Green came out with their hair on fire in the third period. Drury's goal was a thing of beauty and the final two scores were icing on the cake. But this one does not make any highlight reel and there was plenty to dissect and fix. We have to do a much better job on the breakouts. Too sloppy in our own zone.

I would rest the Drury line for Monday's night's consolation game. No sense in taking any chances. Our chances of making the tournament rest pretty much on winning the ECAC tournament so let's focus on the conference, get a bye and take our chances in Lake Placid.
                          Recruiting was not the problem in those lean pre-PAUL PEARL years.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyFanClub View Post
                            Recruiting was not the problem in those lean pre-PAUL PEARL years.
                            Yes it was. 1 NHL player ( Alex Killorn)

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
                              Yes it was. 1 NHL player ( Alex Killorn)
                              wha?!?!?

pretty sure a couple of the biega kids played in the nhl.
                              and the frenchie who left after a year played parts of a couple season.

lets deal in facts

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                                wha?!?!?

pretty sure a couple of the biega kids played in the nhl.
                                and the frenchie who left after a year played parts of a couple season.

lets deal in facts
                                Define “play”. Journeyman AHL players with occasional call up?

Comment

Working...
                                X