Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harvard Crimson 2019-2020 All Things Bright and Beautiful

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
    This is the first I've heard that Final Clubs impact voting for team captains? Not sure how one influences the other and would be interested to learn about the rule change. When I was at school, Final Clubs had nothing to do with athletics. That said, Reilly Walsh if he returns would be a logical choice for captain. Other possibilities: Jack Donato or Jack Drury.
    I agree there are several great candidates to be captain. However, the College has new rules that I believe take effect this coming season making members of single gender social organizations ineligible as team captains and certain other honors such as receiving nominations to compete for opportunities like the Rhodes Scholarship. I don’t know if this is accurate but one alumnus I was talking to at the end of the season suggested only one rising senior and one junior will qualify and they are not necessarily going to be playing much next year. Seems this raises an issue where the guy with the “C” has an important role to play on ice communicating with the referees and in general as team leader.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by HUJFKLINE; 05-07-2020, 07:34 AM.

Comment

• Re: Harvard Crimson 2019-2020 All Things Bright and Beautiful

Ryan Healey and Bobby Landry to Harvard - not sure if definitive, but have heard rumors.

Comment

Originally posted by HUJFKLINE View Post
        I agree there are several great candidates to be captain. However, the College has new rules that I believe take effect this coming season making members of single gender social organizations ineligible as team captains and certain other honors such as receiving nominations to compete for opportunities like the Rhodes Scholarship. I don’t know if this is accurate but one alumnus I was talking to at the end of the season suggested only one rising senior and one junior will qualify and they are not necessarily going to be playing much next year. Seems this raises an issue where the guy with the “C” has an important role to play on ice communicating with the referees and in general as team leader.

Again, I don't see what one has to do with the other. Hockey teams are either all male or all female. Belonging to a single gender social club does not signify to me necessarily that the player has anything against the opposite sex. They could but so what? Seems like Harvard is wading into dangerous waters here. Restricting leadership opportunities and Rhodes Scholar applications because one happens to sing in the Harvard Glee Club or Radcliffe Choral Society and has a desire to play hockey as well? How does that work to support a well rounded Harvard experience?

Comment

• Sorry if I missed it, but Donato was named an assistant to the US WJC team. Obviously who knows what the schedule will be like this year, but the team had four games during that time period this last season.

Comment

Originally posted by HofstraHockey View Post
            Sorry if I missed it, but Donato was named an assistant to the US WJC team. Obviously who knows what the schedule will be like this year, but the team had four games during that time period this last season.
            This makes a lot of sense. I think Thrun, Farinacci, and Beniers are all decent candidates to make the team.

Comment

Originally posted by HofstraHockey View Post
              Sorry if I missed it, but Donato was named an assistant to the US WJC team. Obviously who knows what the schedule will be like this year, but the team had four games during that time period this last season.
              The coaching staff is made up of Harvard coaches, past and present. https://www.gocrimson.com/sports/mic...20200513i57nw4

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
                Again, I don't see what one has to do with the other. Hockey teams are either all male or all female. Belonging to a single gender social club does not signify to me necessarily that the player has anything against the opposite sex. They could but so what? Seems like Harvard is wading into dangerous waters here. Restricting leadership opportunities and Rhodes Scholar applications because one happens to sing in the Harvard Glee Club or Radcliffe Choral Society and has a desire to play hockey as well? How does that work to support a well rounded Harvard experience?
                I agree with all your points. Simply pointing out the current Harvard administration directed by a vote of the Corporation (the University’s governing body) has passed an explicit policy not to allow members of single gender social clubs serve as captains of teams or be nominated to compete for certain honors like Rhodes Scholarships. Awkward perhaps, but true. Certainly puts a limit on potential team captains going forward.

Comment

• I was about to start a Harvard Crimson 2020-2021 thread and realized that there may be no 2020-2021 hockey season at all.
                  I read this article from Harvard Magazine from Dean Gay which hit my email today.
                  https://www.harvardmagazine.com/2020...aching-options

It looks like there may be obstacles to gathering a team on campus. Even if there is a team, will they be able to have spectators at Bright-Landry?
                  Will Harvard have priorities as to which sports get to compete. For years hockey was the most-favored winter sport but in recent years it appears that basketball is now in the most-favored position.

If there is no season I may subscribe to the NHL streaming service and follow the Minnesota Wild instead.

Comment

• I don't think the sport matters as much as making sure that the student-athletes, coaches, trainers and support staff are healthy and remain so for the academic year. I'm guessing that fans will not be allowed to attend any event unless there are strict distancing guidelines, temp checks and other testing administered before the event takes place. And then, how do you contact trace if someone is infected? Harvard contracts out for security, ushers and other support staff for hockey so I would imagine they all have to be tested as well before each event. You see where this is headed. The school's priority should be, first and foremost, the health and safety of the student body, faculty and staff ensuring that academics come first.

Comment

• Originally posted by HUJFKLINE View Post
                      Re: Harvard Crimson 2019-2020 All Things Bright and Beautiful

I agree with all your points. Simply pointing out the current Harvard administration directed by a vote of the Corporation (the University’s governing body) has passed an explicit policy not to allow members of single gender social clubs serve as captains of teams or be nominated to compete for certain honors like Rhodes Scholarships. Awkward perhaps, but true. Certainly puts a limit on potential team captains going forward.

@HUJFKLINE

That was certainly true when you posted the information.
                      Things have changed!
                      On Friday June 26th, the Corporation voted to rescind the policy on unregulated single gender social organizations. On June 29th the President announced the decision and stated (in short) that it was felt that the policy would not withstand scrutiny in the appellate courts.

It follows, as of now, that a member of a final club is eligible to be appointed a team captain, receive approval for Rhodes Scholarships, Harvard Scholarships etc.

One less things for the teams of all sports to worry about.

Now the worry is if and when we will have hockey (and other less important sports) this year. Chatting to people around the team no one knows for sure, even the coaches do not know for sure. One person involved said that he/she feels that games might begin in January for a shorter season with ECAC competition involving one regular season game with each team rather than one home and one away. The whole Beanpot is very much up in the air.

After so many years (30 plus) of missing very few games I would feel the loss of a season but graduating healthy students is more important.
                      Last edited by Veritas; 07-03-2020, 01:20 AM.

Comment

• The incoming class. https://gocrimson.com/news/2020/6/26...s-of-2024.aspx

Worth noting. Mark Fusco’s son is listed as a D, hoping he shares his dad’s skill. Also Matt Berniers and Sean Farrell were teammates on the U18 development team and both are projected to go high in the NHL draft.

Comment

• Originally posted by Veritas View Post
                          ...The whole Beanpot is very much up in the air...
                          Obviously agree that graduating healthy students is paramount but assuming blessings of the public health authorities, PLEASE DON'T TORPEDO THE BEANPOT, especially now that all four competing teams are once again relevant.

"Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

• Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
                            The incoming class. https://gocrimson.com/news/2020/6/26...s-of-2024.aspx

Worth noting. Mark Fusco’s son is listed as a D, hoping he shares his dad’s skill. Also Matt Berniers and Sean Farrell were teammates on the U18 development team and both are projected to go high in the NHL draft.
                            Love the class. Be interesting to see how they juggle the D as well as the back end forwards. Could a few guys be sitting next year who started this year? Bar and Fusco won’t want to sit and no way Farrell, Beniers, Kuntar, and Laferriere do not start.

Comment

• Originally posted by bothman View Post

Love the class. Be interesting to see how they juggle the D as well as the back end forwards. Could a few guys be sitting next year who started this year? Bar and Fusco won’t want to sit and no way Farrell, Beniers, Kuntar, and Laferriere do not start.
                              Well the juggling may have to wait. The Globe is reporting that Harvard intends to bring back 40% of the students. The freshman class in its entirety as well as select upperclassmen based on academic reasons. I don't know what that means exactly but I do know the odds of a hockey season took a major nosedive. If the virus subsides by December, a decision will be made to bring back most of the rest of the undergraduates. Whereupon, a shortened season could be executed starting in January. A big maybe to be sure.

Comment

• Originally posted by BCeagle
                                Has nothing to do with hockey but I was surprised WH spokesperson went to HU.

Why would someone with a HU education work for this WH ? A typical sycophant
                                This isn't a political forum so please go elsewhere to troll.

Comment

Working...
                                X