Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alaska / UAA : the Strategic, Restructured, Combined 2019-20 Season Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alaska / UAA : the Strategic, Restructured, Combined 2019-20 Season Thread.

I wonder if they are going to try to put the temp extra seats this year at the WFSC.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfman View Post
      I wonder if they are going to try to put the temp extra seats this year at the WFSC.
      What will be the max capacity with the extra seats? I believe UAF at UAA is your first home stand. Hopefully streaming is up and running and tested by then. I guess we'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
        Yep.... it will be refreshing .............. Like a private club with manners.
        Sullivan Arena has been a very exclusive club for about a decade, so it sounds like things won’t be changing much.
        “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
          What will be the max capacity with the extra seats? I believe UAF at UAA is your first home stand. Hopefully streaming is up and running and tested by then. I guess we'll see.
          The real fans have all ready got their seats. As for Flo we do a lot better than most of the buss people, some like brad........suck big time.
          Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
          UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfman View Post
            I hope not as the season ticket holders will make bank scalping................cuz some body will want to watch their Lil' Darlin cut circles at any price.
            UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Comment

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
              Thrilled that there has been some positive ground made regarding the Alaskan budget situation, and that there will be Alaska college hockey this season. Looking forward to flying from Boston to Fairbanks in February to take in a game between the two teams, crossing off a big bucket list item for me. Good luck this season!
              In January 2004 my wife and I visited Fairbanks to see BG play and enjoyed the trip. We recommend the Museum of the North and the Alaska RR to Anchorage. (At that time the train left Fairbanks Sunday morning.)
              Go Falcons!

Comment

Originally posted by spiehler View Post
                We recommend ...the Alaska RR to Anchorage. (At that time the train left Fairbanks Sunday morning.)
                Yep, I'll second the train ride back to Anchorage. Certainly the best non-hockey part of my trip to Fairbanks. Awesome views and SO much better than flying. The train stopped on several of the major bridges for everyone could get scenic photos. Brutal cold, but great photos.
                Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                Originally posted by geezer
                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                Originally posted by manurespreader
                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                  Yep, I'll second the train ride back to Anchorage. Certainly the best non-hockey part of my trip to Fairbanks. Awesome views and SO much better than flying. The train stopped on several of the major bridges for everyone could get scenic photos. Brutal cold, but great photos.
                  Most of the more talented and successful coaches make the Alaska Trip a adventure every time they came and made it part of their recruitment.............. trip adventure's... so they would take a extra day and do something buss people would never think to do.

Comment

its easy for me to say this, or anything, as a tech fan...

so here goes nothing;

i think the reason the mag7 split from the UA_ teams has very little to do with travel. sure its far, we tech fans know... as far as the lower 48 goes we are far from everything.

to me the split happened because of money and commitment. the AK budget crises has been brewing for a long time. the coaching hire circus at fairbanks was nothing short of ridiculous. etc, etc.

but we are where we are... so an idea, a suggestion;

pending the NCAA having some balls to actually do something (because they really do nothing). these three teams could go as independents with the NCAA requiring a rotation from every conference, for every team to visit and to be visited.

we would visit you, then something like four years later you visit us, and so on... with three teams that would mean a series every one or two years.

the three of you would have the most well rounded schedule in the entire country. half of the games at home, half away.

regardless of what happens i wish the three of you the best. and go further to say that i actually think UAH will be the 8th team if they get their commitment straightened out.

GO TECH GOLD!

Comment

Originally posted by DrunkTrainPolka View Post
                      its easy for me to say this, or anything, as a tech fan...

so here goes nothing;

i think the reason the mag7 split from the UA_ teams has very little to do with travel. sure its far, we tech fans know... as far as the lower 48 goes we are far from everything.

to me the split happened because of money and commitment...

I appreciate you having done the leg work on this. Or I assume you have. And since I do not want to recreate the wheel, could you please tell me how much each of the ten WCHA teams spent on their hockey programs last season, or even the 2017-18 if last year’s numbers are still being gathered. I’d like to know just how far below the average UAA, UAF and UAH are. It’s hard to keep up with the LSSU’s and FSU’s of the world. Thank you in advance.

Comment

pending the NCAA having some balls to actually do something (because they really do nothing). these three teams could go as independents with the NCAA requiring a rotation from every conference, for every team to visit and to be visited.

we would visit you, then something like four years later you visit us, and so on... with three teams that would mean a series every one or two years.

the three of you would have the most well rounded schedule in the entire country. half of the games at home, half away.
                        Oh my goodness, this would never, ever happen. If the Alaska exemption isn't enough to bring teams to the 49th, enforced pity from the NCAA wouldn't be, either. Getting non-conference teams to come to Huntsville is like pulling eye teeth. I stand a better chance of being the flight director of the first Mars mission's landing and egress day than this does in coming to fruition.

GFM
                        Geof F. Morris
                        UAH BSE MAE 2002
                        UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
                          I appreciate you having done the leg work on this. Or I assume you have. And since I do not want to recreate the wheel, could you please tell me how much each of the ten WCHA teams spent on their hockey programs last season, or even the 2017-18 if last year’s numbers are still being gathered. I’d like to know just how far below the average UAA, UAF and UAH are. It’s hard to keep up with the LSSU’s and FSU’s of the world. Thank you in advance.
                          i have done no leg work. nor will i. it was just an idea. but you make good points/questions... anybody out there?

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                            Oh my goodness, this would never, ever happen. If the Alaska exemption isn't enough to bring teams to the 49th, enforced pity from the NCAA wouldn't be, either. Getting non-conference teams to come to Huntsville is like pulling eye teeth. I stand a better chance of being the flight director of the first Mars mission's landing and egress day than this does in coming to fruition.

GFM
                            note to self; do not hire GFM for your space mission.

you don't dream far enough... i stand by my comment!

the exemption? hence the point of it [cost] being shared...

have you ever been to AK? i have...

as a coach or program, to be able to provide students (**** the athlete side of it) an opportunity to be there... hell... like seeing a moose at the anchorage airport parking lot.

do right! ...or never get to mars.

GO TECH GOLD!
                            Last edited by DrunkTrainPolka; 09-23-2019, 07:54 AM.

Comment

i have done no leg work. nor will i.

typical hick..... yap... yap..... yap .......I rest my case.

Comment

Sean Pickett created a revenue/expense spreadsheet a few years back for all of the public school teams. Each school accounts for revenue and expenses differently so individual numbers may not correlate precisely, but here's what he lists as expenses for the WCHA teams in 2016 (last year data is reported). While I don't vouch for it's accuracy, it's as good as anything I've seen to date.
                                Code:
                                Team	2016 Expenses*
                                MSU	2,362,995
                                UAA	2,307,122
                                NMU	2,247,306
                                MTU	2,245,567
                                UA	2,208,390
                                BGSU	1,738,879
                                BSU	1,671,666
                                UAH	1,492,281
                                FSU	1,470,188
                                LSSU	1,183,949

*Numbers taken from sheet "Yearly Hockey" column "CU - Men's Total Expenses"
                                I've heard a few times how my school is "in the middle of the pack" on expenses; this seems to support that.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1119207498

And FWIW, I don't think it's one single reason this is happening. Nor is it necessarily the same reason(s) for each of the schools involved.
                                Last edited by TalonsUpPuckDown; 09-23-2019, 06:31 AM. Reason: Highlighted the URL

Comment

Working...
                                X