Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alaska / UAA : the Strategic, Restructured, Combined 2019-20 Season Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Alaska / UAA : the Strategic, Restructured, Combined 2019-20 Season Thread.

Originally posted by Suze View Post
    Ugh, I can't read it because we don't have a subscription. And the ADN has finally caught on to incognito surfing.
    Letter: College sports are baloney

pencil Author: Thomas Harrison Morse | Opinion
    clock Updated: 1 day ago calendar Published 1 day ago

Share on FacebookFacebook
    Share on TwitterTwitter
    Share via EmailEmail
    Share on TumblrTumblr
    Share on RedditReddit
    Share on LinkedInLinkedIn
    Share on Google PlusGoogle Plus
    Print articleReddit
    Increase Article Font Size
    Decrease Article Font Size

The Oct. 7 letter from several State House members to the University of Alaska Board of Regents, urging them to keep intercollegiate sports at the University of Alaska Anchorage and University of Alaska Fairbanks, is nonsense. It says nothing about such sports being eliminated at the University of Alaska Southeast in 1990, and how UAS is none the worse for it. College sports represent millions of dollars wasted on the non-academic frivolities of a very small group.

The representatives’ letter talked about athletics and leadership. Baloney. Athletes are not leaders; they’re followers, because they’re trained to be followers. They’re trained as part of a team, not as individuals showing initiative and responsibility. There have been a number of scandals where athletes (and coaches) were monsters, not leaders.

There is also no correlation between athletics and academics. University athletes range from excellent students to illiterate athletic cannon fodder, to be exploited and discarded. Again, college sports are rife with such scandals.

The letter further stated, “College athletics is an integral part of the total University experience.” More baloney. UAA students show little to no interest in intercollegiate events because they’re too busy with academics and life, which is the way it should be. The only people pushing college sports are the ones making money off it.

— Thomas Harrison Morse

UAA Faculty

Anchorage

Comment

• Re: Alaska / UAA : the Strategic, Restructured, Combined 2019-20 Season Thread.

Originally posted by Alaska1986 View Post
      Letter: College sports are baloney

pencil Author: Thomas Harrison Morse | Opinion
      clock Updated: 1 day ago calendar Published 1 day ago

Share on FacebookFacebook
      Share on TwitterTwitter
      Share via EmailEmail
      Share on TumblrTumblr
      Share on RedditReddit
      Share on LinkedInLinkedIn
      Share on Google PlusGoogle Plus
      Print articleReddit
      Increase Article Font Size
      Decrease Article Font Size

The Oct. 7 letter from several State House members to the University of Alaska Board of Regents, urging them to keep intercollegiate sports at the University of Alaska Anchorage and University of Alaska Fairbanks, is nonsense. It says nothing about such sports being eliminated at the University of Alaska Southeast in 1990, and how UAS is none the worse for it. College sports represent millions of dollars wasted on the non-academic frivolities of a very small group.

The representatives’ letter talked about athletics and leadership. Baloney. Athletes are not leaders; they’re followers, because they’re trained to be followers. They’re trained as part of a team, not as individuals showing initiative and responsibility. There have been a number of scandals where athletes (and coaches) were monsters, not leaders.

There is also no correlation between athletics and academics. University athletes range from excellent students to illiterate athletic cannon fodder, to be exploited and discarded. Again, college sports are rife with such scandals.

The letter further stated, “College athletics is an integral part of the total University experience.” More baloney. UAA students show little to no interest in intercollegiate events because they’re too busy with academics and life, which is the way it should be. The only people pushing college sports are the ones making money off it.

— Thomas Harrison Morse

UAA Faculty

Anchorage
      Thanks for posting the article. The guy needs to get a grip on reality.
      Originally Posted by aparch
      I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
        Thanks for posting the article. The guy needs to get a grip on reality.
        No problem, I hate the blocker, I just use a different browser and rotate between them

Comment

I think the last time I was at the Sully it was like $7.50 for a 16 can bud, or $8.50 for a 12 oz draft. Regardless, them charging $5 for parking when its suppose to be free after 7pm is just one way to rip us off...cough cough... I mean create revenue. I can't imagine what the concession stands charge. Will find out on Friday. Also planning on going out to eat before the game.
          Does anyone actually talk hockey on this site? Seems like a bunch of Facebook posts about eveerything but hockey... Geez.

Comment

Originally posted by NookAlum View Post
            Does anyone actually talk hockey on this site? Seems like a bunch of Facebook posts about eveerything but hockey... Geez.
            Go for it!
            I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by NookAlum View Post
              You mean like your post?
              Last edited by mmf; 11-01-2019, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Haha. But all jokes aside, I listened in for the 3rd period and it seemed like UAA played with a little pep in the step. 3 goals a night would nice but I just hope they play all 60.

Comment

Haha. But all jokes aside, I listened in for the 3rd period and it seemed like UAA played with a little pep in the step. 3 goals a night would nice but I just hope they play all 60.
                  They played a great first and third period, from what I gathered listening to the radio. So Omaha didn't play a full 60 minutes either.

UAA's newest recruit: Tyrell Boucher from the BCHL. Not bad as a defenseman, this season he has 1 goal and 15 assists in 20 games. I like the fact that in those 20 games he has only taken 4 penalties.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

I thoroughly enjoyed tonights game against Omaha. This Seawolf team is impressive, they have the will to win and they just don't quit. I am in awe of how well the freshmen and sophomores are playing so far. It's a different mind set this season. How many years have we seen them dump the puck in the corners and grind it out? These guys pass to the point, their passes are much better, and they just move the puck well and play smart. Tonight's game easily could have gone to UAA, they played well enough to win, that's for sure. I am very happy with the tie.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

If the Nanooks score at least one goal in a game, they are 4-1 including a last minute loss to Denver. The other four games, we have been out scored 18-0. If we score a goal, other teams better watch out! Crazy how we can have almost 40 shots and so few good scoring chances. Hoping for a rebound like we had after getting embarrassment in the Thursday game at Penn State.

Comment

What did you do with tickets you snagged for the game? Sell them ?
                        Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                        UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

• Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
                          What did you do with tickets you snagged for the game? Sell them ?
                          Nope, went to the game with two friends, enjoyed the new/old digs and was impressed in the toughness from UAA. Speaking truthfully, the third goal by UNO was a fluke but a goal none the less, it didn't help that defense let up and he got it in off then shoulder pad of the goalie. But it's all how the puck bounces. Also, there were a few missed opportunities where UNO should have scored if they were in mid season form. There was some solid passing by UAA at times by the lower classmen that made me excited. More importantly, they did very few dump and runs that I remember from the Shyiak years(see water bottle incident).
                          I do hope hockey continues in Anchorage but time will tell. Pretty much sold out but it's not saying much. Doubtful that they can get the money to renovate under the current governor. But the vibe was better at the SSC than at the Sully in years.

Comment

There was some solid passing by UAA at times by the lower classmen that made me excited. More importantly, they did very few dump and runs that I remember from the Shyiak years.
                            So far the freshmen have contributed 9 of the 13 goals scored thus far. And among them they have 22 points!! The seniors need to step it up! Special teams are looking much better this season as well. Last night they scored two power play goals and one short handed. UAA's power play is clicking at 25%, first in the WCHA.
                            Last edited by Suze; 11-02-2019, 06:50 AM.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

I like non-conference ties. UAA doesn’t lose and it still screws the rest of the conference in the Pairwise!
                              U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                              Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                              I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                              But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                              Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                                I like non-conference ties. UAA doesn’t lose and it still screws the rest of the conference in the Pairwise!
                                great attitude
                                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Working...
                                X