Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alaska / UAA : the Strategic, Restructured, Combined 2019-20 Season Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Alaska / UAA : the Strategic, Restructured, Combined 2019-20 Season Thread.

If you skip the first periods each night, it was very exciting hockey this weekend. The Nanooks are showing us two things that we didn’t see in the first half of the season. We have the powerplay clicking, with 9 scores in the last 6 games along with figuring out how to not let the opponents score short handed. Secondly we are not giving up when we are playing from behind. In the last 4 games we have erased a 2 goal deficit 6 times, including last night when we were down 3 goals. It’s not good for most of the teams in conference to have games in hand, but this bye week is needed to get some guys healthy, hopefully the injuries from this week aren’t too serious. On to the Gov Cup! GoNanooks!!

Comment

• Re: Alaska / UAA : the Strategic, Restructured, Combined 2019-20 Season Thread.

Originally posted by GoNanooks View Post
      If you skip the first periods each night, it was very exciting hockey this weekend. The Nanooks are showing us two things that we didn’t see in the first half of the season. We have the powerplay clicking, with 9 scores in the last 6 games along with figuring out how to not let the opponents score short handed. Secondly we are not giving up when we are playing from behind. In the last 4 games we have erased a 2 goal deficit 6 times, including last night when we were down 3 goals. It’s not good for most of the teams in conference to have games in hand, but this bye week is needed to get some guys healthy, hopefully the injuries from this week aren’t too serious. On to the Gov Cup! GoNanooks!!
      I was (cough cough) rooting for ya. I hope the Nanooks make home ice and knock off one of the defectors big time. Was the player who was injured on Friday in the lineup on Saturday? Both of those injuries looked like bad knee injuries.
      Originally Posted by aparch
      I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Suze View Post
        I was (cough cough) rooting for ya. I hope the Nanooks make home ice and knock off one of the defectors big time. Was the player who was injured on Friday in the lineup on Saturday? Both of those injuries looked like bad knee injuries.
        He did not play last night. I believe the injury to Thompson last night was his ankle. It would be sad to have him on crutches for senior night.

Comment

Unfortunately, the Nooks will probably need to sweep all six points from UAA to grab home ice. Not a given. FSU needs three more points to tie UAA, and with those three points I believe they would also have the tie breaker with UAA. If UAA can steal any points from BSU they would be in a good spot.

Depending on what happens with MTU and BGSU in the early games on the last weekend, the Nooks could find themselves pulling their goalie in OT against UAA. Dropping 1 point or 3 points may not matter.

Given the situation, do the Nooks stay locked in on fifth or gamble on taking forth vs dropping to sixth? I like our chances better going to BGSU vs going to NMU. Hope it doesn’t come down to that.

Comment

• Originally posted by mmf View Post
            Unfortunately, the Nooks will probably need to sweep all six points from UAA to grab home ice. Not a given. FSU needs three more points to tie UAA, and with those three points I believe they would also have the tie breaker with UAA. If UAA can steal any points from BSU they would be in a good spot.

Depending on what happens with MTU and BGSU in the early games on the last weekend, the Nooks could find themselves pulling their goalie in OT against UAA. Dropping 1 point or 3 points may not matter.

Given the situation, do the Nooks stay locked in on fifth or gamble on taking forth vs dropping to sixth? I like our chances better going to BGSU vs going to NMU. Hope it doesn’t come down to that.
            Why would a coach basically tell his team, “I don’t think you’re good enough to win at _________?”
            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by Suze View Post
              They are certainly capable of it. When they played Mankato they got spanked 7-1 on Friday and nearly beat them on Friday but ended up with a tie. And Arizona State is not as talented as Mankato. Last night UAA was sleep walking through that game.
              UAF has an ongoing scheduling agreement with ASU now...did UAA do the same?
              “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

• Originally posted by GoNanooks View Post
                It is very encouraging when you know that we can actually score on a powerplay now. If we win tonight it will put us ten points above the falcons.
                Our power play has really shifted over the last few weeks. Hasn’t been discussed much but it’s been a difference maker.
                “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                  Why would a coach basically tell his team, “I don’t think you’re good enough to win at _________?”
                  A Coach wouldn't. So what's your point. How often do you see a team pull a goalie in OT. Should a coach worry more more about the extra conference point (pull a goalie in OT), or play it straight in the the OT and take the NCAA tie.

Comment

A Coach wouldn't. So what's your point. How often do you see a team pull a goalie in OT. Should a coach worry more more about the extra conference point (pull a goalie in OT), or play it straight in the the OT and take the NCAA tie.
                    Well, there was that one time with Matt Thomas.

Comment

If a win puts you at home and a tie sends you on a 15-20 hour trip...
                      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                        If a win puts you at home and a tie sends you on a 15-20 hour trip...
                        Man, talk about leaving a curveball over the plate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                          Man, talk about leaving a curveball over the plate.
                          Hard to snap off that curveball when it’s -10° at the field across the street from your rink! 😂

Comment

What are you telling your team by not going for 4th? What good is the NCAA tie? You have no chance for an at large bid to the NCAA tournament. Bemidji is about the only one besides Minnesota St that has a chance to get in without winning the WCHA tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                              What are you telling your team by not going for 4th? What good is the NCAA tie? You have no chance for an at large bid to the NCAA tournament. Bemidji is about the only one besides Minnesota St that has a chance to get in without winning the WCHA tournament.
                              Not sure how many -if any- coaches would do something along those lines. In the last game of the '13-14 regular season (Back in the days of 2 point games), Kato and Tech were going to overtime, with Kato needing the full 2 points to share the MacNaughton, and Tech needing the full 2 points to get home ice. Neither coach pulled the goalie, and the game ended in a tie. If I recall, Hastings' reasoning was that we were still in the running for the NCAA tournament, so there was no reason to just give away Pairwise points. Pearson's logic was that they were good enough to win on the road as well as home.

Barring really unusual circumstances, I just don't think coaches are going to do it.

Comment

• Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                                As a fan of course I want to have a home playoff series, especially when it hasn’t happened in 5 years. But why would we want to throw away the governors cup for the small small chance we would score with the goalie pulled, something we have not done this year as far as I remember. Unless of course we lose Friday and somehow still would get home ice with a win on Saturday. In that case we would have nothing to lose and multiple things to win. But I wouldn’t want to pull the goalie until there is less than a minute left, giving yourself the chance to play the full five minutes without them scoring just with one rush down the ice.

Comment

Working...
                                X