This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    Yeah that is what I mean. I wasnt saying it would legitimize him I am saying that proves enthusiasm isnt the problem it is the voters in general that are the problem.
    The demographics are entirely different but either way the candidate in the general needs to ramp up excitement and be a good campaigner. At this point I’m pretty confident that Donny is a better campaigner than Joe 30330 and will do a better job of activating his base while the other will probably have a negative effect. Joe could maybe still win narrowly given the trends of 2018 and more recent election results (the NC one) but that’s not exactly comforting either.
    Last edited by trixR4kids; 09-13-2019, 11:15 AM.

Comment

• Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers V: Bye Felicia

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      There is no reason to do that culling yet. That's what the primaries are for. Right now the only basis for culling is name recognition and that is self-fulfilling prophesy. We have to let the voters speak.
      Sorry but I disagree. It was cute for a while but the Dems are spending way too much time making sure everyone has a chance to play. I am not saying get it down to 5 or anything but they need to up the minimums and fast or people are gonna tune out completely. There is no point to these debates because no one can actually speak. We arent learning anything and the agenda is not going to change because Julian Castro gets in a zinger then isnt heard from again.

As of yesterday 20 people were still in the race. That is lunacy. I bet if we tried (without help) we couldnt name half of them and 3/4 of them we couldnt tell you their big agenda piece. It is all white noise which is why Biden is able to maintain his lead.
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
        Sorry but I disagree. It was cute for a while but the Dems are spending way too much time making sure everyone has a chance to play. I am not saying get it down to 5 or anything but they need to up the minimums and fast or people are gonna tune out completely. There is no point to these debates because no one can actually speak. We arent learning anything and the agenda is not going to change because Julian Castro gets in a zinger then isnt heard from again.

As of yesterday 20 people were still in the race. That is lunacy. I bet if we tried (without help) we couldnt name half of them and 3/4 of them we couldnt tell you their big agenda piece. It is all white noise which is why Biden is able to maintain his lead.
        90% of the Democratic electorate have not even started paying attention yet. We have an extremely warped view because we never stop breathing in political fumes but the people who will decide this -- The Great Lo Fo Mr. and Ms. Average -- have not thought about 2020 yet.

This hasn't "gone on too long." It literally has not even started. You are advocating replacing the pre-1970s smoke filled room with a post-2010 internet chat room. No. The cure for the ills of democracy is more democracy*. That means the pre-season is going to have pitchers in camp with uniform numbers in the 70s and 80s.

* It's strange that the most extreme intellectual snob on the Cafe should have to be the one to remind people of this.
        Last edited by Kepler; 09-13-2019, 11:23 AM.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Also the problem isn’t so much the number of people, it’s ABC’s incompetency and thinking that people actually care what Cory Booker and Kampala think.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
            The demographics are entirely different but either way the candidate in the general needs to ramp up excitement and be a good campaigner. At this point I’m pretty confident that Donny is a better campaigner than Joe 30330 and will do a better job of activating his base while the other will probably have a negative effect. Joe could maybe still win narrowly given the trends of 2018 and more recent election results (the NC one) but that’s not exactly comforting either.
            Anyone is...but his Old Man shtick is working and is nullifying the age gap.

Right now the disappointing thing to me is that the "youth" is vastly underperforming. I am not being ageist but the leaders are very old and the fact that none of the younger candidates is generating any real excitement right now is kind of sad to see. if Beto had brain one on any issue he could be killing it right now cause he has the Q factor. No one else seems to get anything going. That may be partly because of the large field but I also think they all are just too...blah. None of them seem ready to take a hard stance (outside Beto with guns) and even when they do, as soon as there is any blowback they backpeddle faster than a French Tank in the Rhineland. Bernie and Warren...we know where they stand on all issues. The rest...we kind of know but we dont know which is why bloggers and clickbaiters are cleaning up right now.

Honestly...if I was on Beto's staff right now I take the AR-15 comment (and the reaction to it) and go for broke. He has shown you can withstand the blowback and it makes you look better. Stop trying to make him into something he isnt (smart) and just have him go out there and say what the Left wants to hear. He doesnt have to believe it, he doesnt have to actually support it, HE DOESNT EVEN NEED TO KNOW WHAT IT IS, just have him say it and get his numbers up. Get sounbytes of him talking about every red meat issue and going extreme on it. He could be in the Top 5 with that right now. We know voters dont actually care about policy (hence...Joe Biden) so take a page from his playbook with a younger version. (note: I dont want Beto either...but if I was on his staff this is his path to higher office)
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Honestly...if I was on Beto's staff right now I take the AR-15 comment (and the reaction to it) and go for broke.
              I think this is the best move for him. We are obviously moving towards a post-gun society. It won't happen tomorrow but it's coming. Beto should establish that as his signature item. He should get in on the ground floor as The Man Who Stands Up To The Fondlers while everybody else is still hairsplitting. TX is moving purple and he can drag it over the finish line as Governor and turn "don't mess with Texas" machismo into attacking not just the NRA but Wall Street, the Plutes, Big Pharma, the MIC -- all the 20th Century ancien regime villains.

Authentic Straight Talker is a great shtick -- people respond to it on both sides of the aisle. Add that he's hot and does right by Latinos and he's on his way. It's a long term project -- 20 years or more -- but he's young; he's got the time.
              Cornell University
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                90% of the Democratic electorate have not even started paying attention yet. We have an extremely warped view because we never stop breathing in political fumes but the people who will decide this -- The Great Lo Fo Mr. and Ms. Average -- have not thought about 2020 yet.

This hasn't "gone on too long." It literally has not even started. You are advocating replacing the pre-1970s smoke filled room with a post-2010 internet chat room. No. The cure for the ills of democracy is more democracy*. That means the pre-season is going to have pitchers in camp with uniform numbers in the 70s and 80s.

* It's strange that the most extreme intellectual snob on the Cafe should have to be the one to remind people of this.
                I am sorry but you dont get to play the democracy card when talking about the Democratic Primaries. It has zero to do with democracy in any way and never has. If that was the idea we would see way more townhalls than we do.

And it has started...it started in 2016 and never stopped. These people have been campaigning for years already. What did we learn last night we didnt know outside of that Beto wants to take your guns away? Nothing...because this whole system isnt set up to actually learn about the candidates it is so the Dems can play their version of The Apprentice because they saw it worked for Trump. Problem is they arent as good at it and Joe Biden /= Trump.

Your problem is you assume people are going to care more in 6 months than they do now. That is false. What the GOP gets and you seem not to understand is you have to make them care about something by hammering the point home long before it matters. People may not be campaigning for anyone but they still hear what is going on and what is being said. If no one is allowed to put forth any real agenda by the time it "starts" it will be too late. All we will hear from people is "I am not really sure what the person even stands for". (I am speaking of the people you say arent involved...not us who care now)

You want to keep 20 around fine. Drop the debate crap then cause it doesnt work. If you want to actually talk issues you cant have 10 people all fighting each other. There isnt enough time or space for that. Campaign more, debate less.
                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                  Also the problem isn’t so much the number of people, it’s ABC’s incompetency and thinking that people actually care what Cory Booker and Kampala think.
                  That's on the DNC then not ABC.

Comment

You want to keep 20 around fine. Drop the debate crap then cause it doesnt work. If you want to actually talk issues you cant have 10 people all fighting each other. There isnt enough time or space for that. Campaign more, debate less.
                    I agree with this entirely. These debates are way too early.

I suggests the candidates split into 1-on-1 debates. Have real debate moderators run them, not network hairdos. Use real debate rules. Have them all online, no live audience. That's how you hammer out substantive policy and explore differences. The frauds will be exposed immediately -- imagine Warren vs Gabbard or Biden vs Williamson. These performances will drive media narratives which will drive money.

That's how you put policy first and kill the horse race.
                    Cornell University

Comment

Poor Grandpa Joe

Tomorrow is a keen day. Me and Janey are going to Woolworth's for Malteds, then to the Nickelodeon to see the new talkies and finally I'm taking her to the sock-hop! It's going to be swell!

Comment

After 40 years in DC, you'd think there would be more dirty laundry that would finally take Biden out of this thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                          After 40 years in DC, you'd think there would be more dirty laundry that would finally take Biden out of this thing.
                          Former Cardinal McCarrick plied his trade in and about DC under the very noses of the powerful. Nobody said anything despite the reports and whispers.

If you're liked, you get a pass. If they dislike you, the skeletons will come out
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Anyone is...but his Old Man shtick is working and is nullifying the age gap.
                            IDK if it's working though, he's dipped in the polls considerably despite the fact that he theoretically should've just cruised on name recognition alone. There's all sorts of reports that his team is limiting his media/public exposure and are concerned about how things have been going.

As for the youth it depends, you have some like AOC who are too young to run and the younger ones who are currently running have an uninspiring history, talk out both sides of their mouth, are in it for vanity reasons (Beto), or just don't have any real solutions to solve the ongoing issues with capitalism and globalization.

Comment

I have some bad news for those who want smaller debates. Tom Hoyer has qualified for the fourth debate, so there will be at least 11 (insert Spinal Tap joke here). Tulsi Gabbard needs two more qualifying polls to make it a dozen. The debate will again be broken up into two nights, 15 and 16 October.

Comment

Who?

Getting sick of this - Dems needed to shut this sh*t down and cut to 8 or even 6 yesterday. Instead, they're terrified of being accused of SENANCIANS again like in 2016.

Comment

Working...
                                X