X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Movies 51 - Rise of the Frozen Joker: Chapter II: Dark Fate

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
    so it doesn't unravel nor fall apart off the reel in the the theatre??

I'm just not that into comics, so I guess that's why I missed the jokes. Sue me.

Comment

Mookie watched.
      Dated. But ok.
      Denzel fan so maybe liked it more than otherwise shoulda.
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Joker is getter by huge props from journalists with many saying Phoenix could get an Oscar.

The Current War is getting slammed. Ugh.

Both out October 4.
        Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Roll Red Roll. A 2018 documentary on Netflix regarding the Steubenville, Ohio gang rape of an extremely intoxicated 16 year old girl by members of the local high school football team.

The case, and the movie, were particularly interesting in that the prosecution rested almost entirely on social media evidence including texts, photos and movies. As expected, initial reaction in the community was to "protect the team" and blame the victim.

A local blogger got involved, did a little sleuthing on the social media sites of the kids involved and revealed some of the particularly vile reactions of these kids in real time as the rape occurred. National media picked up on the story. Then, the blogger got sued by one of the families for defamation in a classic SLAPP case designed to shut her up, at which point Anonymous leaped in to try to expose the crime and basically threw a tanker of gas onto what was already a pretty good fire.

One thing I discovered by doing a little further digging is that apparently one or more members of Anonymous were also prosecuted for their hacking efforts, although the movie tends to portray them as heroes.

There are a number of good articles out there about the underlying events, if interested in follow up information.
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Heaven Can Wait

Been years since mookie saw it. Great cast. Charles Groden as the bad guy is so sly it’s magic. Dyan Cannon was a babe. Supporting top notch. And Beatty and Christie are great together. Great story and except for the Stillers losing dam near perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
              Roll Red Roll. A 2018 documentary on Netflix regarding the Steubenville, Ohio gang rape of an extremely intoxicated 16 year old girl by members of the local high school football team.

The case, and the movie, were particularly interesting in that the prosecution rested almost entirely on social media evidence including texts, photos and movies. As expected, initial reaction in the community was to "protect the team" and blame the victim.

A local blogger got involved, did a little sleuthing on the social media sites of the kids involved and revealed some of the particularly vile reactions of these kids in real time as the rape occurred. National media picked up on the story. Then, the blogger got sued by one of the families for defamation in a classic SLAPP case designed to shut her up, at which point Anonymous leaped in to try to expose the crime and basically threw a tanker of gas onto what was already a pretty good fire.

One thing I discovered by doing a little further digging is that apparently one or more members of Anonymous were also prosecuted for their hacking efforts, although the movie tends to portray them as heroes.

There are a number of good articles out there about the underlying events, if interested in follow up information.
              That one popped up on my list for recommended, but I'm kinda afraid of seeing it, due to it being SO messed up. As I get older, I'm getting pickier in watching truly disturbing things...know what I mean? I don't need to hear every sorded detail or allegation....
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Back to School

Rodney is the best
                Kineson shouldn’t have died

What was the futures payout if one bought Robert Downey jr here! (Or maybe less than zero when he was playing a guy giving bjs?? )

Solid, deep cast here.

Here’s you, here’s Giorgio, but’s what’s with the midget??

Comment

It: Chapter II

The run time on this is 2:49 and has drawn some criticism. I don't care if a movie is 5 hours, if it's good I'll watch. This is good. This is better than good. I enjoyed the hell out of this film and I'll be seeing it again in the theater. Maybe more than once.

The set pieces are incredibly well done. The subtle (and not so subtle) callbacks to the first film are a nice touch. The flashback sequences are a delight to see but horrendous to experience. I identify with those kids so strongly - particularly Ben, for obvious reasons.

This movie has everything. Some great one-liners that'll have you laughing right up until the point you're screaming in terror at what has suddenly appeared on the screen. It is the heartwarming tale of indomitable friendship that at the same time wrenches your heart right out of your chest.

Jessica Chastain and James McAvoy turn in their usual solid performances, but the standout for me was Bill Hader. He plays the adult version of joker Richie Tozier and delivers the expected yuks, but the emotional depth he brings to the role was stunning. He is not just a comedic actor. His range is expansive. Get him some dramatic roles, stat. He can deliver.

The only real drawback for me was the de-aging technology they used for the kids. In some cases it worked, in others it very much did not. There were a couple of times it distracted me and pulled me right out of the movie. Other than that, I enjoyed it immensely.

This is supposed to be the end but this is Hollywood, so who knows? I want this to be the end of this story, but by all means get that group of kids together for more films. Reboot the Scooby-Doo franchise and have them ride around in the Mystery Machine solving ghost stories. They're just so dammed good.

And so is this film. I give it a 9/10.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                    Bill Hader. He plays the adult version of joker Richie Tozier and delivers the expected yuks, but the emotional depth he brings to the role was stunning. He is not just a comedic actor. His range is expansive. Get him some dramatic roles, stat. He can deliver.
                    If you haven't seen his series Barry on HBO you should. He won an Emmy for that role last year. They list it as a comedy but while it is funny at times its also pretty dramatic.

Comment

• Re: Movies 51 - Rise of the Frozen Joker: Chapter II: Dark Fate

Originally posted by Proud2baLaker View Post
                      If you haven't seen his series Barry on HBO you should. He won an Emmy for that role last year. They list it as a comedy but while it is funny at times its also pretty dramatic.
                      Seconded. Hader is a good actor and that role is beautifully written by Duffy Boudreau and Taofik Kolade (who also writes Atlanta!) which never hurts.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I've heard that Hader steals scenes in IT 2. Good. He rules.
                        the state of hockey is good

Comment

Please tell me at one point he describes the monster in a Stefon-like manner.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                          iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                          gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                          Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                          Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                          TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                          DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                            I've heard that Hader steals scenes in IT 2. Good. He rules.
                            I would say Hader is the best part of the "adult" movie and occasionally Chastain and McAvoy measure up. He does so much more than steal scenes. It's been a long, long time since an actor surprised me like he did. The kids remain in a class by themselves.

Comment

Was gonna chime in on IT 2, but y'all have it covered:

IT Chapter Two:
                              I so wanna see it in theaters, but 2:49 running time? I'll wait. Mixed review in the Star Trib today, don't care. Gonna see it.

And Chastain as the adult? Perfect casting, IMO.
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Hold the mutha ffffffff ing presses....

Coming 2 America

Comment

Working...
                                X