X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Movies 51 - Rise of the Frozen Joker: Chapter II: Dark Fate

Originally posted by aparch View Post
    Jesus Christ. I only jokingly advocate for Disney to release Song of the South, but even *I* realize how terrible the stereotype of the times were in that film and why it will never see the light of day again.
    I want it back to use it as a learning tool, to TEACH about said stereotypes. Educate kids on WHAT the stereotypes are, and WHY they are bad. That movie shows examples that kids could understand.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
      I want it back to use it as a learning tool, to TEACH about said stereotypes. Educate kids on WHAT the stereotypes are, and WHY they are bad. That movie shows examples that kids could understand.
      It's an important part of film history, like Birth of a Nation.

But I don't think kids are gonna get it. Most kids are... not to put too fine a point on it... pretty stupid.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

It's all in the context.

Some MAGA waving the flag at a demonstration? That's a pretty clear message.
        A flag painted on a car, in a non-racist show, that teaches morals and values and doing the right thing? That's a different message about what they think of the flag.

And I haven't seen a rerun of Dukes since this all started, I do know they did remove the flag from all merchandise going forward. Dunno if they edited the flag off the car in the reruns being shown now or not.

Edit: in the Dukes "world," the flag does not represent what others think it represents, therefore, let it be.
        We don't get to choose. The people harmed by the symbol get to choose and they've told us, "oh hell no."

You are still missing the essential point. When it comes to other people's pain, our opinion doesn't count. It's a theoretical exercise to us. We are in an Ivory Tower of privilege. The people in the gunsights of the symbol -- they matter. We don't.

This comes as an immense culture shock to we old white men because we've always been listened to and always felt comfortable blatting our opinion as if it was objective and reasoned. We're no longer going to be listened to when we explain to people why their pain from our actions is invalid. And thank god for that. At least it's just rolling eyes; it deserves a punch in the face.
        Last edited by Kepler; 10-30-2019, 08:48 PM.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          It's an important part of film history, like Birth of a Nation.

But I don't think kids are gonna get it. Most kids are... not to put too fine a point on it... pretty stupid.
          If it was non-animated, I would agree. In its hybrid cartoon/live form, I think they would get it.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            Or you just do the right thing and quietly paint a murica flag on top instead of, you know, complaining that people are offended. I thought rednecks love freedom and murica. I didn't realize the only thing they loved more was anti-america.

Wait...
            Some would argue that is the 'Murica flag...
            Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
            Originally posted by Quizmire
            mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
            MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
            MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
            I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

https://apple.news/AKOWpc3gtSz6IrZ5bb-Wc4Q?v=1
              No offense, kids. But the man is right.
              Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
              USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

The Commuter:
                It follows a man who is unwittingly recruited into a murder conspiracy after meeting a mysterious woman while on his daily train commute.

The plot? Decent. The execution? It was like handing a 3 year old prodigy a 64-count crayola set, a paint-by-numbers, and he takes 3 crayons and makes some scribbles and calls it a day. What a pile of steaming sh*, even for a mindless action/suspense movie.

Comment

Terminator: Dark Fate

To borrow from Roger Ebert: Terminator and T2 were breakthroughs in story telling and technological wizardry. The latest entry in the Terminator franchise is 128 minutes long.

Was it better than the other sequels? I suppose. That doesn't make it good. I did appreciate that the mythology around the events had been updated and integrated into a future that made sense; but the story is a mess with things explained away far too easily and yet another unstoppable killing machine that we know is going to be stopped. Just let the franchise die.

I can't even get this to fresh on the Tomatometer. 5/10. Wait until Doctor Sleep or catch the season two of the Jack Ryan series on Amazon.

Comment

The Commuter:
                    It follows a man who is unwittingly recruited into a murder conspiracy after meeting a mysterious woman while on his daily train commute.

The plot? Decent. The execution? It was like handing a 3 year old prodigy a 64-count crayola set, a paint-by-numbers, and he takes 3 crayons and makes some scribbles and calls it a day. What a pile of steaming sh*, even for a mindless action/suspense movie.
                    I believe the correct title was "Taken On A Train".

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                    Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                      I believe the correct title was "Taken On A Train".
                      While I wanted to say that, I wanted to be original. I can't debate that point of view. And I LOVED Taken 1 and 2, for what they were. Taken 3 was a pile of sh*, also.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post

To borrow from Roger Ebert: Terminator and T2 were breakthroughs in story telling and technological wizardry. The latest entry in the Terminator franchise is 128 minutes long.

Was it better than the other sequels? I suppose. That doesn't make it good. I did appreciate that the mythology around the events had been updated and integrated into a future that made sense; but the story is a mess with things explained away far too easily and yet another unstoppable killing machine that we know is going to be stopped. Just let the franchise die.

I can't even get this to fresh on the Tomatometer. 5/10. Wait until Doctor Sleep or catch the season two of the Jack Ryan series on Amazon.
                        This is what I fear. I mean the only difference between this and the other sequels is that Cameron is a Producer and Linda Hamilton came back. Just because they ignored some stories Cameron didnt have a part of doesnt mean it is going to be better...especially since he didnt direct it.

Seeing it in IMAX tomorrow. I assume I will like it about as much as I like the other sequels. With the budget it had though this will be the last one. It is looking to bomb in the States and it isnt doing much overseas either. It is looking at like $60 million in China...that is awful.
                        Last edited by Handyman; 11-01-2019, 12:48 AM.
                        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                          It may have never crossed their mind then but it does now. Now is what matters not then.
                          Yes. Now matters. Life occurs today.
                          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

mookie, no! I only meant it as an illustration!
                            Hairy meds are not mookie’s type.

Mookie is at the pool in Bangkok. If mookie didn’t know better he would think he is brad pitt’s better looking brother
                            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

My review will be in 2 parts splitting the film in half.

First Half: Not bad. Starts pretty much like every Terminator flick only there is obvious changes to the story. There is a call back scene which is kind of cool and for a minute or so you really think "Oh snap this is going to be awesome!". After that it falls off into the usual tropes. Much of the cool stuff was spoiled in the trailers but the explanation as to how we are 20 years past Judgement Day but things are still happening is kind of cool. Even Genysis got the time travel shenanigans right in how it changed things up. (I also didnt hate that film as much as most) The new Rev-9 or whatever is cool in some ways and just the T-X/T-1000 in other ways. The problem is since they spoiled a lot of the cool stuff it didnt have impact. The Linda Hamilton return should have been a "Hell Yeah!!!!" moment and it wasnt. It was just a meh. Didnt much care for the young girl but Mackenzie Davis is quite badass.

Score: 6/10 (would have been higher but they spoiled all the cool stuff)

Second Half: OH GOOD GOD NO!!! There isnt enough space for me to adequately explain how mediocre to bad it was. Put it this way, Ahnold was the best part of the acting and story...and that isnt good. Again they ruined that whole thing in the trailers too, and even though I kind of liked his backstory since it wasnt shocking to see him it meant very little. The second half wanted to be T2 so badly it might as well have called itself "Episode 7: The Terminator Awakens". The story completely falls apart including the timeline of the new war. (I might discuss that more in the spoiler thread if I feel the urge) The action was blah, the actors were mailing it in and honestly all 3 Matrixes had better CGI than the crap that was seen in the second half of this film. That isnt an exaggeration...my complaints about the Airplane Scene from the trailers were amplified because they fixed none of it and the scene was so long it actually got laughably worse. It had no value. Most 5 year old video games look better. The final clash was second rate and predictable and unlike pretty much all the other films had no real emotional resonance. I hated the last 40 minutes on a visceral level...

Score: 1.5/10 (and that is all because of the Ahnold part)

I know that Paramount is trying to mitigate the damage by talking about the issues with editing...well whoever edited the second half of the film should have their union card revoked. This film is only getting good reviews because Cameron's name is attached. (and a bit because of Hamilton) If this same film came out and only Miller's name was on it the RT score would be 30% or lower. Tim Miller was the way wrong director for the film and his "vision" stunk. He should stick to Deadpool because films with gravitas, that dont rely on breaking the 4th wall and need real pathos obviously arent his forte. Christ even the action was 25 years out of date. (oh but hey at least he threw in like 15 "HERO LANDINGS!!" ) This is an epic failure, and it is about to bomb to the point it is going to kill the franchise.

Honestly speaking...T3: Rise of the Machines smokes this film in just about every way and that film wasnt exactly stellar. This is better than Salvation and slightly better than Genysis but that is it. This is not a successor to T2...it is a bad copy of it trying to pass itself off as something new because Cameron needed more money for his 30 Avatar sequels.

Overall Score: 3.75/10
                              Last edited by Handyman; 11-01-2019, 07:13 PM.
                              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                                If it was non-animated, I would agree. In its hybrid cartoon/live form, I think they would get it.
                                Picture the average person in your mind, and remember approximately half the population is dumber than that.

No, they won't.

Comment

Working...
                                X