X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Movies 51 - Rise of the Frozen Joker: Chapter II: Dark Fate

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
    Dark Fate did $29M here and $123M worldwide. Breakeven is estimated at $480M. I don't think it's going to make it.
    Dark Phoenix lost $100M for Fox/Disney. This may rival it.
    The box office forum I go to said it will struggle to hit $300 million worldwide. Tanking in China and the US all but guaranteed to would lose more than Dark Phoenix did.

Meanwhile Joker still is raking in the cash and is almost a lock to make a Billion without a China release. It cost $55 million
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Well, it's too bad that Terminator will die off. But, Marvel will take over the Time Travel film angle and rock at the box office so no worries. Speaking of Marvel, they will also "fix" The X-Men who have never had their due. Unfortunately they will never make the X-Men movie I want, but I've long gone past acceptance on that issue.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
        The box office forum I go to said it will struggle to hit $300 million worldwide. Tanking in China and the US all but guaranteed to would lose more than Dark Phoenix did.

Meanwhile Joker still is raking in the cash and is almost a lock to make a Billion without a China release. It cost $55 million
        If there's not a quality story, it doesn't matter how much eye candy you toss on the screen*. The Joker certainly got it right.

*Eye candy is great, but it will only hold the attention for so long. See: Prequels, Star Wars franchise.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
          If there's not a quality story, it doesn't matter how much eye candy you toss on the screen*. The Joker certainly got it right.

*Eye candy is great, but it will only hold the attention for so long. See: Prequels, Star Wars franchise.
          Well I think the problem is Paramount banked too hard on the "James Cameron Returns" angle and figured that would at least get them enough intrigue to get a huge opening in the States. They also assumed China was a lock for big money. Throw in the "Linda Hamilton/Ahnold" stuff along with a few more factors and if everything broke right they get a decent number (still losing money but at least good headlines) and their new franchise is born. Take the loss but move on and get the big cash on the supposed "New James Cameron Trilogy". Worked on the critics, and the Terminator fans do seem to like it more than I did (which is of course great) but no one else seems to care at all. To them it just looks generic and lame.

And see I think for the most part the story is ok. I mean it is 75% recycled but that is fine that is the case with half the films out there these days. (hence the daily "Reboot" update from ticap) The reason I liked the first half of the film (and wish certain things hadnt been ruined in trailers) was because of that stuff. The first half FELT like a Terminator film. Unstoppable killing machine, people in WAY over their head and a random badass showing up to save them. The problem is once you get to the cool action stuff later it walks away from that stuff. The overuse of second rate CGI makes this more George Lucas and less James Cameron. The reason why Terminator and T:2 are still the gold standard is that even the now outdated effects look real enough. The robots look metal, the ships are often models and the explosions are actual explosions. Tim Miller decided to forgo all that and throw millions into CGI that just made this look like a bad copy of a superhero film. Now if Thanos is out there blowing up half the universe that is fine (and that was also done by a much better CGI House but I digress) but Terminator is more grounded than that. When Ahnold cuts off his skin in T:2 it looks like his skeleton really is metal. This looked like Paramount wanted their own Marvel film and tried to turn Terminator into that. They havent learned you cant just take your best franchise and try and force it into the genre of whatever is hot that day. This is now the 3rd or 4th reboot of Terminator and they have all gotten progressively worse and less popular. Too much flash, not enough thriller.
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by scoobydoo View Post
            unfortunately they will never make the x-men movie i want, but i've long gone past acceptance on that issue.
            x2?

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
            iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
            gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
            Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
            Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
            TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
            DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
              x2?
              That's the only good one, but it's not the one I want. The one I want is the original x-men and only the original x-men.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                That's the only good one, but it's not the one I want. The one I want is the original x-men and only the original x-men.

These guys?
                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post

These guys?
                  Correct. The first 63 issues or so were the Originals.

Comment

Those outfits look familiar...

Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      Those outfits look familiar...

Oh man...I've been watching through that show again. So so so funny.

"Give me the keys to your boat"
                      "They're up my a-$-$."
                      "well...."
                      "Dude, what if he's lying?"
                      "If he were telling the truth, that would be better?"

Comment

Originally posted by Proud2baLaker View Post
                        Oh man...I've been watching through that show again. So so so funny.

"Give me the keys to your boat"
                        "They're up my a-$-$."
                        "well...."
                        "Dude, what if he's lying?"
                        "If he were telling the truth, that would be better?"
                        "Ah, who am I kidding? My looks are going down the toilet faster than an unwanted teenage pregnancy on prom night."
                        Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                        Patreon for exclusive writing content
                        Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

I was thinking SNL's Killer Bees. I have no idea what else they could be.

Also only $29 million? Holy balls I thought this movie when it was first announced was guaranteed to break even. Maybe the problem is the assumed the same and didn't put in the full on effort to justify it.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                            I was thinking SNL's Killer Bees. I have no idea what else they could be.

Also only $29 million? Holy balls I thought this movie when it was first announced was guaranteed to break even. Maybe the problem is the assumed the same and didn't put in the full on effort to justify it.
                            With the budget it had and the last two films crapping the bed there was almost no chance it broke even. Whoever approved the budget should be fired yesterday.
                            -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

The Uncanny Threat of Anus the Untouchable

Yeah, I don't see Disney making that.

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                                "Ah, who am I kidding? My looks are going down the toilet faster than an unwanted teenage pregnancy on prom night."
                                "Looks like you got a little herpe on your lip there. You been kissin' your wife's a-$-$? After I put herpe in there."

Comment

Working...
                                X