X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Movies 51 - Rise of the Frozen Joker: Chapter II: Dark Fate

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    Maybe you are part of the "Too Old to Be a Hipster but Still Sound Like One" generation or something
    Taste is timeless.

My granfalloon is nerds. I pity you temporally-bound fools.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Dear sir or madam will you read kep's post, it took him years to write, will you take a look?
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
        Yep. Same here. I prefer "Oregon Trail" generation.
        Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        Yep. That’s the preferred nomenclature.
        I've also heard it referred to as the Star Wars generation (between release of New Hope and Return of the Jedi). I fit into that generation too and find the description accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
          Yep. Same here. I prefer "Oregon Trail" generation.
          This reminds me of a story from Reader's Digest years ago.

A guy was touring the PNW with his family and they were having a great time. They were at a spot on the old Oregon Trail where you can (supposedly) still see the ruts the wagons made when they came west. He thought it was cool, but his daughter looked depressed. He asked her why and she answered, "This is where my oxen always die."

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
            Dear sir or madam will you read kep's post, it took him years to write, will you take a look?
            Chat-room blog-ger...
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Being born in 1985 for a long time I was always on the “Oregon Trail generation” train but I’ve come to accept my “Millennial” designation. I’ve found I’ve got more in common with folks born in 1990 than in 1980 while talking about current events and such. The biggest one was Lockdown/ALICE/Active Shooter drills in schools, I was discussing them with my brothers (born 78, 80, and 82 respectively) and I mentioned “yeah, I remember when they started doing those when I was in high school” and my brothers were utterly bewildered that they’d been doing them for that long.

The Iliza clip I linked kinda summed it all up. I’m a millennial, just a weird Elder Millennial.

Also, I have an equal amount of contempt for Boomers and Gen Xers. Boomers definitely f-ed things up but Xers had a chance to intervene and do something but never have, just sat in the corner complaining about how things suck and how much they’re ignored.
              U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
              Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
              I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
              But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
              Originally posted by Doyle Woody
              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

I watched Carol last night. Made in 2015, it's a lesbian love story, and painted an accurate picture for LGBT life in the early 1950s. You could have your kids taken away from you because of a "morality clause." Having to run around in secret and really deny everything so you won't lose everything. Besides, Cate Blanchett and Rooney Mara have an excellent on-screen chemistry.

Highly recommend.
                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                  I will say this. I didn’t understand Born in the USA until relatively recently. Before that I only played it on Fourth of July holiday.

When I actually understood the entirety of the song rather than the chorus, I realized the irony of playing it as a Freedom Anthem while gaining a respect for it.

That being said, I generally don’t like his music, but that might change now that I know he doesn’t have a raging murica boner.
                  My favorite story along those lines is the music guy at the last winter Olympics playing that song as the US celebrated. In South Korea. With the words "sent me off to a foreign land, to go and kill the yellow man" blasting out on the PA system.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                    My favorite story along those lines is the music guy at the last winter Olympics playing that song as the US celebrated. In South Korea. With the words "sent me off to a foreign land, to go and kill the yellow man" blasting out on the PA system.
                    That was epic

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                      Being born in 1985 for a long time I was always on the “Oregon Trail generation” train but I’ve come to accept my “Millennial” designation. I’ve found I’ve got more in common with folks born in 1990 than in 1980 while talking about current events and such. The biggest one was Lockdown/ALICE/Active Shooter drills in schools, I was discussing them with my brothers (born 78, 80, and 82 respectively) and I mentioned “yeah, I remember when they started doing those when I was in high school” and my brothers were utterly bewildered that they’d been doing them for that long.

The Iliza clip I linked kinda summed it all up. I’m a millennial, just a weird Elder Millennial.

Also, I have an equal amount of contempt for Boomers and Gen Xers. Boomers definitely f-ed things up but Xers had a chance to intervene and do something but never have, just sat in the corner complaining about how things suck and how much they’re ignored.
                      I had the same opinion. I was apologizing to Millennials for not fixing things, and another Gen X'er corrected me. It isn't that we never had the opportunity; we never had the numbers. The Boomers were always MUCH larger as a population and were able to win elections and set policy accordingly. We never had a chance to fix things because we never had the power. Look at the presidential candidates: Most are from either the Boomers (all GOP candidates, the Dem front runners) or Millennials. The only Gen X candidates are Booker, Beto, Castro and Yang. Who are the Gen X leaders in Congress? Quick: Name five House members who were born between 1965-1980. No googling. Can't do it, can you?

The good news is that we won't have a chance to screw things up in the future because the Millennials will seize power away from us (they already are). There is a good chance we'll be the first generation to not have a president.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                        I had the same opinion. I was apologizing to Millennials for not fixing things, and another Gen X'er corrected me. It isn't that we never had the opportunity; we never had the numbers. The Boomers were always MUCH larger as a population and were able to win elections and set policy accordingly. We never had a chance to fix things because we never had the power. Look at the presidential candidates: Most are from either the Boomers (all GOP candidates, the Dem front runners) or Millennials. The only Gen X candidates are Booker, Beto, Castro and Yang. Who are the Gen X leaders in Congress? Quick: Name five House members who were born between 1965-1980. No googling. Can't do it, can you?

The good news is that we won't have a chance to screw things up in the future because the Millennials will seize power away from us (they already are). There is a good chance we'll be the first generation to not have a president.
                        Not at all. X just hasn't entered into their period of primary influence yet. Let's say they are '63-'83 (they can't cheat by artificially shortening the generation interval and then crying paucity of numbers). That means right now they are 36-56 years old. That isn't even sniffing power.

IIRC this is the first year in which Gen Xers outnumber Boomers. Go X's time is just arriving.

Everything until now is strictly the Boomers' fault. It will be for a while yet because of momentum, like the few months of a new administration really belong to the old one. But X coming into their own now. They are about to be at fault.

Also: Gen Xers aren't that much smaller in terms of a generation of native births. Even though the Boomers were larger they weren't ridiculously larger. And even tough family planning has helped women step off the baby machine treadmill the Silent Generation also had family planning. They even had -- gasp -- abortion. It wasn't legal but they did it all the time.

But if you insist on this BS granfaloon... if you are really going to insist on "generation" as something demographically meaningful then a generational interval should be equal in length to the median age at which a woman has her middle child. That used to be 20 in the 19th century. It moved up to around 25 by the mid 20th century. I suspect right now that means a generation is about 30 years.

The "real" generations are probably, roughly:

98-17 (21) Lost
                        17-40 (23) Silent
                        40-65 (25) Boomer
                        65-92 (27) X
                        92-21 (29) Millenial
                        21-52 (31) Z

And if that's the case X is now 27-54 years old. Still just kids with no power at all.

But of course generations aren't real. They are labels used for people to sell you sh-t by appealing to your vanity and oppositional identity formation. They're almost as dumb as races. "There's no youth culture, only masks they let you rent."
                        Last edited by Kepler; 09-19-2019, 04:19 PM.
                        Cornell University
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot
                          Oregon Trail was around at least as early as the mid-70's and was huge for people my age because there was nothing else like it yet.
                          It wasn't huge in the 70s. It was one of the first games that came loaded on Apple IIs that hit secondary schools. That started on the coasts in 1980 and god knows when they actually brought them out to flyover... by Conestoga wagon, presumably.
                          Last edited by Kepler; 09-19-2019, 04:18 PM.
                          Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            It wasn't huge in the 70s. It was one of the first games that came loaded on Apple IIs that hit secondary schools. That started on the coasts in 1980 and god knows when they actually brought them out to flyover... by Conestoga wagon, presumably.
                            No. We had it and every kid my age I knew played it before 1980. Born: 1967

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                              No. We had it and every kid my age I knew played it before 1980. Born: 1967
                              What year? Here is the game history. If it was "Oregon Trail" it could not have been before 1980. If it was "Oregon" the earliest you could have seen it was 1978 (which admittedly is 2 years earlier than I thought), but even then the game history says it was rare until "the mid 80s".

I remember seeing it for the first time at the computer lab at Cornell in 1982 and nobody else had ever seen it, which would be surprising given that those people had been building computers in their garages since junior high school.

I am presuming MN had electricity by 1978.
                              Last edited by Kepler; 09-19-2019, 04:25 PM.
                              Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                You might want to look at where some of the big tech firms kept offices. Rochester, MN, was known for two companies until about 20 years ago - Mayo Clinics and IBM. One was founded there, and the other located a giant campus there because of the level of education in that city. Big Blue has since dwindled its numbers in Rochester to just a couple thousand, but it certainly was a big influencer at one point.

Also, MN has between 17 and 19 companies on the Fortune 500 list at any given time, based upon stock prices on a given day. We're far from the dearth of information and tech that you like to think or pretend. We're not North Dakota, South Dakota, or Wisconsin.
                                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Working...
                                X