X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Movies 51 - Rise of the Frozen Joker: Chapter II: Dark Fate

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
    In some cases that's what movies are: commercials for other merchandise that you can buy.
    I have read that is all kids movies and TV shows are for. They're ads you pay to see.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I do understand how the business works. I also know that with Hollywood accounting anything is possible. I remember John Cleese giving an interview and saying the only film Monty Python made with Hollywood was coincidentally the only film Monty Python ever made that didn't turn a profit, hence the performers never received a share of the nonexistent profits. Fact remains that if all these reboots and remakes didn't produce profits the studios wouldn't keep making them. If people were REALLY unhappy with them they would fail at the box office and the studios would find something else.
      Yes Hollywood accounting is even dumber when you take in the lies the studio tells. The bigger the studio the more they friggin screw with the numbers. (i.e. Disney and WB are two of the worst)

Reboots are successful...just saying Ghostbusters wasnt which is why they dumped it and went back to the old timeline.

Lets be honest even critics often prefer reboots to "new ideas" especially in the age of the Bloggers. The aggregate sites are making it worse as well. Taste is dead.
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        I have read that is all kids movies and TV shows are for. They're ads you pay to see.
        I know with Ratatouille, there were no product tie-ins because food companies didn't want to be associated with a rat.

I also didn't see a lot of products associated with Inside Out.
        Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
        Patreon for exclusive writing content
        Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

This sounds a lot like what led to the death of the original studio system: enormous budgets and small margins unless you have a hit means one flop can bankrupt a studio (Cleopatra, Heaven's Gate).

If I'm an investor I want steady profit, not feast/famine. I wonder if the mega-media companies are starting to have problems finding banks. I mean, unless they own the banks now.
          I don't know the details behind the scenes at other studios, but I am a Disney shareholder so I know some of what they disclose to investors. While movies make a lot of money, it actually pales in comparison to what Disney makes at the parks. As I recall, the entire movie studio produced an $8Bn profit while the parks produced $25Bn (for a 6-month window). And that was a robust time for the studio, with a Star Wars saga and two Marvel films. While the studio may be hit by a box office failure or a bad release slate, the parks keep producing steady revenue with almost no deviation. That's where the money is. Plus, any time the studio fails at the box office it can just look at merchandising revenue and regain that Jiminy Cricket spark of confidence.

Comment

I don't know the details behind the scenes at other studios, but I am a Disney shareholder so I know some of what they disclose to investors. While movies make a lot of money, it actually pales in comparison to what Disney makes at the parks. As I recall, the entire movie studio produced an $8Bn profit while the parks produced $25Bn (for a 6-month window). And that was a robust time for the studio, with a Star Wars saga and two Marvel films. While the studio may be hit by a box office failure or a bad release slate, the parks keep producing steady revenue with almost no deviation. That's where the money is. Plus, any time the studio fails at the box office it can just look at merchandising revenue and regain that Jiminy Cricket spark of confidence.
            I was thinking the movies were just part of their diverse holdings. Makes sense. They're Conagra for entertainment.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

This sounds a lot like what led to the death of the original studio system: enormous budgets and small margins unless you have a hit means one flop can bankrupt a studio (Cleopatra, Heaven's Gate).

If I'm an investor I want steady profit, not feast/famine. I wonder if the mega-media companies are starting to have problems finding banks. I mean, unless they own the banks now.
              Nah they have tons of ways to make money which are more profitable in many ways. For comic book films or Star Wars merchandising is huge. Also the ridiculous amount of product placement. Some of the movies have technically turned a profit before they even get released. (that is where the Hollywood lying comes in since that gets put in different categories)

Plus remember the studios are part of huge corporate entities now. Movies are one arm. ATT/WB owns HBO (not to mention arguably the best TV production studio out there) and Disney has ABC. Universal is owned by Comcast. They all have built in markets for extra revenue not to mention large amounts of free advertising. That is why ESPN always pimps the next big Marvel flick
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

The other segment for movies that hasn't been mentioned is the ancillary market after the theatrical release. It may be significantly down the line, but that revenue will eventually turn the books black on a lot of movies.
                It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

They call it "corporate synergy" we call it "Hey, that's a monopoly!"

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                    If I had to guess, based upon experience, it’s because they sell a lot of merch at the parks. Not just ears and T-shirts though, more like the high end designs with backpacks, jewelry, artist prints and such.
                    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                      If I had to guess, based upon experience, it’s because they sell a lot of merch at the parks. Not just ears and T-shirts though, more like the high end designs with backpacks, jewelry, artist prints and such.
                      In Florida, hospitality probably has stupid high margins as well. Think of all the lodging options you have.

That's just one printing press cranking out $$$. The Mouse has several running 24/7, 365....
                      It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Most studios are not Disney so they can't just, "cook the books" because investors will know if they made or lost money and if they continually lost their funding would have dried up. Again if more of these movies are losing money than not they wouldn't continue to get made. What was the last giant studio to fold?

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                          Most studios are not Disney so they can't just, "cook the books" because investors will know if they made or lost money and if they continually lost their funding would have dried up. Again if more of these movies are losing money than not they wouldn't continue to get made. What was the last giant studio to fold?
                          MGM filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in 2010. Does that count? (It survived but I assume there were a sh-t ton of casualties.)
                          Cornell University

Comment

RKO in 1959.

Comment

The studios making the reboots are definitely closer to Disney than Lionsgate. Take a look around it is all big studios these days...

And all studios cook the books...when they fail they get bought out by bigger studios or go under. There is a reason why Disney owns a bunch of studios as does WB. The smaller ones bomb a film or two and have to sell out.

Check out the market share of the top 4 film companies...they run ****ed near everything.
                              -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Mergers and aquisitions seems to be the late trend for fledgling studios.

New Line Cinema sold itself to WB to fend off it's bankruptcy.

United Artists had a string of duds at the end which forced it to sell to MGM. MGM then went under (see Kepler's post above).

20th Century Fox imploded like three or four times in it's career, but somehow keep coming back.
                                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Working...
                                X